PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

furrycnorm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to furrycnorm
Phone as modem/data transfer at same time?

I am wondering if there is a way I can use my phone as modem on my ppc to run internet explorer on my pc, and at the same time transfer files to and from my pc to my touch pro. I am running mighty rom 5 and when I plug my phone into the usb I get 3 options:

Activesync
Data Transfer
Internet sharing

When I run the activesync option I can transfer files but cannot connect to the internet. Data transfer is just that, no internet connection either. And internet sharing I can get an internet connection, but no file sharing. In my computer the g: drive that is usually my tp is no where to be found.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra
Re: Phone as modem/data transfer at same time?

well, i know this doesn't help whatsoever, but what i do is take my sd card out and put it into the reader in the front of my computer... if it needs to go onto the phone storage, i put the sd card back in and use file explorer on the phone
Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Redneck3100

Im running the stock rom and such, and I have never really tried to do that....I will have to try that now to see if it works....but I usually do the same thing, use the sd card slot to transfer files
Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

All depends on your setup. If you have Bluetooth (BT) in your laptop you can pair up via bluetooth and do tethering via BT while ActiveSync is connected via USB or vice versa.

You can also take the card out and transfer it directly like strra stated, but I don't use that method since the bulk of my apps get installed to the card.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

furrycnorm is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to furrycnorm
Cool Re: Phone as modem/data transfer at same time?

Thanks for the help guys, yeah that isn't really what I wanted to do but it may be the only alternative. I was thinking about experimenting with some different roms to see if any of the others worked this way but I think it is something with the device itself and only being able to do one thing at a time. The reason I want to be able to do it all in one is I am running Mojopac
and I want to be able to connect my mojopac on my touch pro to a host computer while using the touch pro's internet sharing. Does not look possible so far. Anyone else doing this? I want to make it as portable as possible and do not want to carry around an sd card reader and extra cord at all times.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycnorm View Post
Thanks for the help guys, yeah that isn't really what I wanted to do but it may be the only alternative. I was thinking about experimenting with some different roms to see if any of the others worked this way but I think it is something with the device itself and only being able to do one thing at a time. The reason I want to be able to do it all in one is I am running Mojopac
and I want to be able to connect my mojopac on my touch pro to a host computer while using the touch pro's internet sharing. Does not look possible so far. Anyone else doing this? I want to make it as portable as possible and do not want to carry around an sd card reader and extra cord at all times.
The USB port can't do more than one thing at a time due to the way USB works really (it doesn't support virtual devices).

The best thing you can do is add bluetooth to your laptop internally (then nothing else to carry around) or via a super small dongle (that can stay in and be unnoticed).

That is the way I do it and I've done data + activesync too often to remember. You can also do it like you want data + "disk drive".
Old 06-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

PDAnet is a great application for tethering and transfering files through activesync at the same time. Author's site is http://www.junefabrics.com

I used to use it a lot and now just use wifi router... but it had its purpose.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

PDANet is your best bet. It's just a little tricky to keep it running and not disconnect.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro