PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4
Carrier: Sprint

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My awkward solution for overheating while tethering.

I'm on a vacation visiting a family member and the only source of internet is my touch pro tethered to my laptop. I connected the phone with 10% battery and started browsing. After 10-15 minutes it overheated and drained the battery.

I got a ziplock bag, filled it with ice and set the phone on top of it. This worked great but it got the phone wet. I did this for 2 days and one day got tired of changing the ice. Well the water got warm but never hot. The phone got warm and never hot. The water bag works great as a heat sink

If you are in a situation where no internet is available and the phone is overheating, simply lay the back of the phone on a bad of water and download away.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

zepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: My awkward solution for overheating while tethering.

Put the phone on top of the bag with foil between the bag and the ice
Old 06-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepsamsung View Post
Put the phone on top of the bag with foil between the bag and the ice
The bag of water seems to be doing a great job without having to change out ice. Just set it and forget it. <--Hopefully I don't get sued for that line. LOL
Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I used to put it on near a fan or an AC duct during the summer, with the battery cover off. Gotta make sure your AC is using the dry internal air, otherwise condensation will form in the phone.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

It seems that an iron or rear cover that has contact with the battery and hot part of the phone is all that is needed. If something as a simple bag of water (with the cover on, extremely heavy data usage and phone closed) can completely resolve this issue then a simple heat sink better than plastic will remedy it.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

zepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzepsamsung is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqueue View Post
The bag of water seems to be doing a great job without having to change out ice. Just set it and forget it. <--Hopefully I don't get sued for that line. LOL
Who said change the ice? The foil cools it quicker than just the ice alone.
Plus it keeps the phone from getting wet.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I dont know if anybody else has done this or not, but i cut vent slots in my TP battery cover. I used a dremel tool, and put 4 vents in the cover where the battery is, and 1 on each side of the camera going the long way. I taped over a thin strip of filter material under each slot to keep dust/dirt out. I swear my TP no longer overheats, and it doesnt look goofy at all.
dschoenike

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

DomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on repDomSim is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoenike View Post
I dont know if anybody else has done this or not, but i cut vent slots in my TP battery cover. I used a dremel tool, and put 4 vents in the cover where the battery is, and 1 on each side of the camera going the long way. I taped over a thin strip of filter material under each slot to keep dust/dirt out. I swear my TP no longer overheats, and it doesnt look goofy at all.
dschoenike
you cant make a post like this without pics
Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

lol, or you mean how last week I cut a notch out by the card slot, venting + easy card access.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Lurker

rancidchris is a n00b

I put mine on a block of steel, as soon as I can get a velociraptor cage I will. Oh and I started using the new HTC wireless router and now it never overheats steel or not.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro