PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

View Poll Results: Did this work for you?
Yes 8 57.14%
No 3 21.43%
Worthless piece of **** 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

RonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow Resetting/reconditioning the battery

So, figured out a few days ago that the TP doesn't actually have an issue with the battery dieing, the issue is with the circutry that controls it. If you charge when the battery isn't *completely* discharged, the battery meter doesn't update right so it looks like the battery is dieing faster and faster as the days go by. A few nights ago I, as I normally do, plugged in my phone, turned on wifi, and started streaming radio. What I forgot to do was plug in the wall adapter (heh), so in the morning I woke up a to a completely dead battery (freaked out since the phone wouldn't start, even with the charger plugged in). So I took the battery out and measured the voltage, almost ZERO (I have a few hacks to make sure the phone doesn't shut off when it's at 10% battery or whatever). Plugged the battery back in and soft-reset my phone, hurray it started charging! I let it charge completely and when I took it off the charger, the battery meter actually showed 100% for almost 20 minutes! This has NEVER happened before, the meter always drops to 94% within minutes of being unplugged. Took it to work that same day (I work in a NOC/datacenter 2 floors down) and left it on my desk. Two hours later I was down to 93%, by lunch (6 hours later) I was at 87%. When I plugged it back in at home almost 15 hours later, I still had 80% battery left! Mind you, I did use the phone quite a bit. Did some GPS on Live, received about 80 SMS's (reporting/alerts server went crazy...thank you unlimited txting!), 20+ emails, and 5 or so 2-15 minute calls.

Being curious as to why I got such a great battery usage for the day, I plugged it in without thinking. Next morning, unplugged, by the time I got breakfast (10 minutes) the meter already showed the usual 94%. I didn't care, yadda yadda TP battery life sucks live with it. By the time I got home (13 hours later) I was already at 40% battery (sigh). This got me curious...I let the phone charge (from 40%) and measured the mah/voltage/etc and checked against the Battery Info app, lo and behold the two results were WAAY off. I let the battery drain completely (close to it, 2%) and charged fully, my meter still showed roughly the same values as with a charge from 40% but this time the Battery Info app also matched my results. Checked the battery level, HA 99%!! So far I haven't charged in close to 3 days and I still have 32% battery remaining. I know theres a lot of controversy about conditioning a battery but this isn't the case, this is a case of faulty code/drivers for the battery management causing the phone to think the battery doesn't have enough juice when it was more than enough to last 2+ days! Don't think its something that can be fixed via a firmware update else HTC would have already done it, but I would like some people to try it out and see the results you get. Mind you, I am an EE (electrical engineer), not just some kid playing with a voltometer.

Settings/configuration of my phone:
Calkulins Kitchen 1.7 - Windows Mobile 6.5
All apps/settings EXCEPT nueDynamicClock from the kitchen + Corepalyer from Silence Kitchen
No form of clock control, no additional apps except WmWifi
Data shutoff after 1 minute + #777 fix

I know it's a long post, but I really would like to get some testers to verify my findings. Have some way to check your battery externally, the phone isn't a reliable method.

Edit: Would also like to add that WinMo 6.5 has clock control of its own (buggy). You can test this by having Text selected on CHome, putting the phone in standby for a few minutes, and when you turn it back on the time will switch from what it was when you put it in standby to the current time. If you're technical, attach some leads to the battery and monitor the drain as you perform various functions. nueDynamic is a VERY bad idea if you're using 6.5, since in essence you're using two forms of clock control and most often then not, negating any benefits either software may provide.

Edit2: Had this post written up but never posted, in case something above doesn't match the timeline. So far, my phones been on for 3.6 hours (according to my 3G connection) and I'm at 90% battery. Got bombed with 120 SMSs today as well, along with 3 emails and a 10 minute call.

Last edited by RonDutt; 05-21-2009 at 02:56 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: ATR 3.0- I just pay Sprint for Minutes.

TaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTaylorSPJ is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Resetting/reconditioning the battery

there is a discharging app that allows you to monitor the battery....I would say to get a accurate test result you should try and use this....test after you allowed it to discharge all the way and then charge, see what the discharge is like on a new calibrated charge and then test on a random charge....probably the best bet for accurate results...

app ino

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=516458
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

RonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Any app on the phone itself will not be accurate as the issue is in the phone. I've seen the charge/discharge in the Battery Monitor app say one thing and leads attached to the battery say another. It's good to discharge the phone with (probably faster and safer than keepign wifi/3g on while streaming), I'll give it a try when I get off work (yay 4 day weekend!).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy

Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I really wanna try this out! But I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way I can keep the phone on so that it completely dies instead of shutting off at around 5-10%? I think there's a cab that stops this shut down

2. When I plug in the phone and let it recharge, do I have to keep the phone off until it gets to 100%, or am I able to turn the phone on as I charge it?

Thanks, and I really hope you are right!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I can't find the cab that I installed, if you find it please post it.

I've always used my phone while it's charging...at least in standby mode. I have yet to turn of phone off completely myself.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy

Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

ok great thanks!

Now all I have to do is find that cab...

Oh yeah and by the way, I won't be able to hook up any leds to the battery or anything like that. I'm not that advanced just yet
Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Just a test to see if fully discharging and charging works for you will be good enough Those who are technical and want to really see what's going on can test the battery directly, but by no means is it a requirement.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

i did notice that after letting my battery get very low the past couple days (on accident) it has lasted longer. i usually charge it when i have one bar left on my battery (this is habit) but i havent been near a charger the last couple times. i honestly only charged my phone once today but only for a little bit.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

End of the day, about to go put it on the charger. So it's been...16 hours and I still have 40% left. Think after you "condition" it for a week, it'll work better but who knows...all I know is I got my GPS fixed, my battery has lasted for more than 10 hours, and my new license just came in so I can start driving again

Please report your findings!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

how do you get it so it gets below 10% without shutting off? today i get it so low that it would only go to the windows mobile boot screen and shut off.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro