PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Yet another weird storage card problem (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69357)

WanderingMinstrel 05-21-2009 04:12 PM

Yet another weird storage card problem

Have not seen this issue before or been able to search out any threads on it. Just wondering if it's only me, if it's TP specific, or if anyone else has had this happen:

My 16GB aData Class 6 MicroSD card thinks it's an 8GB card. After 30 days of DLs and program installations, it stopped accepting new material last week. Everything already on it runs perfectly but nothing new can be added. The cutoff point is 7900MB. And the memory chart in Settings>Memory shows an additional 7409 MB available out of a total storage card memory of 15318.22 MB.

I reformatted the card twice and reinstalled everything both times. It accepted all my data and programs and they all run like charms up to the 7900MB point and then the storage card refuses anything else. Very strange.

I've contacted aData and will get a replacement. Anyone ever heard of this before?

p-slim 05-21-2009 04:16 PM

Re: Yet another weird storage card problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingMinstrel (Post 928080)
Have not seen this issue before or been able to search out any threads on it. Just wondering if it's only me, if it's TP specific, or if anyone else has had this happen:

My 16GB aData Class 6 MicroSD card thinks it's an 8GB card. After 30 days of DLs and program installations, it stopped accepting new material last week. Everything already on it runs perfectly but nothing new can be added. The cutoff point is 7900MB. And the memory chart in Settings>Memory shows an additional 7409 MB available out of a total storage card memory of 15318.22 MB.

I reformatted the card twice and reinstalled everything both times. It accepted all my data and programs and they all run like charms up to the 7900MB point and then the storage card refuses anything else. Very strange.

I've contacted aData and will get a replacement. Anyone ever heard of this before?

this is a new one to me, but one time i had a card that had ghose data on it. I would reformat it and only have of the memory would be available. Yours at least after you reformat it, it shows full memory. I ended up buying a bigger memory card anyways, but that was a 1 year ago on my 4gb.

dagnasty 05-21-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingMinstrel (Post 928080)

Are you using the phone to format it? What file system are you formatting it for? Have you tried doing a low level format?

WanderingMinstrel 05-21-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagnasty (Post 928254)
Are you using the phone to format it? What file system are you formatting it for? Have you tried doing a low level format?

Yes, I am formatting it on the phone using a utility app called Flash Format (on trial free for 10 days). The program automatically optimizes and controls the file system and cluster size. The only options I get with it are FAT32 and 32KB cluster size with a 512 byte sector size. Flash Format also verifies and repairs the card and says my status is "OK".
I don't know what a low level format is. Never had a storage card issue before so it's an area of noobness for me. Thanks for your interest, dagnasty, and for asking.

mlin 05-21-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingMinstrel (Post 928331)
Yes, I am formatting it on the phone using a utility app called Flash Format (on trial free for 10 days). The program automatically optimizes and controls the file system and cluster size. The only options I get with it are FAT32 and 32KB cluster size with a 512 byte sector size. Flash Format also verifies and repairs the card and says my status is "OK".
I don't know what a low level format is. Never had a storage card issue before so it's an area of noobness for me. Thanks for your interest, dagnasty, and for asking.

Do you have the option to format on your computer? If so, try that.

WanderingMinstrel 05-22-2009 04:25 PM

My laptop (2-year-old Dell Inspiron 1710) doesn't recognize the microSD card in the adapter it came with or in the spare adapter my 8GB card came with. Neither plays in the SDMMC slot or in the 64-in-1 USB writer-reader I've used for every other device I own.
However... I noticed that I have the option to format FROM my computer using the Disk option on the TP instead of ActiveSync. That's probably worth a try this weekend while I'm waiting to hear from the aData tech support people about a replacement.
Considering all the things that could go wrong and sometimes actually do go wrong, this is pretty low on the scale. I just thought someone else might have had the same issue.