PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

imakshar is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery Life between Push Email Vs. Send/Recv.

I am sure that this question must have been asked around to save the battery life. On my current Sprint TP I use my G mail configured with Sprint Email to use the PUSH method. Good thing about it is that i get the email pretty quickly when they arrive. However, i was wondering if using a half hour or an hour interval Send/Rcv will save battery over the Push or not? Any ideas or suggestions ? I would like to save as much battery i can. What works better to save battery life.?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Elite Team Member
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6850, Q, i730, Athena tp2 ++++
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

AstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIP
Re: Battery Life between Push Email Vs. Send/Recv.

Push email is very light on battery usage and I use it all the time. Personally I would say push is better than manual checks

Donate to TP2 Elite Team: http://alturl.com/5in6
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstainHellbring View Post
Push email is very light on battery usage and I use it all the time. Personally I would say push is better than manual checks
Just curious, which push email program do you use? Seven, Hotmail....?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Elite Team Member
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6850, Q, i730, Athena tp2 ++++
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

AstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIP

Exchange
Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstainHellbring View Post
Exchange
OK. I'm still hoping Google will enable mail via Exchange. I know you can sync contacts and calendar that way, but not mail. Not sure if it will happen or not, but it would be nice....
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

I sync gmail with my touch pro using the imap idle protocol and flexmail. I can tell you with 100% certainty that manual pull every half hour saves battery life over an always on idle push connection...I just did testing on this last weekend actually...I even save battery life with 15min pull vs push...that said, I like push so I just deal with slightly worse battery life for the timebeing...really wish there was a battery stronger than 1500mah that still fit the thin profile of the stock back cover...btw, flexmail is a superior interface for either push or pull email on windows mobiles phones...other than chattermail, which I had on my palm treo 755p, I have never used anything better...
Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_c_s View Post
I sync gmail with my touch pro using the imap idle protocol and flexmail. I can tell you with 100% certainty that manual pull every half hour saves battery life over an always on idle push connection...I just did testing on this last weekend actually...I even save battery life with 15min pull vs push...that said, I like push so I just deal with slightly worse battery life for the timebeing...really wish there was a battery stronger than 1500mah that still fit the thin profile of the stock back cover...btw, flexmail is a superior interface for either push or pull email on windows mobiles phones...other than chattermail, which I had on my palm treo 755p, I have never used anything better...
I just saw Flexmail uses imap idle. I thought it used text messages in the background to simulate push email. Maybe that was another client I was thinking of. Since I don't have unlimited text messaging, anything that uses that wouldn't be ideal for me.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

it all depends on how often you need to check your email. I have mine set to thirty minutes. I dont need to have an email as soon as its sent. Normally im driving from store to store anyways so i dont need to get into an accident trying to read a non-important email. If you set pull intervals far apart it will definitely save battery life. Plus i have mine set to send and receive when i push send on an email so if im typing an email and send it, anything that is waiting to be pulled would come in anyways.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro