PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   why it's nice to have a current backup... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71927)

jmorton10 06-17-2009 09:44 AM

why it's nice to have a current backup...

I was driving to work this morning & my phone lit up & vibrated for an incoming call, but it never rang & it is set to vibrate & ring. That seemed odd & it has always worked perfectly before, but I did make a few changes to the system last night.

I made new backups with both SPB & Sprite last night before making any changes (I always do this). After I answered the call that had not rang correctly, I soft reset the system. The system then hung on the mobile 6.5 splash screen (I am running Merdin's awesome 6.5 ROM/Telus radio) & then did the same thing two more times so it was basically unbootable.

At that point, I did a hard reset & restored the latest SPB BU file (I keep 5-6 BU's on my 16 gig card at all times). By the time I got to work (probably another 10 minutes), the system was perfect again..........

This would have been a major PITA if I didn't have a current BU.........

~John

HBOOT 06-17-2009 10:14 AM

Re: why it's nice to have a current backup...

+1 Mr Morton, in my case yesterday I only had to restore "registry" with Resco since my voicecommad stopped due to a registry clean up that I did with SKTOOLS.....nice that my restore took only 1 minute and I was back in business.....didnt have to hard reset.....that is one plus that Resco has over the others. Keep in mind that i back up with all 3 and have a copy in my laptop and on an external 120 GB tape:mrgreen:

elmerfudpucker 06-17-2009 10:18 AM

I used to work IT at a trucking company, a office worker asked me how often does she need to back-up her files. My reply "How much do you want to redo?" BU,BU,BU never can have too many!

eenieMINI 06-17-2009 08:54 PM

SPB has saved my butt quite often! I also backup before adding programs/reg edits and always save off my manila before making any changes/themes/fonts etc. Helps.. I keep a copy on the internal storage of hte Diamond, on card on the Pro... and on my laptop. I love how I can extract any file/key from the desktop app.

TheRealHotshot 06-17-2009 09:42 PM

Glad you said something about backup been meaning to back mines back mine up for sometime!!! I need to put it on a schedule backup in the future

veedubguru 06-17-2009 10:30 PM

I actually have gotten kind of used to the new Microsoft Myphone service. It's far from great for a "good" backup. I still use sashimi, and have PIM backup scheduled nightly, but if for some reason my phone gets smoked, or lost completely (SD Card still inside with my backup of course) I have something to fall back on for most of the "important" stuff.

guitardoc64 06-17-2009 10:37 PM

+1 for SPB. It's saved my as$ a number of times. I don't always restore the whole thing, especially if I'm home. I use the custom restore which allows you to pick and choose.

mikenerd 06-17-2009 10:40 PM

I always backup before installling anything new..... 2 times I have had to hard reset due to bad software.

BRIVERS73 06-17-2009 11:08 PM

Sprite Backup has worked flawlessly for me... I'm a back up feen... every time I change something on my phone I perform a backup...

TheRealHotshot 06-17-2009 11:11 PM

+1 for sprite backup