PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Nex-tech Wireless

ChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Multimedia Messages - New User

Hi all, I am new to the HTC Touch Pro (had it about 2 weeks now) and to smartphones in general. I am sure my questions are very basic, but couldn't find anything that answered them.

1st question: A couple of people have tried to send me multimedia messages, but I am unable to download them. I asked my provider about it (Nex-tech wireless, I belive they are affiliated with ATT) and they said that smart phones are unable to receive multimedia messages. That doesn't sound right to me! They wouldn't be very smart if they couldn't. So is it possible maybe my network just can't send a multimedia message to my phone, or is the guy I talked to clueless? If so, what do I need to do to get them working?

2nd question: What is the difference between CDMA & HSM carriers, and how do I tell which one I have?

3rd Question: I notice a lot of tweaks for Verizon, ATT, etc, but I don't see any for my specific carrier (Nex-tech Wireless). This is no big surprise, as it is a smaller company with offices mainly in Kansas. My question is, can I use tweaks for other carriers, or at least similar carriers (I am assuming this will be related to the CDMA/HSM question) without damage, or am I stuck with manually editing my phone?

Thanks for all your help!

Chaos Theory
Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Multimedia Messages - New User

Is your phone carrier branded?

Also, the Touch Pro does MMS just fine, but how that works is a lil different for each carrier.

CDMA = Carriers like Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular...
GSM = AT&T, T-Mobile...
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

1. It sounds like the guy you talked to is clueless. Nex-Tech is a CDMA network (I think) and the rate plans I saw include MMS, so it seems kinda obvious the guy was just trying to punt you.

2. Very simply, the difference between GSM and CDMA is the method in which the cell signal is modulated, and different carriers use different methods. You can usually tell by things such as the branding, the data connection type, the presence of a SIM card, etc.

3. Many of the tweaks you see around here are more related to the operating system and the phone itself than the cell technology behind it. Those tweaks are relatively harmless and can almost always be fixed. Bigger things, like unlocking and flashing, are dependent on your carrier type, and it's very important you select the right one.

Is there a Nex-Tech logo when you boot your phone, or a different carrier's logo?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

ChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuff

The name of the company that I get phone service through is Nex-tech Wireless. I belive they are associated with either Sprint or AT&T, I'll have to look a little harder to find out.

I receive a notification that I have a MMS, but either download is grayed out, or when I press download it never downloads anything.

So I should be safe as long as I stay away from flashes and unlocks, at least until I am positive of my carrier type? If it helps I am 95% sure I do NOT have a SIM card, just a battery and my SD card.

I don't believe there is any logo when I boot up, just the HTC and Windows Mobile logos.
Thanks!

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 06-08-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If you go into Start / Settings / Device Information, what does it say for ROM Version and Radio Version?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

ROM version: 1.08.573.1 Date: 2/18/09
Radio version: 1.01.15F
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

So no further support or suggestions from anyone? I am still unsure what I need to do to get MMS messages.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid
Carrier: Verizon

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277

See if you can locate the proper URL info for you're downloads. Install arcsoft MMS and change the settings from att, sprint, etc to you're carrier. See if that works for you.
1- Motorola A855 Droid
1 - Flesh Light
Old 06-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

1 yes they download mms messages. i just got one haha.
2. to tell the difference i just look for a sim card in the back. its as small as a msd card. if it has a SIM card then its probably gsm cdma that i know of do not use sim cards.
3. knowing the specific model number would help. as vesty said get the url for the phone so we can look up the hardware info and pinpoint what kinda phone this is.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

ahawke01 is keeping up the good workahawke01 is keeping up the good work

Also make sure that once the download shows complete in your web browser then you have to launch it to view it and that would be located under your file explorer. in there it would be in the file that you saved it in to review.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro