PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   sleeptracker program idea (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72138)

chaofun 06-19-2009 06:16 AM

sleeptracker program idea

Has anyone tried using a sleep tracker watch before?

From what I can tell when I sampled one, it works by sensing movement with its accelerometer. It's supposed to help you wake up feeling more refreshed by waking you when you move and make the accelerometer react. This makes sense because when you are moving, you are in a lighter stage of sleep (vs when you are in deep sleep, your body would be more still).

Since our TP's have an accelerometer, I had an idea for a sleeptracker program on our phones. By keeping the phone close to your body, it could sort of be like a watch and react to one's body movements.

Does anyone know how to create such a program? Or any feedback to this idea?

elmerfudpucker 06-19-2009 10:18 AM

Re: sleeptracker program idea

There is a program..."dont touch" or something like that, it is ment as an alarm. if i can find it i will pm you.

HBOOT 06-19-2009 10:23 AM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz j/k
I dont think having TP in contact with me sleeping would work,no way ...this seems to be a very complicated deal. No more comment on this.:scratch:

kayfouroh 06-19-2009 10:40 AM

From someone who has had numerous sleep studies, there is more to "light sleep" vs "deep sleep" than 1 accelerometer.

Good idea, though.. I guess.

shaggylive 06-19-2009 10:45 AM

it could be handy, but yea, most clinical sleep studies measure electrical current activity.

it would still be cool to have this say tied into an alarm or something.

mstevens 06-19-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 984370)
it could be handy, but yea, most clinical sleep studies measure electrical current activity.

Not really. Polysomnography tracks a wide range of variables, including multi-lead EEG & EKG, various EMG sites (tibialis, extraocular, masseter etc.), chest and abdominal respiratory effort via bands, pulse oximetry, nasal airflow, throat microphone, position sensors, and so on. Yes, I suppose in a way those measure "electrical current activity" since all the sensors are ultimately electronic. However, most of what's being monitored has little to do with "electrical current activity."

shaggylive 06-19-2009 11:59 PM

darnit jim, I'm a ppcgeek, not a doctor.. lol..
I just googled and all those terms started with Electro...
j/k

I get the point though.. I just think would be helpful to know when I move around.. cuz I know I only move when awakened.

edit. an app like this would be similar but way different than Don't Touch Me . that app sounds an alarm. (which is what the op requested.)
what I think would be cool is more of a movement log. something that could be turned into a timeline graph. when so much movement is detected it could record audio, so you can find out what's waking you up.

chaofun 06-20-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 985754)
darnit jim, I'm a ppcgeek, not a doctor.. lol..
I just googled and all those terms started with Electro...
j/k

I get the point though.. I just think would be helpful to know when I move around.. cuz I know I only move when awakened.

edit. an app like this would be similar but way different than Don't Touch Me . that app sounds an alarm. (which is what the op requested.)
what I think would be cool is more of a movement log. something that could be turned into a timeline graph. when so much movement is detected it could record audio, so you can find out what's waking you up.

Thanks for the Don't Touch Me app.

Yaaa, I like your ideas about logging. When I tested the sleeptracker watch, it had a usb chord to log the data. It's kind of cool to keep track of; although I wished it was more sophisticated. I wish the watch could monitor more in detail how my sleep was - but it just seemed like it recorded the time of movements. Supposedly, if I moved less in my sleep, I would have more average time in between movements. A bigger average time meant deeper sleep, according to their manual. ->the whole idea of the sleeptracker watch seems very simple and seems to only use the accelerometer.

It would be cool to come up with a sleeptracker program that could work like don't touch me - but be more specified for sleeping: tracking sleep movement data, having a wake up window (so the phone won't alarm until you want to wake up)

chaofun 06-20-2009 08:45 AM

For anyone interested, I've figured out how to use the DTM program combined with g-alarm to make my own sleeptracker watch.

By using a program launch alarm, I just set the time that I want to wake up around, and use the -a argument to arm it when it's launched, and bam - i have my own sleeptracker watch.

So if I want to wake up between 6 and 6:30 am, I set up galarm to launch DTM at 6am with -a in the argument field. And I'll set another regular wake up alarm at 6:30 just in case I don't move.

If I move between 6 and 6:30 (with the phone strapped to me), then the DTM alarm will sound, just like the sleeptracker watch would have. And when I wake up when I am moving, I am supposedly to have woken up in a lighter stage of sleep and will not be so groggy throughout the day.

Thanksss everyoneee

WarChild 06-20-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 984370)

it would still be cool to have this say tied into an alarm or something.

humm what if your brain could charge your pro while you sleep????lol jk its ok to tell me if that was too stupid.