PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Resisting the move to 6.5... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=70287)

IM0001 05-31-2009 09:13 PM

Resisting the move to 6.5...

Well for a while now I have loved my TP and WM 6.1 on it. Runs reliably, stable, and such.. Up until recently. I recently went from the eRice Kitchen 21109 to the eRice 21500 6.5 rom. I was interested in the new 6.5 ways of the start menu and the interesting 6.5 Today Screen... Sadly I hated the rom due to 2 things. The start menu and the fact that it made my phone soo ridiculously slow. That was exactly what I was trying to get away from with the 21109 kitchen which was slow but at least it was reliable when it worked.. (It had a problem booting up when the battery went dead and would pretty much lock before it would launch TF3D causing the phone to be useless until it rebooted correctly after god knows how many soft resets. Either way this left a bad taste of 6.5 in my mouth. If there is any way to remove the 6.5 start menu and keep my phone running fast after only a day or 2 of use let me know please. Anyway I moved onto the PPCKitchen 21042 Kitchen. After cooking a rom to perfection and flashing it to my phone I was in love. It was fast, stable, and quite feature filled with a few changes to the OEM's I had never used before. What I was most happy with was the battery life went up considerably and the speed remained even after a day or 2 of use. What got me back down though was a serious and annoying problem (I am still trying to figure out if it is ROM based or Hardware based). My TP would have selective Amnesia. It first forgot (Hint: Deleted) Everything that was in my Program Files directory. I thought it might have been just a bad program I recently installed so I hard reset and tried again. This next time it forgot how to be a Phone, lost everything for Live Search, my Contacts, and a few other things. This was not good. I then decided to cook me up a little Calkulins 21046 Kitchen. Thinking it might have been just something to do with the older rom I cooked me up a new one and flashed it. At first it seamed pretty good up until about 2 days in. I noticed a few things. One it would do the same crappy lockup on boot randomly when the battery died. (the battery life was ok I just push my phone to death a lot lol). That wasn't all. SO far it hasn't deleted anything serious, but it does seam to corrupt any .wav files I put into my Windows folder to use as system events and such. I can put the files in there and use them for that boot, but when they are activated by the event they are set too (say a Text Message) the 4 led lights for the call buttons, home and back buttons will remain lit until I soft reset. Once I soft reset the sound files are corrupted and make no sound when played. Finally the new rom also has major slowdowns that make the phone almost unusable just like the old 6.1 or that 21500 6.5 rom.

So theres my story. Does anyone have any good ideas on where to go from here? I figured I might as well flash a stock Sprint rom and take the phone back to Sprint saying the memory has gone bad. But either way there are soo many damn roms now that have absolutely nothing I want in them. I do not want the latest Rhodium TF3D since it still has to many bugs, I do not want the 6.5 Start menu nor do I want that Titanium Today Screen instead. And I do not like having a rom with lots of stuff I never use in it which is why I like cooking my own roms. A lot of the OEM's included in so many of the roms go out of date with upgrades it makes you have to reflash to upgrade it. I consider myself a pretty advanced tech with a lot of skill and knowhow about both computers, PocketPC's and such, but my time is getting ever more limited and I hate having to waste 6+ hours trying to get a simple rom to work right on the phone.

I am wondering what would be the Latest and fastest, most stable, reliable, 6.1 sys and if there is one I could fix to be like 6.1, a 6.5 sys that people can say they are enjoying and not loosing productivity over?

Long I know but I have gotten kinda fed up while getting ever more confused over the last few weeks and my time is getting less not more now that I graduated.

shaggylive 05-31-2009 09:24 PM

Re: Resisting the move to 6.5...

so tell us what your thinking.. :)

well, I guess there's a new 6.1 sys 2105? I think mighty will release tomorrow.
otherwise the cleanest rom I've seen so far is dcd's .96 (21046 sys) rom

IM0001 06-01-2009 12:47 AM

Ya I know I like to type my mind but I have been looking around for a good kitchen/rom for this thing and its just a lot harder then in the old days with the 6700 and 6800. Now everybody and their mom can make a rom and its hard to find the one good one.

shaggylive 06-01-2009 12:56 AM

yea, every time I start cooking I get all distracted by some new mystery, else you'd see one by me out there.

IM0001 06-01-2009 01:07 AM

What bums me out is the one I cooked from the PPCKitchen ran so good when it wasn't loosing its mind that I almost wanted to post it up. Maybe I still can to see if anyone else gets the memory loss problem. If not then I would know its hardware based. Anyone willing to try it out?

shaggylive 06-01-2009 01:10 AM

btw, have you checked out CleanRam? it was specifically created to clean up after tf3d.

jmy72 06-01-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IM0001 (Post 947356)
What bums me out is the one I cooked from the PPCKitchen ran so good when it wasn't loosing its mind that I almost wanted to post it up. Maybe I still can to see if anyone else gets the memory loss problem. If not then I would know its hardware based. Anyone willing to try it out?

Isn't that sorta like handing someone a gun and asking "Hey can you shoot yourself with this, It hurt like hell when I did it, and I just wanted to see if it is the same for you" LOL. actually I have a crappy touch pro that I pretty much use just for charging an extra battery that I would be glad to throw it on it and see what happens. I mean, if it kills it, well I only use it for charging extra batteries anyways.

delawaresace 06-01-2009 09:28 AM

+ 1 for the new DCD rom. it seems to be exactly what your looking for. fast, stable, and 6.1

IM0001 06-01-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmy72 (Post 947449)
Isn't that sorta like handing someone a gun and asking "Hey can you shoot yourself with this, It hurt like hell when I did it, and I just wanted to see if it is the same for you" LOL. actually I have a crappy touch pro that I pretty much use just for charging an extra battery that I would be glad to throw it on it and see what happens. I mean, if it kills it, well I only use it for charging extra batteries anyways.

I wouldn't say the rom is that bad. I would doubt that a rom would actually damage hardware. It would mainly be for the guys who either have an extra phone like yourself, or those that are Flasher Freaks lol who love to flash, tweek, test, tune, rinse, repeat.