PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Broken USB port? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=70672)

executor485 06-04-2009 10:08 PM

Broken USB port?

Dropped my phone the other day and ever since, the USB to PC connection hasn't worked since. It still charges just fine, but the sync to the computer is broken.
I would take it to Sprint, but considering that 1) I refuse to pay for their equipment protection when they keep raising the prices on me (I was locked in when it was $3 a month and when I changed my plan, they put it at $7 a month and wouldnt give me the price I had it for, and then they still charge you $50 to fix it). 2) I dont have a stock ROM, so they'd give me crap over that for sure 3) I opened the phone because the screen was locked in the landscape mode and did not recognize the keyboard sliding out. That part works perfectly now, just not the USB to PC, which didnt work before I took it apart either.

So... What is the recommendation? Anyone have a broken phone for me to gut or is there a place that is reasonably priced that will fix it?
Thanks

intrlude 06-04-2009 10:23 PM

Re: Broken USB port?

Take a close look at the usb port, check to see if any of the teeth/pins fell out. That is your most likely culprit. I guess you could change it yourself. Search on an auction site for a "parts phone".

wallman 06-04-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executor485 (Post 955746)
Dropped my phone the other day and ever since, the USB to PC connection hasn't worked since. It still charges just fine, but the sync to the computer is broken.
I would take it to Sprint, but considering that 1) I refuse to pay for their equipment protection when they keep raising the prices on me (I was locked in when it was $3 a month and when I changed my plan, they put it at $7 a month and wouldnt give me the price I had it for, and then they still charge you $50 to fix it). 2) I dont have a stock ROM, so they'd give me crap over that for sure 3) I opened the phone because the screen was locked in the landscape mode and did not recognize the keyboard sliding out. That part works perfectly now, just not the USB to PC, which didnt work before I took it apart either.

So... What is the recommendation? Anyone have a broken phone for me to gut or is there a place that is reasonably priced that will fix it?
Thanks

same thing happened to me. i took my phone in for repair and was told that i had to call the insurance company and pay 100 and a new phone would be mailed the next day. stink!

intrlude 06-04-2009 10:32 PM

As far as flashing back to stock. Use the flash from SD procedure.

Described here.....

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...88&postcount=1

Darkjedi 06-05-2009 10:55 AM

the usb slot of the phone is likely part of the mainboard of the phone, which also likely contains the ESN and pretty much everything important about the phone. That's also one of the most likely parts to break, so if you're able to get a parts phone, its no guarantee that a) the ESN is clear and b) that the mainboard works period.

Also asurion is 100$ for replacement now cause they're jerks, hahah. But if you had TEP, damage like that would've likely been repaired for free.

Big Redneck3100 06-05-2009 11:09 AM

Does your phone always connect as a disk drive? Does it even try to active sync? Have you tried the ## code for enable/disable usb? May be a dumb question, but Ive overlooked the simple problems and other have helped me before ;). Oh, and I do hope I didn't insult anyones intelligence, and please pardon me if I did :)

executor485 06-05-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjedi007 (Post 956453)
the usb slot of the phone is likely part of the mainboard of the phone, which also likely contains the ESN and pretty much everything important about the phone. That's also one of the most likely parts to break, so if you're able to get a parts phone, its no guarantee that a) the ESN is clear and b) that the mainboard works period.

Also asurion is 100$ for replacement now cause they're jerks, hahah. But if you had TEP, damage like that would've likely been repaired for free.

I've always had problems with Sprint and TEP, they want $50 to clean the dust out from under the faceplate of the phone, even though it was because the manufacturue didnt seal the face properly so that dust would collect under the screen (old phone). And I have NEVER heard of Sprint fixing a phone under TEP for free unless you threaten to leave them.

And the phone doesnt try to connect at all, but I have seen the "connect as" screen a couple of times if I jiggle the cord just right, but it dissapers as fast as it comes on, so that makes me think that something is wrong with the port :S

Darkjedi 06-05-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executor485 (Post 956744)
I've always had problems with Sprint and TEP, they want $50 to clean the dust out from under the faceplate of the phone, even though it was because the manufacturue didnt seal the face properly so that dust would collect under the screen (old phone). And I have NEVER heard of Sprint fixing a phone under TEP for free unless you threaten to leave them.

And the phone doesnt try to connect at all, but I have seen the "connect as" screen a couple of times if I jiggle the cord just right, but it dissapers as fast as it comes on, so that makes me think that something is wrong with the port :S

In NY and in MA I've replaced my mogul 3 times due to various faults in the phone. First time my keyboard bonked out and kept on repeating letters. Second time, it must've been a refurbed phone or something, it kept on overheating so they replaced it in store. The one the gave me also was wonky and eventually didn't boot one morning. That's when they gave me the TP. It's funny because my original Mogul lasted through so many months without a single problem with hardware except the annoying double entry of letters, and then when I got refurbs, they had to be replaced or died within weeks. Those refurbs are terrible quality. My TP was also replaced for the keyboard issue, where it would stop recognizing keystrokes until you squeezed the space key really hard too. All 4 times Sprint replaced it without any hassle or told me to go through asurion.

These are all done through designated service and repair centers too.