PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 01:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

xitanul is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question ¿Radios?

I've been looking at these radios here and have been thinking about flashing.. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46616

my question though is this, people have reported that other radios give them way better signal.. but is the reason why it's a better signal because it's actually roaming and using another network?

so i acknowledge you can use any networks radios (i'm on sprint) on your phone.. but does that cause your phone to roam and just not notify you about it? so in other words would i be going into roaming and have a chance of my account being cancelled because of it?

if anyone can clear this up and just tell me that these different radios is just different software code that happens to improve your signal from better coding, then great, otherwise I don't want a false sense of a better signal when it's really just roaming, thnx.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIP
Re: ¿Radios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xitanul View Post
I've been looking at these radios here and have been thinking about flashing.. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46616

my question though is this, people have reported that other radios give them way better signal.. but is the reason why it's a better signal because it's actually roaming and using another network?

so i acknowledge you can use any networks radios (i'm on sprint) on your phone.. but does that cause your phone to roam and just not notify you about it? so in other words would i be going into roaming and have a chance of my account being cancelled because of it?

if anyone can clear this up and just tell me that these different radios is just different software code that happens to improve your signal from better coding, then great, otherwise I don't want a false sense of a better signal when it's really just roaming, thnx.
i would like to know this and also whats the difference in the versions?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Using a different radio will not cause you to roam any more or less than you otherwise would. The "radio" that you flash is simply a piece of software that controls how your phone communicates with cell towers, not which towers it uses.

Most providers have their own radios (software), and each one has certain set of instructions regarding how to modulate the CDMA signal, how much power to use while doing so, and how to handle your data connection. Switching between radios will allow you to find one that works the best for you.

Rest assured, though, it won't all of a sudden cause you to get massive roaming charges on your bill.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

it has something to do with the frequency i think.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
it has something to do with the frequency i think.
CDMA mulitplexes between 800MHz and 1.9Ghz, and--regardless of carrier or radio--uses the entire spectrum between the two. Honestly, no matter what you flash, you aren't changing the radio at all: you're chaning the operating parameters the radio uses. What's being altered are the instructions for reception and transmission in those frequencies.

As a very, very, very, very basic example (and mind you, this is not a critique on individual radios, and said only for explanation sake):

Let's say Verizon manufactures their radio software understanding the majority of their users are in heavy coverage areas. Knowing this, they deprioritize battery utilization, because they assume you'll be pulling from the tower anyways. Life is great, plenty of bars, and awesome calls. Until, one day, you end up in an area with low coverage, and your battery life tanks: you aren't pulling from the tower, and the software is forcing your phone into overtime trying to use and maintain the little signal you're able to acquire.

At the same time, your friend using the same phone has the Telus radio. This radio was developed assuming you'd be in areas of low coverage to begin with, and priority was given to establishing and maintaining signal while balancing the power usage to do so. While his phone might outperform yours now, in areas of excellent coverage it will be effectively wasting power (that yours isn't), and his battery life will suffer accordingly.

Of course there's a lot more to it than that, but very fundamentally--and again, not actually radio specific--that's the point of flashing different radios. To find the one that gives you the performance you want for the area you live.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro