PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   GPS on, Phone Off (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69747)

rlmentz 05-26-2009 01:30 AM

GPS on, Phone Off

Is there a way I can turn off the phone radio, yet allow GPS to work? I have TomTom installed and want to use the device strictly as a GPS device. When I turn off the phone and start TomTom, it says its in flight mode and will not get a GPS lock.

Running Copper ROM.

Thanks

lilbitz_1018 05-26-2009 01:53 AM

Re: GPS on, Phone Off

Some GPS programs require a data connection to be able to get a lock. I believe that some do not require one though. If im correct, TomTom is one that does need a connection.

rlmentz 05-26-2009 01:59 AM

It uses a map file set out on the SD card. Maybe im assuming, but I was under the impression that any gps software that uses map files did not need an internet connection.

lilbitz_1018 05-26-2009 02:05 AM

Well I'm thinking also that it's only gonna show the map but not give directions. If its not even showing the map area then I'm not sure why. But its not gonna give any active directions or locations without the connection

strra 05-26-2009 02:06 AM

i was able to do it on my touch when i had that but i can't seem to get it to work on my tp... i'll play with it more and i'll let you know if i figure something out

rlmentz 05-26-2009 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strra (Post 935727)
i was able to do it on my touch when i had that but i can't seem to get it to work on my tp... i'll play with it more and i'll let you know if i figure something out

Thank you, I appreciate it.

neoshi 05-26-2009 03:03 AM

i was wondering the same thing in the plane today trying to figure out how many more miles i had left to get home.

BigMrChimps 05-26-2009 03:38 AM

Guys, the GPS is different than what you buy in the store to go hunting. I work on the systems just so you know. The gps in the phone is being triangulated by your position between the towers with the radio. In essance you cannot run the GPS without having the radio on and the system allowing you to triangulate your position. all of that is regulated by the phone companies.

cruiser78 05-26-2009 04:02 AM

I just tried turning the phone radio off and in Garmin Mobile XT, it got a GPS fix no problem. Don't see why the GPS would work only with the phone radio on. Are you putting it into flight mode instead of just turning the phone radio off? Flight mode probably would disable GPS as well. I don't use TomTom so I can't you out with that program in particular but I can tell you that the GPS does work without the phone radio. :)

intrlude 05-26-2009 04:14 AM

It is very software related. I too turned my radio off and tried Sprint TeleNav and GoogleMaps. Neither of which worked. They both require a data connection for access to info on search items (ie: banks, images etc.). Tom Tom should be more reliant on loaded maps, unless the units sold from Tom Tom itself have some sort of data connection.