PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Singer_Actor is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Im afraid to switch to another ROM ):

Okay I really want a new ROM for my Touch Pro from Alltel... But Im afraid it might break it or something. Im really not Tech Savy at ALL!! This is my first windows mobile phone. Im also afraid of voiding my warranty too...
Im also stuck in what ROM to choose!
I want something that will make my phone look cool, preform faster, enhance my screen touch sensitivity, and just make it allover better. With a working MP3 Player (:
But I just dont know how and Im afraid too...
Can someone explain the whole warranty things to me, and will win mobile apps still work on my touch pro with a new ROM?
Which ROM would you reccommend??
Old 06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Re: Im afraid to switch to another ROM ):

My suggestion
1. if you don't have insurance on your device, get it
2. Read this http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42503
3. Once your phone is unlocked, choose a rom. My suggestions are mighty, juicy, nrgz, bored and jmz
all of them make really good roms, NRGZ is loaded but it is very VERY fast (drawback is battery life though)
a. for speed, silence rom and cfay roms seem to be the fastest followed by scrosler's rom
b. for loaded program rom, NRGZ is the best
4. Have fun with a great new device (or a device with a new rom on it)
Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Singer_Actor is a n00b

I do have insurance on it. Once I unlock and stuff, can I do something to flash back to my original one? Like if I need to send it back so it doesnt look like I flashed it?
And that Groovy one looked kinda cool...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus
Carrier: Sprint

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

this sticky should be very helpful. check it out.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

I can't tell you there's no risk, but if you follow directions, it's very slight. Technically, you will void the warranty BUT if something goes wrong and you need to take the phone in you should be able to flash to stock and re lock, covering your steps. The directions you need are all in the upgrade section, just make sure you're flashing a rom for the CDMA Touch Pro. There is no "best" ROM, but virtually all are better than stock. For a good stable 6.1 ROM, consider MightyMikes 4 reborn. I prefer the scrolling of 6.5, but there are still more issues there than in a 6.1 based rom. Virtually all programs should work with all roms. but there are a few exceptions. You can check that ROMs thread for issues others have found. Once you get past the unlocking and flashing for the first time, it becomes easy to switch around and try a few. If you make a back up of the existing ROM with Sprite, SPB, etc., you have a quick way back to your last stable system if you're not happy with the new. Just re flash to the old rom and run the backup and everything is back to the way it was before in 15 minutes or so. I would highly recommend that you use the sd card method of flashing if you can. It's more reliable and faster. FWIW, in flashing you're not jumping into uncharted waters. The pool is crowded with a lot of users here who will gladly help you out if the water gets choppy. Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Don't worry, it's pretty much impossible to brick these phones. The Mogul was also damned near impossible to brick unless you mixed GPS radios with non GPS ROMs, or vice versa, even then it'll probably not brick.

I haven't heard a story yet of someone bricking their phone by flashing. It's always reversible, as long as you didn't drop a hammer on your phone while flashing, hahah.

MightyMikes ROM is by far the most popular ROM, so that's the one I use.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:50 PM
College ROM Teacher ESQ
Pocket PC: College ROM iphony Killer
Carrier: $print

piranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to piranah

If you want something like a stock rom, check out RSTGs roms.. they are based of the stock roms, with the extra crap removed.. he usually adds some sound stuff and other little tweaks...i would start there, since your new to everything....and just because a rom is popular, doesnt make it the best out there...try different roms, see what works for you...

Help Me Help You
Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Singer_Actor is a n00b

im really looking for a nice design, better sensitivity, more finger friendly, a way to use windows mobiles ugly theme as least as possible, better battery life, and som cool tweaks. reccomendations?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

balfredg is a n00b

stick with 6.1 for now if u want something stable 6.5 is still to sketchy for my taste
Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277

I like the new SSS rom 119 "stuffed" only found a few bugs thus far. The worst is the volume control but you can fix it by running spb mobile shell 2.0 or 3.0.
1- Motorola A855 Droid
1 - Flesh Light

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro