PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond Pro
Carrier: Sprint

executor485 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Broken USB port?

Dropped my phone the other day and ever since, the USB to PC connection hasn't worked since. It still charges just fine, but the sync to the computer is broken.
I would take it to Sprint, but considering that 1) I refuse to pay for their equipment protection when they keep raising the prices on me (I was locked in when it was $3 a month and when I changed my plan, they put it at $7 a month and wouldnt give me the price I had it for, and then they still charge you $50 to fix it). 2) I dont have a stock ROM, so they'd give me crap over that for sure 3) I opened the phone because the screen was locked in the landscape mode and did not recognize the keyboard sliding out. That part works perfectly now, just not the USB to PC, which didnt work before I took it apart either.

So... What is the recommendation? Anyone have a broken phone for me to gut or is there a place that is reasonably priced that will fix it?
Thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700<Mogul<TP<TP2<EVO 4G<EVO 3D<Next?

intrlude is keeping up the good workintrlude is keeping up the good workintrlude is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to intrlude Send a message via AIM to intrlude Send a message via MSN to intrlude Send a message via Yahoo to intrlude Send a message via Skype™ to intrlude
Re: Broken USB port?

Take a close look at the usb port, check to see if any of the teeth/pins fell out. That is your most likely culprit. I guess you could change it yourself. Search on an auction site for a "parts phone".
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

wallman is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by executor485 View Post
Dropped my phone the other day and ever since, the USB to PC connection hasn't worked since. It still charges just fine, but the sync to the computer is broken.
I would take it to Sprint, but considering that 1) I refuse to pay for their equipment protection when they keep raising the prices on me (I was locked in when it was $3 a month and when I changed my plan, they put it at $7 a month and wouldnt give me the price I had it for, and then they still charge you $50 to fix it). 2) I dont have a stock ROM, so they'd give me crap over that for sure 3) I opened the phone because the screen was locked in the landscape mode and did not recognize the keyboard sliding out. That part works perfectly now, just not the USB to PC, which didnt work before I took it apart either.

So... What is the recommendation? Anyone have a broken phone for me to gut or is there a place that is reasonably priced that will fix it?
Thanks
same thing happened to me. i took my phone in for repair and was told that i had to call the insurance company and pay 100 and a new phone would be mailed the next day. stink!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700<Mogul<TP<TP2<EVO 4G<EVO 3D<Next?

intrlude is keeping up the good workintrlude is keeping up the good workintrlude is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to intrlude Send a message via AIM to intrlude Send a message via MSN to intrlude Send a message via Yahoo to intrlude Send a message via Skype™ to intrlude

As far as flashing back to stock. Use the flash from SD procedure.

Described here.....

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...88&postcount=1

Last edited by intrlude; 06-04-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Adding information.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

the usb slot of the phone is likely part of the mainboard of the phone, which also likely contains the ESN and pretty much everything important about the phone. That's also one of the most likely parts to break, so if you're able to get a parts phone, its no guarantee that a) the ESN is clear and b) that the mainboard works period.

Also asurion is 100$ for replacement now cause they're jerks, hahah. But if you had TEP, damage like that would've likely been repaired for free.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Redneck3100

Does your phone always connect as a disk drive? Does it even try to active sync? Have you tried the ## code for enable/disable usb? May be a dumb question, but Ive overlooked the simple problems and other have helped me before . Oh, and I do hope I didn't insult anyones intelligence, and please pardon me if I did
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond Pro
Threadstarter

executor485 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
the usb slot of the phone is likely part of the mainboard of the phone, which also likely contains the ESN and pretty much everything important about the phone. That's also one of the most likely parts to break, so if you're able to get a parts phone, its no guarantee that a) the ESN is clear and b) that the mainboard works period.

Also asurion is 100$ for replacement now cause they're jerks, hahah. But if you had TEP, damage like that would've likely been repaired for free.
I've always had problems with Sprint and TEP, they want $50 to clean the dust out from under the faceplate of the phone, even though it was because the manufacturue didnt seal the face properly so that dust would collect under the screen (old phone). And I have NEVER heard of Sprint fixing a phone under TEP for free unless you threaten to leave them.

And the phone doesnt try to connect at all, but I have seen the "connect as" screen a couple of times if I jiggle the cord just right, but it dissapers as fast as it comes on, so that makes me think that something is wrong with the port :S
Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by executor485 View Post
I've always had problems with Sprint and TEP, they want $50 to clean the dust out from under the faceplate of the phone, even though it was because the manufacturue didnt seal the face properly so that dust would collect under the screen (old phone). And I have NEVER heard of Sprint fixing a phone under TEP for free unless you threaten to leave them.

And the phone doesnt try to connect at all, but I have seen the "connect as" screen a couple of times if I jiggle the cord just right, but it dissapers as fast as it comes on, so that makes me think that something is wrong with the port :S
In NY and in MA I've replaced my mogul 3 times due to various faults in the phone. First time my keyboard bonked out and kept on repeating letters. Second time, it must've been a refurbed phone or something, it kept on overheating so they replaced it in store. The one the gave me also was wonky and eventually didn't boot one morning. That's when they gave me the TP. It's funny because my original Mogul lasted through so many months without a single problem with hardware except the annoying double entry of letters, and then when I got refurbs, they had to be replaced or died within weeks. Those refurbs are terrible quality. My TP was also replaced for the keyboard issue, where it would stop recognizing keystrokes until you squeezed the space key really hard too. All 4 times Sprint replaced it without any hassle or told me to go through asurion.

These are all done through designated service and repair centers too.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro