PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-pro/)
-   -   Sprint wants $120 to replace my defective Touch Pro (D-Pad Broken) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-pro/69725-sprint-wants-120-replace-my-defective-touch-pro-d-pad-broken.html)

nerdtalker 05-25-2009 09:35 PM

Sprint wants $120 to replace my defective Touch Pro (D-Pad Broken)

Well today my Touch Pro's D-Pad stopped working. All of the buttons are completely unresponsive, with no explanation whatsoever. Yesterday I noticed that the dial button stopped working, but thought nothing of it since it's usually finicky to begin with. When I woke up today, however, everything stopped working.

I went into the Sprint (corporate) store I always go to and explained the situation to them. They took it to the repair desk, and the guy came back, asked me if I had insurance (Ironically I canceled it this last billing cycle because of the increased deductible), and then told me that it would cost $120 to replace. I immediately told him that I'd have to think about it.

Last time I checked, this kind of thing was covered to begin with (since it was defective), and repairs were $50. I asked the rep, who said that the cost of smartphone repairs had been increased to $120. Does anybody know about this? I'd like to get the phone replaced as using it without a D-Pad is odd, and the device itself is acting very slow (I think it thinks buttons are being constantly pressed).

BRIVERS73 05-25-2009 09:38 PM

Re: Sprint wants $120 to replace my defective Touch Pro (D-Pad Broken)

Last time I checked it was a $100 deductible if u had insurance... a $50 increase not $70...

nerdtalker 05-25-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by journeyman73 (Post 935335)
Last time I checked it was a $100 deductible if u had insurance...

It is, however, I canceled insurance just before this billing cycle completed.

Even better, the Sprint rep said the $100 deductible is only for lost or stolen replacements, and that they would have done it for free if I had it.

Dr.8820 05-25-2009 09:40 PM

1st thing you should do is get tep back. i've never been charged for a replacement.

nerdtalker 05-25-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 935337)
1st thing you should do is get tep back. i've never been charged for a replacement.

I wish I had kept it now, too bad I can't get it back.

lokalori 05-25-2009 09:42 PM

my last check was 50$ for insurance deductible. You need to get sprint phone protection plan. It covers your phone for defects and there is no deductable. you should also have a 1 year warranty

Dr.8820 05-25-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdtalker (Post 935339)
I wish I had kept it now, too bad I can't get it back.

yes you can. may is open enrollment for tep thru sprint. they will accept a phone you bought off ebay as long as you catch them before may ends.

nerdtalker 05-25-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 935347)
yes you can. may is open enrollment for tep thru sprint. they will accept a phone you bought off ebay as long as you catch them before may ends.

That would be sweet. What about the current one?

Any chance you know the number or is the best way through *2 still?

Dr.8820 05-25-2009 09:50 PM

it was on sprint.com. i'll check right quick....

BRIVERS73 05-25-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdtalker (Post 935336)
It is, however, I canceled insurance just before this billing cycle completed.

Even better, the Sprint rep said the $100 deductible is only for lost or stolen replacements, and that they would have done it for free if I had it.

That Rep speaks the truth.... I've been with Sprint for a long time & I've had several Moguls & 6700s replace after they've become inoperable & through it all I was not required to pay the deductible once after the tech learn he was unable to fix it...

Dr.8820 05-25-2009 09:59 PM

to the op, i didn't see it but i know it exist. call *2 tomorrow. on a side note, you really only pay the deductable for lost, stolen, or physically damaged phones(including water damage). so they let scratches and things like that go but if it looks like it's been run over by a truck, you'll be charged.

lwrdrchvy2 05-25-2009 10:01 PM

There have been multiple changes to the way insurance works on repairing/replacing phones. The increase in deductible that everyone refers to of going from $50 to $100 is through Asurion when you have to claim your phone lost/stolen or water damage. The repairs in store used to top out at $55 but now they have began charging the full price for parts when you do not have insurance because they were losing so much money, thats why you were quoted $120. If you have insurance there is no in-store charge. This page has a breakdown...http://www.nextel.com/en/services/se..._service.shtml

Zombie Scott 05-25-2009 10:01 PM

Why not contact HTC. Don't these phones have a 1 year manufactuer warranty against hardware defects?

lwrdrchvy2 05-25-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Scott (Post 935377)
Why not contact HTC. Don't these phones have a 1 year manufactuer warranty against hardware defects?

The phones do have a 1 year warranty but it requires that you send the phone to HTC for their technicians to evaluate and make sure that it was a manufacturer defect which can take up to 2 weeks and most people do not want to be without their phone that long.

Dr.8820 05-25-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 (Post 935383)
The phones do have a 1 year warranty but it requires that you send the phone to HTC for their technicians to evaluate and make sure that it was a manufacturer defect which can take up to 2 weeks and most people do not want to be without their phone that long.

wasn't there a thread about someone that sent theirs back and htc said it was user error and wanted to charge them for repairs?

Vertigo 05-25-2009 10:33 PM

Welcome Back to My Sprint

Signed on as ************ | Sign Off

Login to Chat
Account Alerts

* Take advantage of open enrollment in Total Equipment Protection during May
* Find out if your plan fits your needs with the Sprint Plan Optimizer.

you might be lucky after all! go sign up for insurance again and wait a few weeks...

lwrdrchvy2 05-25-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 935404)
wasn't there a thread about someone that sent theirs back and htc said it was user error and wanted to charge them for repairs?

I haven't seen that thread but it wouldn't suprise me if that happened.

Dr.8820 05-25-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 (Post 935462)
I haven't seen that thread but it wouldn't suprise me if that happened.

yeah, it was crazy. i remember reading it and thinking i'm glad i've got tep!

mcw 05-25-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Scott (Post 935377)

I've dealt with this ever since the Mogul - HTC does NOT cover warranty directly for end users with SPRINT service. Your warranty is handled directly by Sprint.

Tell Sprint that the phone is covered under a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, and that they are liable for it. If they tell you otherwise, tell them to call HTC on a 3-way call and that you will gladly wait for confirmation. I've had to do this a few times, and it's annoying, but Sprint is the warranty handler for all Sprint-branded HTC phones, so you should not be charged anything as long as it wasn't something you did.

If you need the HTC technical support number, I can provide that as well - they will tell you that the Sprint-branded phones are covered by Sprint, not HTC. Of course, HTC will gladly accept it for repair, and will charge if they have to, but you might as well not go through that.

lwrdrchvy2 05-26-2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcw (Post 935525)
I've dealt with this ever since the Mogul - HTC does NOT cover warranty directly for end users with SPRINT service. Your warranty is handled directly by Sprint.

Tell Sprint that the phone is covered under a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, and that they are liable for it. If they tell you otherwise, tell them to call HTC on a 3-way call and that you will gladly wait for confirmation. I've had to do this a few times, and it's annoying, but Sprint is the warranty handler for all Sprint-branded HTC phones, so you should not be charged anything as long as it wasn't something you did.

If you need the HTC technical support number, I can provide that as well - they will tell you that the Sprint-branded phones are covered by Sprint, not HTC. Of course, HTC will gladly accept it for repair, and will charge if they have to, but you might as well not go through that.

I worked in a corporate sprint store that was a service center for 2 years and never heard of this. We constantly referred people to the manufacturer to take advantage of the manufacturer warranty and had cards to provide customers with a list of the manufacturer phone numbers. Sprint is only liable for the 1st 30 days. I did leave the company before HTC started putting phones out without cooperation from UTStarcom or Audiovox, so maybe Sprint and HTC have a different setup but none of the technicians or employees I know have heard of that being the case. It would be so much easier if that was the case but you are the first I have heard of getting manufacturer warranty resolved in store.

twilk 05-26-2009 02:18 AM

You get the insurance. You cant claim the phone for 30 days but they might let you swap it out for free as soon as you have insurance. If that doesnt work get insurance activate an old phone and once you have your insurance for 30 days you can reactivate the TP and then have that swaped out for free at the repair center.

The only time you pay a deductable with insurane is if the phone is physicly damaged. Other wise all swaps are free. I have had insurance on all my phones. I have paid maybe two deductables over the last 4 or 5 years. I have swaped probably 20-30 phones in that time. The insurance is worth the cost when you are buying pricey phones like these.

Oh and the reason the deductable went up is because of all these people out their making these fraudgulent claims and what not. Thanks cheap pricks. You already have great sprint phone service at a great price compaired to other companys and you have what I consider good insurance and yet you still have to find away to beat the system as if its some sort of game or something.

nextelfixer 05-26-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdtalker (Post 935326)
Well today my Touch Pro's D-Pad stopped working. All of the buttons are completely unresponsive, with no explanation whatsoever. Yesterday I noticed that the dial button stopped working, but thought nothing of it since it's usually finicky to begin with. When I woke up today, however, everything stopped working.

I went into the Sprint (corporate) store I always go to and explained the situation to them. They took it to the repair desk, and the guy came back, asked me if I had insurance (Ironically I canceled it this last billing cycle because of the increased deductible), and then told me that it would cost $120 to replace. I immediately told him that I'd have to think about it.

Last time I checked, this kind of thing was covered to begin with (since it was defective), and repairs were $50. I asked the rep, who said that the cost of smartphone repairs had been increased to $120. Does anybody know about this? I'd like to get the phone replaced as using it without a D-Pad is odd, and the device itself is acting very slow (I think it thinks buttons are being constantly pressed).

I own a Sprint Authorized service center and most of what everyone has said is correct. Sprint now charges $119 for replacement of defective units that do not have ESRP or TEP. Along with this change in policy though, Sprint now covers all in warranty units at no charge. The eTicket application automatically shows if the phone is in warranty or not. If it is and there is no physical damage to your phone, it should get replaced at no cost to you. Hope this helps.

z06vette 05-26-2009 09:35 AM

The USB connection on my TP is broken. Sprint store looked at it and said I need to deal with Asurion or pay them $120. Did not even check my account to see if I have insurance. I do have TEP and phone is in great shape. Any recomendations on what I should do. phone syncs and charges but for how long.

Zombie Scott 05-26-2009 10:18 AM

There is no way I would pay $120 to fix this phone or $100 deductible and $7 a month for insurance. I canceled my insurance when they raised the deductible. I would just get a cheapy phone to use while my phone is getting fixed under the 1 year warranty.

$7 a month x 24 month contact + $100 deductible = $268 for 1 phone fix. Too much money! I can get a used Touch Pro from eBay for about $180 or less.

nextelfixer 05-26-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06vette (Post 935947)
The USB connection on my TP is broken. Sprint store looked at it and said I need to deal with Asurion or pay them $120. Did not even check my account to see if I have insurance. I do have TEP and phone is in great shape. Any recomendations on what I should do. phone syncs and charges but for how long.

Unfortunately, if there is any issue of physical damage (ie: the port being loose, cracked, or missing), then you do have to either go through insurance or pay the $120. If it is just that the port doesn't connect, then there should be no charge. If I have helped please click on thanks.

nerdtalker 05-26-2009 05:38 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to pay the $120. Admittedly, that isn't the end of the world, and considering how many times they've given me a new replacement phone with no questions asked, I guess I should stop my b*tching and just do it ;)

I tried clicking on the "Take advantage of open enrollment in Total Equipment Protection during May" link, but this leads me to my phone/plan overview page with nothing else to click. I bet it checks whether you got the phone in the last 30 days or not. Either way, I guess I'll sign back up for that.

nerdtalker 05-26-2009 05:42 PM

Hmmz, actually, I think I found the link and requested the Total Equipment Protection plan. I'll check back. I might head in-store today or tomorrow and see.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...anaddon.th.png

Dr.8820 05-26-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdtalker (Post 936795)
Hmmz, actually, I think I found the link and requested the Total Equipment Protection plan. I'll check back. I might head in-store today or tomorrow and see.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...anaddon.th.png

just call *2 and tell them you want tep.

d94 05-26-2009 05:51 PM

its open enrollment month
call sprint, get it added and go to the store to get your phone replaced for free. theres only a deductable if theres physical or water damage otherswise your paying ZIP

nerdtalker 05-26-2009 06:02 PM

Should I do that even though I already signed up on the website?

nerdtalker 05-26-2009 06:22 PM

I just called *2 and the woman did it in about 2 minutes. However, she said you need to have it for at least 30 days before it happens, but my protection is effective today. Curious.

I might head over and see if they'll replace it, it's a real bummer that the D-pad doesn't work, even making this call was puzzling as there isn't any "dial" software key, you have to tap on the number...

afx 05-26-2009 07:10 PM

I dont know if anyone suggested this but why dont you just re-enroll in TEP, sprint has an open enrollment going on this month.

haha **** just saw this page.

nerdtalker 05-26-2009 11:59 PM

Well, I went in and they took my phone, told me to come back in an hour, but that they were completely out of refurbished Touch Pros.

I come back, and they managed to somewhat-fix it. By somewhat, I mean break the plastic bezel down by the D-Pad, but replace the D-Pad (and I think the entire screen assembly). The guy was apologetic and said that "although it looks like sh!t, you can take it, and we ordered a new refurbished phone."

All in all I think that's ok, as long as they give me a call when the new one finally arrives, as this thing looks pretty sorry. I'm willing to bet this came off of another Touch Pro that they brought in which needed a new display, because there's a nice deep scratch in the screen (looks like it was gouged with a screw driver) and the crack along the bottom.

gouster8 05-27-2009 01:03 AM

The reason why its an automatic $120 for PDA's to repair is because sprint covers 1 year in warranty phones directly now whereas before you had to go to the manufacturer to get a replacement. Sprints services are extra from the manufacturer. Sprint doesn't make the phone HTC does. That was also quite a mistake in removing it just because of a 50 dollar increase on the deductable. Sounds better than $600.

gouster8 05-27-2009 01:04 AM

hopefully you took the open enrollment oppurtunity that is offered for the entire month of May

nerdtalker 05-27-2009 02:38 AM

Well, this is great. The Touch Pro they "fixed" the D-Pad isn't mine, in fact, it's obvious that it was a return itself.

I can tell from the scratches all over it that weren't mine, and the fact that it neither vibrates nor charges at all.

shaggylive 05-27-2009 03:10 AM

well, I just got a letter today from assurion.. apparently the deduct doesn't go up until aug 1st.

toinejuan 05-27-2009 05:49 AM

You could possibly try another store that has an authorized repair center. That's an option; or you could call on the phone to get a replacement but that would cost you $. I want to address what you said about the devices speed. There are a many, many, factors, it could be programs running in the background at startup, a data connection, accelerometer app, or just simply bloatware. Once you device boots, go into the task manager in the settings panel, check what is loading at startup. That should give you the information you need to find out why it is behaving so slowly. Just my 2 cents.

heydjbobby74 05-27-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdtalker (Post 935326)

Dude that exact thing happened to me,](*,) when they looked at it, the REPLACED it immediately. :protest: I wouldn't settle for anything else than a replacement. If they won't help contact HTC, they have been very helpful in the past. I don't have their phone number, but Sprint will give it to you! Good luck man! If there are at least 120 willing members, we could all donate $1.00 to you right...lol
=D>

d94 05-27-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdtalker (Post 937716)
Well, this is great. The Touch Pro they "fixed" the D-Pad isn't mine, in fact, it's obvious that it was a return itself.

I can tell from the scratches all over it that weren't mine, and the fact that it neither vibrates nor charges at all.

sorry to hear about your ****ty experience, they prolly swapped housings which is what i do aswell, but i make sure the damn phone works lol
on the flipside they did order you a replacement phone so im not sure what else your expecting to get