PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Backing up PRL Files (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71951)

ChaosTheory 06-17-2009 12:54 PM

Backing up PRL Files

Finally! I talked to someone at Nex-tech (my provider), and found out that the only things they had to add to my phone when I did a hard reset is the PRL (Preferred Roaming List). I asked if there was a way I could get a copy of that, but she said that they can only do it at their main office and I would have to take it up there. That being said I am sure someone here knows how I can get around that, either by pulling it off my phone or something (or at least I hope so :mrgreen:). I would really like to do some major tweaking on my phone, just wary of doing so if I have to take it in everytime I hard reset.

Also, apparently Nex-tech does not support MMS messages on smartphones, the lady I talked to said it was due to their ROM. I didn't think to ask, but does a phone company have a ROM that distributes phone calls, SMS, MMS, etc? Or is she talking about the ROM on my phone? (Honestly not real clear what ROM in the case of smartphones and cell companies refers to).

Based on this new information does anyone think I will be able to flash one of the many awesome sounding ROMs on here and somehow update the PRL? With the tech support comment about the ROM, is it likely the ROMS on here will cause other problems? Is there any hope, or am I stuck to manually editing? ](*,)

Thanks!

razorloves 06-17-2009 01:29 PM

Re: Backing up PRL Files

not sure about backing up the prl. maybe someone else can chime in about that.
But, flashing the custom roms on here does not mess with the prl, so you shouldn't need to back it up.
What version number prl do you currently have on your phone?

Dragon2 06-17-2009 01:34 PM

I updated my own prl, SO I know its possible, Its just been a while since I did it and I lost the thread. But check search for prl 60750, on that thread is the instructions on Updating PRL. It had the prl file 60750 attached, basically you download the attachment, go into REGISTRY and change a few things then wait 10 min (to get the code). Then there itll make a file to edit and in there itll bring you to the Upload PRL screen, then from there you click on the PRL and itll update.

Along them lines, like I said its been a while but you can do it yourself, My wifes even done it over the phone with a sprint rep, but they do it differently. Ill see if I can find the thread but its out there.

Here is a site that should work. Read the thread youll figure it out, my steps were off a little like I said its been a while but its all there. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ight=prl+60750

Dragon2 06-17-2009 01:35 PM

And ya, hard reseting shouldnt erase prl. Since updating to the 60750 one Ive hard reseted plenty and its still the same updated version I flashed on here.:headbang:

razorloves 06-17-2009 01:53 PM

He's on Nex-Tech, not sprint. Are you saying they use the same PRL?

Dragon2 06-17-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorloves (Post 980576)
He's on Nex-Tech, not sprint. Are you saying they use the same PRL?

I wasnt really saying use the PRL, but just the Instructions on how to do it.

razorloves 06-17-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon2 (Post 980594)
I wasnt really saying use the PRL, but just the Instructions on how to do it.

oh...ok.
He was asking how to extract the prl from his phone. Not how to load a prl. That's easy. You just put the prl file in my documents and open epst and load it.

Dragon2 06-17-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorloves (Post 980603)
oh...ok.
He was asking how to extract the prl from his phone. Not how to load a prl. That's easy. You just put the prl file in my documents and open epst and load it.

its a little more complicated then that, ya need your msl code and etc. But I was thinking he could save a copy of the PRL. (since he wants it everytime he hard resets) regardless of how he gets it, extracting it from his phone, or finding it online, either way those are instructions on how to update his prl once he has the file and he wont need to speak with customer service.

Dragon2 06-17-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorloves (Post 980603)
oh...ok.

Wouldnt be much of use having the PRL if ya dont know how to load it on the phone right?

razorloves 06-17-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon2 (Post 980626)
Wouldnt be much of use having the PRL if ya dont know how to load it on the phone right?

i'm not saying your info was useless. Just saying that's not what he asked for.