PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   TP oem housing finally? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=70003)

enzyme 05-28-2009 01:11 PM

TP oem housing finally?

I own a sprint TP. Since day one I've disliked the silver battery cover and the chrome bezel on the sides. I find the hard casings distasteful because it makes the phone so much more bulkier. Have searched for an all black housing to no avail until today.

http://www.truesupplier.com/oem-blac...-pr-17336.html

The photos do look very much like the Sprint version, but I cant be sure because I have no been up close with the TPs from other carriers. Looks like site is not in the US, so, chances are it might be GSM. I have not received email back from them yet.

Description does not specify wether it is for cdma or gsm. As far as I know, all the TPs in the US are different in shape and sizes, which means housings between them are NOT interchangable correct? What do the expert eyes of PPCGeeks think?

jmy72 05-28-2009 02:12 PM

Re: TP oem housing finally?

I looked into this for you. I called True Suppliers and they state that this was originally designed for the GSM version of the Touch Pro, but say that the CDMA version will fit in here just as well. A word of warning though. This is not a simple operation like adding a normal faceplate. You have to disconnect the LCD screen and button controls from the top section so that you can the internals out to put in the new case. So if you break a wire or something, it's all on you. This is not a faceplate, rather it is the entire OEM Housing for the Touch Pro.

flindil 05-28-2009 02:25 PM

That looks like an involved process, but its a great option to have. I dropped my phone on the concrete and took a big chuck out of the frame and scratched it all to hell, I have been trying to find touch up paint and had to settle on nail polish =/

enzyme 05-28-2009 03:07 PM

Thank you very much JMY. Yeah, I am aware this wouldnt be like the average faceplate switcharoo. I already knew I cant do this myself, I was planning on paying someone from World of Wireless to do this for me. Its a mobile phone store that offers a lot of customizing, unlocking etc services. I'll probably find someone first before I buy it as well. The dogon thing is expensive, if can be pulled off, to me would be worth every pretty penny.

By the way, did you happen to find out where True Suppliers is located? The phone number listed was definitely not USA, reason why I did not call.

DrSuSE 05-28-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enzyme (Post 940721)
By the way, did you happen to find out where True Suppliers is located? The phone number listed was definitely not USA, reason why I did not call.

China, according to their "About Us" page.

ephone1 05-28-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmy72 (Post 940614)
I looked into this for you. I called True Suppliers and they state that this was originally designed for the GSM version of the Touch Pro, but say that the CDMA version will fit in here just as well. A word of warning though. This is not a simple operation like adding a normal faceplate. You have to disconnect the LCD screen and button controls from the top section so that you can the internals out to put in the new case. So if you break a wire or something, it's all on you. This is not a faceplate, rather it is the entire OEM Housing for the Touch Pro.

I thought the CDMA version was thicker than GSM? It would be nice to get rid of the chrome if does fit. Who wants to go first?

intrlude 05-30-2009 05:01 AM

Think I'm gonna take a crack at it. Hope to have it on by sometime next week. Worst comes to worst, I'll magic marker my send/end keys with their common colors (green/red).

enzyme 05-30-2009 10:23 AM

I think I am as well, as soon as I find the plastic surgeon to perform the operation. If anyone else tries, please keep this thread posted. Ive yet to see anything available like this for cdma.