PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   more backup/restore comparisons (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71677)

jmorton10 06-15-2009 09:02 AM

more backup/restore comparisons

I have three Sprint TouchPro's, all activated & working well on Verizon service.

I keep one just as a spare as I use my everyday phone for work & it is absolutely vital I have a working daily phone. In that spare phone, I test out new ROM's/programs/apps etc etc etc that might crash things in the work phone & basically experiment with it constantly.

I have full paid for versions of Resco, SPB & Sprite backup programs & have been doing constant restores from all three quite a bit. Resco is kind of an oddball as I have never used it once where it didn't throw at least one error of some kind, yet the BU's & restores do seem to work fairly well.

Lately, I have gone back & forth between SPB & Sprite quite a bit (latest version of each) & I think it makes sense to own & use both. I would give SPB a slight edge if you're doing a restore with out changing anything. In other words, you are restoring to the same device with no ROM changes. When I do an exact restore like this with Sprite, there are always a couple minor things that need fixing afterwords although they are no big deal. For instance, I notice on a Sprite restore, the people tab in TF3D always comes up empty & the contacts need to be re-added to that tab. Since I never put more than a handful of people in there anyway I don't really care, but an SPB restore does restore this function just fine. If I do that exact same restore same device & ROM) from SPB, every single thing works perfectly. Now on the other hand, if the restore is taking place on either/or a different device or ROM, this is where Sprite wins hands down.

I have done some restores from Sprite where just about EVERYTHING was different (just to see what would happen) & had them work fine. Last week, I took the Sprite BU file from my everyday phone running Merdin's 6.5 (awesome ROM) & restored it to the BU phone after flashing that phone to Mighty 4.16 & it actually booted right up & worked fine (that would NEVER work with SPB).

At this point, I have been making daily backups with all three programs & will continue to do so. I keep the BU files on a 16 gig Sandisk card, but also make sure a few of them are copied to my LT (I already had one 16 gig Sandisk burn up on me)

~John

HBOOT 06-15-2009 11:11 AM

Re: more backup/restore comparisons

Thanks for sharing Mr.Morton. I too own all 3 BU apps you mentionned. I dont do any flashing but I am always messing with new apps. I continue to back up with all 3 on two TP'S and one Mogul,but always restore with Resco, there is always one same error I get but that doesnt handicap anything. "index.dat" can not be accessed. That is a file that chills in recycle actually of Resco. I never worry bout it and all continue to work well...am still ranking the back ups as follow:
Resco
Spb
sprite

simon21 06-15-2009 11:41 AM

i have sktools from the mogul days and it seems to work fine. it comes with a bunch of useful programs like free up ram. but i only had to use it once or twice.

nxtech3 06-15-2009 11:48 AM

I like SPB Backup, Ive tried Sprite but for some reason, i guess to me what works first works best (of course i would upgrade to the different versions.