PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

View Poll Results: Did this work for you?
Yes 8 57.14%
No 3 21.43%
Worthless piece of **** 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 01:04 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Resetting/reconditioning the battery

nuebattery.

this is a very good test & explanation of what many of us though for a long time.

another way I see this effect is using another phone to charge the battery. I have 2 phones and 3 batteries. one of the phones is not activated so I pretty much just use it to test rom's and charge my batteries..
essentially my main phone always runs the bat completely dead, and I swap for a charged one. currently when I do this the "full" battery only shows ~80% in my main phone. btw, the 2nd phone is usually turned off while charging.

I'll try and see if booting the 2nd phone with the dead bat (maybe a few min charge to boot) and letting it die in it before recharging will allow my main phone to see it @ 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDutt View Post
Don't think its something that can be fixed via a firmware update else HTC would have already done it,
not so sure about this.. it's true it could be hardcoding in the charging circuit, but if I remember correctly, there's also charging protection in the OS & they just don't seem to play well togeather.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: BSNL

c_shekhar is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Nice findings...........
Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

Major_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuffMajor_Nate knows their stuff

I have a dock station that will charge my pro, while at the same time will charge a spare battery. I was wondering if completely discharging one of my batteries, then putting a fully charged one back in my pro, then putting the discharged one on the battery-only charger would have the same results. I'll try it out tonight after work.

Service & Repair Questions? Check out this thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74927

Sprint/Nextel Service & Repair Technician

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6932/ubda1308kz0.gif
Don't forget to click on the "THANKS" button if I've helped you.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

speck is becoming a great contributor

I'm going to try this out. It may explain why my battery life seems so erratic. I've had times the battery will stay strong for 2 days, and other times it seems to drain really quickly in a few hours, for no reason I can determine. I've been brushing it off as another Touch Pro idiosyncrasy (sigh - there are so many).

So, basically should I use the 'mobadi' (mobile battery discharger) to completely deplete the battery, then charge it fully, then monitor with nuebattery?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & EVO 4G

PhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

this has been the case for YEARS on all the sprint/verizon/alltel PPC devices from my experience

I just keep 3 batteries and when my phone dies with one in, I let it sit out for a couple days using the other 3 and then by the time I cycle through all of them they are completely dead and can then show a full charge once you juice them up.

Phantom's 6.5/6.5x Modified Lock Screens

Last edited by PhantomApolyon; 05-23-2009 at 03:57 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

RonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The charging rate may also play a key factor--used quickcharge a few nights ago (~860mah) and the battery died within 5 hours of normal use. Charged again in my car using a 200mah charger and I still have 32% left after 2 days.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & EVO 4G

PhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDutt View Post
The charging rate may also play a key factor--used quickcharge a few nights ago (~860mah) and the battery died within 5 hours of normal use. Charged again in my car using a 200mah charger and I still have 32% left after 2 days.
I never quickcharge, but it does cause that for sure
Old 05-23-2009, 08:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

davejet is just getting started
Thumbs up Re: Resetting/reconditioning the battery

[QUOTE=RonDutt;927882](I have a few hacks to make sure the phone doesn't shut off when it's at 10% battery or whatever). QUOTE]

I give what hacks are they?? Can you or someone please post them for us!!!

Can you please check your device and storage card maybe use resco explorer find option and look for *.cab files. Maybe you can the cab hacks for the battery.

All of us want to know.

Also can you please post some pix of the hookups and name of voltage devices you are using so some of us call also try it.

Thanks again great info!!!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

RonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Doesn't look like I have any cabs installed to do it, nothing shows up in my Remove Programs. Only thing I have are Calkulins Hacks from his kitchen (which includes some battery tweaks). There are three ways to "condition" the battery, wise to do this every week:

1. Discharge completely then charge
2. Charge using a low-amperage connection/cable (or via a laptops USB port--most usb ports only supply 250mA). Wall-plugs for a lot of small mp3 players supply 100mA to 300mA. There might be some registry hack that can be performed to lower the mA sucked in by the TP, if someone finds it please let us know.
3. Turn the phone off completely then charge--you WILL miss calls/emails/etc, but since theres no discharge the phone will get a more accurate read of how much charge it has left and how much to charge.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kevm14 is keeping up the good workkevm14 is keeping up the good work

Interesting. For the record, I'm an EE, as well.

First thing that occured to me is that deep discharges like that will only serve to shorten the battery's life. But the second thing that occured to me is, by how much and does it matter if we enjoy better battery life in the meantime?

I've made a post about this as well - it's not the battery chemistry that is the problem, but the circuitry inside the battery that keeps track of energy throughput.

My phone gets down to about 5% and within not too long ends up shutting off. Attempts to turn on result in half-boots then shutting down again. I am on MR5 but the stock Sprint ROM behaved exactly the same way. I think MR5 has a fast charge setup because the phone gets HOT while charging (when on). I might start shutting it off when charging nightly. Though battery life on MR5 has been pretty good.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro