PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 09:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint

thx1200 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Sprint Touch Pro Graphics Slow Down Problem

I have a problem that has persisted through three physical Sprint Touch Pros (had to replace mine twice for unrelated reasons), three different ROMs, and two different radios. I've done the "don't install anything and see if it still happens" thing. It does. I've tried every tweak I can find. I've tried disabling multiple services, using the default dialer, disabling TF3D, and many, many, MANY hard resets, etc..etc.. basically all the stuff anybody ever tells you to do when you are having a weird problem. I just had to get that out of the way. lol.

Here's the problem. After some time (it varies -- could be as short as a few hours, or as long as a week), all GDI graphics operations and standard windows controls (eg, listboxes, listviews, treeviews, scrollbars -- basically anything that is NOT TF3D) will just completely slow to a crawl. I mean I can actually watch the scrollbar render to the screen over the course of two seconds. It's ridiculous. I use DotFred's task manager to debug things and when I run it and look at CPU usage, it's normal! I mean the CPU is almost entirely idle except for the amount of CPU used by the task manager. Audio also plays smooth, so it seems to be isolated to graphics operations.

I can't find the cause! I also can't find anybody experiencing the same problem (at least how I have described).

The only resolution I've found is to soft reset. But it gets annoying having to repeatedly do that when my phone is having a bad day (basically, the problem occurring several times in one day).

I hope somebody can at least confirm I'm not the only one experiencing this.

I've tried posting at XDA-Developers about this before (where I am much more active) but I didn't get any help (nobody apparently was experiencing this problem.

The only thing I haven't disabled before is my Exchange DirectPush because that is an absolute business need. If that's the cause, I'm going to go crazy because it's the one main thing I can't live without. lol.

Here are my specs:
Device: Sprint-branded HTC Touch Pro
ROM: MightyROM 6 (also tried MightyROM 5, and stock Sprint ROM)
Radio: Sprint 1.11.00F (also tried Sprint 1.03.15F)
Shell: Mobile Shell 3 (also tried TF3D, Titanium, and standard Today)
Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Sprint Touch Pro Graphics Slow Down Problem

Have you tried this?
Attached Files
File Type: cab htcAddicts cleanRAM v1.6.cab (305.2 KB, 26 views) Click for barcode!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

I had a similar problem with Coreplayer and a few other video players.

Softreset cleared it right up.

Almost like some apps left some buffer full of garbage. (Speculation)
Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

thx1200 is a n00b

Compusurf - That's what I was thinking, but I can't nail it down to a particular app. When I get this problem, I can close every app on the device and it never gets better. Also, I can listen to music (or watch videos or whatever) for hours and never get the problem. Then the next week, after two minutes it pops up. It's so freaking inconsistent and frustrating!

Talon - I will try that. If I could at least stop the problem after it starts (without a damn soft reset), then I would feel like I'm onto something.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it's not like a gradual slow down over time. It's like an on/off switch. I check my phone and suddenly everything is crawling. No warning! Very sudden.

Last edited by thx1200; 08-04-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

thx1200 is a n00b

I spent the past few weeks trying a multitude of over things (including cleanRAM) and I'm still having this problem and still have no solution! I can't believe nobody else is having this problem... What on earth am I doing different?

What I've tried since last post:
- cleanRAM when slow down occurs (result: 1MB freed, but no effect on performance)
- different chargers (no effect)
- not running many different apps (no effect)

What I'm trying now:
- Changing Exchange ActiveSync settings. I get the feeling not a lot of users here use Exchange, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's a setting there.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

not that this should work... but for some reason this helped a guy that had terrible scrolling issues in his threaded messaging... claiming " you could literally see the scroll bar slow creeping" or something to that effect..

he used Diamond Tweak to to either change the scroll bar to small or none and it completely fixed his scrolling issue...

although, it wouldnt really be the answer to your problem persay, but you could try that and see if it gives you better navigation through the screens...

heck, youve tried everything else, might as well ya know lol

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-17-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: changed prgram name from advanced config to diamond tweak-easier to do on Dia Twk
Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

bigirb2002 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to bigirb2002 Send a message via Yahoo to bigirb2002

most of these issues is due to poor cclean flashing when reflashing roms. remember to hard reset after rom flash. load the rom let it install customizations run clear mem hard reset again
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

thx1200 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigirb2002 View Post
most of these issues is due to poor cclean flashing when reflashing roms. remember to hard reset after rom flash. load the rom let it install customizations run clear mem hard reset again
Been there done that. Multitple devices, multiple ROMs, etc.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

thx1200 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
not that this should work... but for some reason this helped a guy that had terrible scrolling issues in his threaded messaging... claiming " you could literally see the scroll bar slow creeping" or something to that effect..

he used Diamond Tweak to to either change the scroll bar to small or none and it completely fixed his scrolling issue...

although, it wouldnt really be the answer to your problem persay, but you could try that and see if it gives you better navigation through the screens...

heck, youve tried everything else, might as well ya know lol
Although the scrollbars do visibly draw, and that's annoying, the problem is that all non-accelerated graphics slow down. The only thing that doesn't slow down is TF3D, YouTube, etc... all the things using the OpenGL drawing system. So, that might shave a few seconds off the draw time, but it introduces other annoyances... like not being able to scroll in non-finger apps. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think I may have gleaned a little into what might be happening. Today I left my phone in my car for a few hours. Oops. It was hot when I took it out because it's like a million degrees here right now. It was slowed down. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a heat thing. Most often this problem occurs after charging or playing media or some other type of situation where the phone is active. Does the graphics chip just slow down when it gets hot? It certainly doesn't speed up again later when it cools down.

I might just be chasing the wrong path (again) here, but I'm totally at a loss. I can't figure this out. I'm getting @#$#@! tired of this phone. lol. I wish Sprint had more WM PDAs to choose from.

EDIT: do you have the link to the other discussion about slow threaded messaging? I'm wondering if it's the same problem, but different manifestations... Or maybe he never noticed that all GDI drawing was uberslow and fixated on the scrollbars. Man I'd love to see I'm not alone...

Last edited by thx1200; 08-18-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

upon finding the link, im afraid i may have given you false hope for another in your situation... his fix was really all about sms lagging, but here it is

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=scroll+bar

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
graphics, slow, sprint, touch pro