PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: verizon

michiganbroadband is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Touch Pro NO GPS Satellites being recieved even after ROM update

Hi and thanks for reading this post!

My wife just got a new TP from Verizon and I'm about going out of my mind trying to actually see this thing get a GPS fix
It's been 3 days of constantly messing with it and reading forums.. I have yet to ever see this thing actually receive any GPS satellites...
I've tried about everything I've read and still no-go.

I will be coming back here to post some of my actual results from the device.
Really now I'm pretty sure I've tried everything reasonable and almost at the point of giving up
and thinking I have a phone with a defective GPS receiver.

At this point I'm using a terminal program and looking at GPS sentences being spit out on COM4 and they are there (there's a GPS on com4) but it's not getting any satellites and I've spent 4 hours in an open field where I have a really great view of
the sky while I was testing.

I flashed and am now using the well known (MR1) latest stock rom that was released 6/11/2009 is available via a link at Verizon and supposedly 'unlocks' standalone GPS.
I don't really care about visual voicemail (haha) but I have that now as well.

Any ideas on what I should post or ask next? * * *THANKS* * *

Wanna see a bunch of GPS data that clearly shows I'm not getting any satellites?
..but that I am actually talking to the GPS chip?

I've been searching & searching for anyone else with the same problem as well..
Guess this is still all so new.. so is our phone as I have a micro SD card on order for it.. and from my understanding need that to unlock it.
and try out any of the non stock images. or build my own.

Last edited by michiganbroadband; 06-20-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G
Carrier: Sprint

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime
Re: New Touch Pro NO GPS Satellites being recieved even after ROM update

Moved to general Touch Pro forum.
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

you can flash any rom with the USB cable that came with the phone(its the charging cable). you will need activesync to connect to the PC. use any of the CDMA kitchens to put in what you want and leave out what you dont want. i have a VZN touch pro and after using SSK's kitchen i get an initinal lock in about 45 seconds but after that it takes less tha 20. try that, then report back. you have to follow the instructions about the GPS after the flash if you use SSK's rom/kitchen which was designed for the crippled verizon touch pro.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

GeorgeofGeorgia is a n00b

Is your location turned from 911 only, to on? that's what I had to do on mine.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: T-Mobile

LittleBreezes is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to LittleBreezes

Same here, all I had to was turn the location to "On" and I get a lock in about 30 seconds, even in downtown Boston. If that doesn't work for you try taking it back to Verizon if it is that new.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:49 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

so did it work b4? r u trying with vzws standard GPS thing, or with like google maps?? until you get the "fix", anything other than, is it called vznavigator, then it wont work... vzw has blocked 3rd party use of the gps...

now i dont flash ROMs, dont see the point realy, anywho, my buddy is on vzw, and has the Omnia, he just DL'd a 6.5ROM that "fixed" the blocked gps issue... i know that specfic rom you cant use, but do we have a vzw TP 6.5 rom that will do it???

the ROM developers name is Adrynalyn(sounds as adrenaline) or something very similar.. he might have a ROM for ya...

***edit.... dont take your phone back, your not suppose to get gps signal if your not using the VZW gps program, so if thats not what your using, then theres technically nothing wrong with your phone.... also, it has to be a radio issue and not a rom issue right? try switching a few different radios and see if that works
Old 06-20-2009, 09:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Gimped Pro
Carrier: Verizon

robodude2 is just getting started

Turn location on in the settings. amazegps is a good free turn by turn app
Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
so did it work b4? r u trying with vzws standard GPS thing, or with like google maps?? until you get the "fix", anything other than, is it called vznavigator, then it wont work... vzw has blocked 3rd party use of the gps...

now i dont flash ROMs, dont see the point realy, anywho, my buddy is on vzw, and has the Omnia, he just DL'd a 6.5ROM that "fixed" the blocked gps issue... i know that specfic rom you cant use, but do we have a vzw TP 6.5 rom that will do it???

the ROM developers name is Adrynalyn(sounds as adrenaline) or something very similar.. he might have a ROM for ya...

***edit.... dont take your phone back, your not suppose to get gps signal if your not using the VZW gps program, so if thats not what your using, then theres technically nothing wrong with your phone.... also, it has to be a radio issue and not a rom issue right? try switching a few different radios and see if that works
hate to tell you but your wrong. the new update for the VZN touch pro has "unlocked" the GPS for 3rd party apps.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

bigirb2002 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to bigirb2002 Send a message via Yahoo to bigirb2002

i thought verizion locked gps access on all there touch pros. i read it on this site today
Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

michiganbroadband is a n00b

So far no dice...
Thanks for all the help so far though.
Also thanks for moving this where it would get a little more exposure.

As you can probably imagine I certainly did indeed turn on the 'location on' setting in the phone.

I've tried a number of things as well in a 3 day timeframe.
It's beginning to look like
1. a defective phone (no GPS)
or
2. The Verizon update does not truly unlock GPS like it claims to do.

I'll keep you updated with my results.

Thanks and take care!

Steve

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro