PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 04:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The case in the box is crap

I ran across the street yesterday, and the completely-secured flap of the stock Sprint case the phone came with came loose, launching the phone into the asphault. Darting in front of an oncoming car to save the now-separated phone, battery, and cover from certain death, I wondered whether it would still work.

It works, but it is dented and scratched up, especially the edges. I was incredibly mad, and set off to determine how it happened. I am very careful to secure the case tightly.

Here's an experiment. Put the Touch Pro in the Sprint case, kneel on the carpet, and shake it in a motion like running. Watch how fast the velcro comes loose and the phone falls to the carpet. Look at how the velcro meets itself. It barely even touches with how the case is built. It almost misses the other side. You can blow hard at the edge and break it loose.

So I called Sprint, determined to get a replacement. After 8 transfers over an hour and a half and much finger-pointing (It's an Asurion thing! No, it's a Sprint thing! There's a deposit for that! No, Sprint should wave it!), Sprint finally agreed to replace the phone. I expected more of a fight, but there certainly was enough of one. At least they did the right thing in the end.

Let this be a warning to anyone who thinks about using the crappy stock belt case. Find a third-party one. It may save you either $100 or a very long, tiring discussion with Sprint support. It's not exactly easy to explain how the phone getting dented on a road isn't your fault, and it isn't a fun time.

Last edited by AndyCR512; 05-29-2009 at 04:08 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: The case in the box is crap

my best advice: get the oem case from the sprint store. it even has a belt clip!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:54 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

i use mine all day every day with no problems. im up\down all day on my tractor and it never let me down.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

grinn is a n00b

That's pretty awesome that they're replacing the phone! The case that came with my Telus one seems to be pretty durable. The velcro's holding very tightly for now. Then again, it's only a few days old...
Old 05-29-2009, 05:45 PM
carvation

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

i ditched my stock case a long time ago for a magnetic 1 when my beautiful original tp (on my second 1 b/c of water damage even though it still worked) hit the cement, i was p@#$%d, so i went got 1 from the mall
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
i use mine all day every day with no problems. im up\down all day on my tractor and it never let me down.
I would recommend trying the test, and see what happens. I wouldn't want it to happen to you. Mine was fine for a few months, but I started running rather suddenly, and a few strides in it happened.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 PM
carvation

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinn View Post
That's pretty awesome that they're replacing the phone! The case that came with my Telus one seems to be pretty durable. The velcro's holding very tightly for now. Then again, it's only a few days old...
that velcro will eventually lose its sealability and ultimately fail
Old 05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

+ 1 for the good fight you put up man,that is the spirit
+1 Mr 8820 for suggesting Sprint oem with clip (back is hard as phuk to get out though if you are planning to change battery dont get it)
+1 case that comes with tHE TP is ugly,cheap and unsecure, ditched that biatch in minutes after I got it last year..

Last edited by HBOOT; 05-29-2009 at 05:55 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

jmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jmy72 Send a message via Yahoo to jmy72

I like the magnetic one also. It keeps the lid closed and secure. I wear it when I go jogging and I never have a problem.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

robp23 is keeping up the good workrobp23 is keeping up the good workrobp23 is keeping up the good work

+1 On the back being hard as hell to get off on the sprint oem with clip. Good case though other than that.

Thank god for my Scotch and Irish blood!
Blow'em Up, Shoot'em Down', Make'em ALL Hug The Ground!
Know your rights! Don't let the beaurocrats make your choices. Remember "For the people, by the people"

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro