PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700
Carrier: Sprint

rickyowitt is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Touch Pro Phone as Modem?

Recently, our eighteen month old daughter dropped my PPC 6700 and cracked the screen, forcing me to call Asurion to have another one shipped to me. I was suprised to find there were no PPC-6700s in stock and was given an HTC Touch Pro. While I think it's a decent phone, I can't seem to get the 'internet sharing' to work. I called Sprint and was told that my plan (the Everything plan, so I thought) didn't include using my phone as a modem. I find that hard to believe, considering I had the exact same plan with my 6700 and never had an issue. I'm wondering if, perhaps, the guy didn't know what he was talking about and whether I can get the 'phone as modem' working with a fresh ROM. Can someone give me some guidance on this? I would greatly appreciate it. I tried a few times to search for a similar thread but was unsuccessful. I apologize if I'm posting a new thread in error.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Re: HTC Touch Pro Phone as Modem?

I'd be more enthusiastic about getting a TP as an upgrade from a 6700, but that's just me.

Refine your search for "tethering" and/or "internet connection sharing" and you'll come across the relevant threads. The CSR is (ridiculously) correct - Sprint does not offer "Phone as Modem" as an add-on to the Simply * plans. I think it's a crock of mule muffins myself, but this is how the carriers choose to do business. I may be in the minority but I would happily pay $15 per month on top of my data plan for sanctioned tethering up to a reasonable limit. LOL@Sprint for not recognizing that, but whatever.

Tethering involves a couple of registry edits and then you can use either bluetooth (slower) or USB (better). And of course don't use it a lot, because they might get wise to your tethering.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 PM
j_j
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

j_j is keeping up the good workj_j is keeping up the good work

in the essentials thread it speaks of hacking it to work
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

but actually they weren't kidding about the the tethering plan, it's only available on the talk only plans by then adding power vision and then phone as modem

Last edited by j_j; 06-01-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Side note to the convo... the rep I spoke with at Alltel told me the $40 a month "tethering" add-on package was actually only for "tech support," (seriously), and that if I could work it myself I didn't need to purchase it. She said that while trying to sell me a Blackberry though, I had to take it with a grain of salt. >.>
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rickyowitt is a n00b

All,

Using the information given, I have gotten it to work. In celebration, I'm posting from my tethered laptop. Thank you all so much!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rickyowitt is a n00b

Oh... And one more thing... I'll certainly agree that I could have sounded more enthusiastic about getting the Touch Pro as a replacement. I was ecstatic. I was wanting a Mogul for the longest time and was disappointed to hear they'd been discontinued. When I called about the 6700 being damaged (and I'd cooked this one to perfection) and the guy said they didn't have any, I was so afraid that I'd get some cheesy flip-phone once he said they didn't have any Moguls. He then said, "we do have the replacement for that; The Touch Pro", I nearly wept. Fighting back the glee, I said, "Well, that will have to do". Thank God. Knowing my luck was on the upswing, I almost walked into work and quit my job... I didn't, but I considered it!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyowitt View Post
Thank God. Knowing my luck was on the upswing, I almost walked into work and quit my job... I didn't, but I considered it!
Rofl!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 PM
j_j
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

j_j is keeping up the good workj_j is keeping up the good work

yeah that essentials thread is good if you just got the thing, and the roms on here are amazing compared to stock
Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

LOL I'm glad to hear you were actually more excited than your OP let on. And nice job getting it working so quickly! Sometimes half the battle is knowing what to search for.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro