PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 11:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro Telus
Carrier: Telus

Hiquin is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When do you Hard reset after a new flash?

I'm curious how people do this.

when you flash to a new rom, I know you're supposed to hard reset after it boots up.

my question is, do you let it boot up, do it's customizations, then reboot into the OS, and THEN power off and do a hard reset?

or, once you flash, and it loads up and is gonna do the customizations, does anyone pull the battery before it gets to that point and do a hard reset right then to save time?

whats the proper way? I've always let it boot, do the customizations, and reboot into the OS before I power off and hard reset and let it do it all over again.

also, whatever ROM you have currently running, does anyone do a hard reset to reset THAT ROM to default settings before flashing? and then flash? and then Hard reset again?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Ship Jumper
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, EVO 3D & GALAXY S 2
Carrier: The Now Network

BRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: When do you Hard reset after a new flash?

I personally let it boot up, do it's customizations, then reboot into the OS, and then hard reset it by way of a clear storage & I do it twice for good measure. Yea it takes a lil bit of time but it gives me peace of mind. I also perform a clear storage on whatever ROM I have currently running before flashing and after flashing to the new ROM I perform the procedure I stated above.... In conclusion I'm not sure if it's a right or wrong way but it's always a good idea to perform a clear storage before & after flashing, hope this help.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: X51v
Carrier: Sprint

Technology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the communityTechnology1 is a trusted member of the community
Talking Re: When do you Hard reset after a new flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman73 View Post
I personally let it boot up, do it's customizations, then reboot into the OS, and then hard reset it by way of a clear storage & I do it twice for good measure. Yea it takes a lil bit of time but it gives me peace of mind. I also perform a clear storage on whatever ROM I have currently running before flashing and after flashing to the new ROM I perform the procedure I stated above.... In conclusion I'm not sure if it's a right or wrong way but it's always a good idea to perform a clear storage before & after flashing, hope this help.
You are doing it the correct way, you are 1000% correct, always do it the way you are describing above, you will save yourself a lot of headaches later on down the line....
Old 06-06-2009, 01:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I personally let it boot up, do it's customizations, then reboot into the OS, and then hard reset it by way of a clear storage & I do it twice for good measure.
I do the same thing except I hard reset with the three button method instead of the clear storage option. I do this because I have a Sprint TP flashed & running on VZ service & if I do a "clear storage" it messes up my QPST settings.......

~John
Old 06-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

also make sure you download the correct cab files that are for your service provider. i ended up trying to send a pic message before installing the mms cab for alltel and it totally messed up my phone. (i couldnt open mms messages) so i had to hard reset and install them again and it worked fine.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jspenc3 is just getting started

I've got a question for the true gruru's out there. Why do we have to do a second (or even multiple) hard resets after running a flash? Doesn't the flash do a hard reset as part of it's "nature"?

If it's truely doing it's job, doesn't it completely clear the memory as part of the flash? These types of phones have been around for a while, is it THAT Hard for the programmers at HTC/Microsoft to develop a flash method that truely & fully clears the ROM before reprogramming it? I know for sure it gets rid of all my files, so why is a multiple hard reset necessary to get it working right??????

I've got an IT degree with CS minor and have been working in the field managing networks/systems for 15 years. When I format a hard drive while I know you can get the data back with the right tools I've NEVER seen Windows/Linux/whatever just randomly start serving up old files and crashing that would require multiple formats/reinstalls...so why do we have to do this with our PPC phones?

I'm not whining or picking a fight, I REALLY want to know on a technical level why this is necessary...

Last edited by jspenc3; 06-06-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
If it's truely doing it's job, doesn't it completely clear the memory as part of the flash?
Well, from what I've read here and at XDA, no it doesn't. As I understand it--and as always, I could be wrong--the flash process doesn't wipe the memory, it overwrites the memory and has a tendency to leave fragments of dirty data behind in the process. Doing a hard reset after a flash makes sure the storage is completely cleared before it rebuilds the image.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Quote:

I do this exactly I haven't had any problems thus far...since it was recommended I have been doing it and it has been great for me.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

HTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHTCotta is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I don't have nearly the experience you do jspenc3 but I've always wondered/felt like I was wasting my time with the hard resets. Someone have a definitive answer for this?
Old 06-06-2009, 06:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro Telus
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

Hiquin is becoming a great contributor

when you do the clear storage method, do you check the "clear NAND FLASH" option aswell? I've always done the 3 button method, never the clear storage method.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro