PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

shark1987 is keeping up the good workshark1987 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WMLongLife like app? [EVDO when screen on, 1X when screen off]

well does it drain the battery more because it's always trying to connect to EV-DO?

i have no idea, I am kinda amazed by the whole 3-4 days without charging thing, does that actually work on 1X?
Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Holding an HSPA connection on a GSM radio DOES consume noticably more battery over a slower connection like EDGE.

The same isn't true with CDMA - an idle EVDO connection doesn't consume a substantial amount of power over a 1xRTT connection. (yes it does consume more but it's hardly noticable)

In both cases, transferring data over the faster connection does take more power, but there's a power used vs time situation.

If you have push services enabled, or things that keep your data connection alive - keeping EVDO all of the time will be better for your battery - you may consume more power when it transmits but you're doing it over less time. On the opposite side, if your phone never uses data in standby, 1x will be better because it won't have to maintain the EVDO connection.

But the difference is VERY small. It's been a while since I have been able to test because I live in an area with no service now - so I only have 1x with my Airave.

Currently, overnight on 1x only I'll lose 3% battery (12% with Sprint Mobile email running all night - it was 35% with SEVEN!). With hybrid mode enabled, so it's searching for an EVDO connection all night - worse than having one - I'll only lose 6% battery (15% with push email). Sure, it may be twice the drain, but is that really the difference between 1 day and 3? I am inclined to say no.

But I'd love for it to come out so I eat my words haha
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)
Carrier: Sprint

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s

so does this app force the 3G speed to be off all the time or on, I hate [1X] speeds
Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700

Sephious is a n00b

Guess what I don't have this problem, know why? Sprint wont put a 3g tower in my area and I constantly only get a 1x connection, guess it does't pay to live in idaho..... Although I definitely am not getting more than 7 hours off a charge. would updating my raidio help with battery life? also how can I check the radio version?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:31 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephious View Post
Guess what I don't have this problem, know why? Sprint wont put a 3g tower in my area and I constantly only get a 1x connection, guess it does't pay to live in idaho..... Although I definitely am not getting more than 7 hours off a charge. would updating my raidio help with battery life? also how can I check the radio version?
A radio switch improved my battery life more than anything else. I've had (and most have) the best results with the Telus radio.

You can see your radio version when your phone boots up, on the Touch Pro screen. The red text in the bottom right - the second line that says R - (number) is your radio version.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrake View Post
A radio switch improved my battery life more than anything else. I've had (and most have) the best results with the Telus radio.

You can see your radio version when your phone boots up, on the Touch Pro screen. The red text in the bottom right - the second line that says R - (number) is your radio version.
wouldn't the newest radio be best?? I just updated to the newest Sprint radio though I can't comment on how it's effected my battery life yet.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I don't see how this would give better battery life. I was in an area with 1X only....excellent signal in the area all the time but no EV. My battery burned up a lot quicker. This was with typical usage and my Microsoft exchange email configured.

Maybe if I had a PRL with no EVDO configured at all. If you looked at the debug screen, my phone was constantly checking the channels for an EVDO signal.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

RonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

@digiblur Correct, your battery burned up quicker as EV is still enabled and your phone is constantly searching for a EV tower to use over a 1X tower.

It really depends on the area, if you have lots of EV capable towers then EV will save you batter over 1X (Seattle has loads of EV towers but few 1X towers, Bellingham (where I live) I get full 1X service everywhere but a bouncy 3G service). For me, having it set to 1X gives me a max 3 days of battery use per charge. With EV, my battery drops to about 87 throughout the night (left on my nightstand with activesync enabled). With 1X, it drops about 4-6%.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviyth0s View Post
wouldn't the newest radio be best?? I just updated to the newest Sprint radio though I can't comment on how it's effected my battery life yet.
Try the newest Alltel 1.03.13F radio. It rocks. I was running Telus for months but this one beats the hell out of it. Check the link in my sig for some battery tips

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro