PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

BustedNuts1 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do I need to turn of my GPS when not in use?

I hope these are stupid questions. I just got to thinking, I always disconnect my data connection when I know I'm not gonna use it for a couple hours. Well, what if I'm done using my GPS as well? Is there a way to turn it off? like in a Comm Manager or something? Or do I even need to? Like if no app is using the gps signal, is it automatically off?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

lilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to lilbitz_1018
Re: Do I need to turn of my GPS when not in use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedNuts1 View Post
I hope these are stupid questions.

lol sorry thought that was funny.
But no you dont need to turn it off. if theres not connection active for GPS it turns off
Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedNuts1 View Post
I hope these are stupid questions. I just got to thinking, I always disconnect my data connection when I know I'm not gonna use it for a couple hours. Well, what if I'm done using my GPS as well? Is there a way to turn it off? like in a Comm Manager or something? Or do I even need to? Like if no app is using the gps signal, is it automatically off?
There's no need to do either. An idle data connection doesn't draw a noticable amount of power over having it disconnected.

At the same time, the GPS isn't active unless a program is using it. It will hold a lock for about 30 seconds (customizable per-ROM?), after that it will go inactive. Give it a try next time you're driving, open up Google Maps and let it acquire a lock. Close it, and open it again immediately - it will still be locked.

Now close it and wait a minute. When you re-open it, it will have to acquire a lock again.

So, no drain then if the GPS isn't locked because it isn't active.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

BustedNuts1 is becoming a great contributor

Thanks guys.

Just wanted to make sure. I try to keep anything from draining my battery, especially when it's not in use.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

jringo718 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrake View Post
There's no need to do either. An idle data connection doesn't draw a noticable amount of power over having it disconnected.

At the same time, the GPS isn't active unless a program is using it. It will hold a lock for about 30 seconds (customizable per-ROM?), after that it will go inactive. Give it a try next time you're driving, open up Google Maps and let it acquire a lock. Close it, and open it again immediately - it will still be locked.

Now close it and wait a minute. When you re-open it, it will have to acquire a lock again.

So, no drain then if the GPS isn't locked because it isn't active.
Not sure if it was MR4 or Juicy's but I remember my GPS stayed locked... Like I closed the program and did you what you described, and when I opened up google maps again, it was still connected and found me in a second, even after a good hour.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

lilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to lilbitz_1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jringo718 View Post
Not sure if it was MR4 or Juicy's but I remember my GPS stayed locked... Like I closed the program and did you what you described, and when I opened up google maps again, it was still connected and found me in a second, even after a good hour.
more than likely thats because of Quick GPS which its supposed to do that. It does infact disconnect you when you close the program but the reason it may find you quickly after is because you're still in the area that you were when you closed the program.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

jringo718 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbitz_1018 View Post
more than likely thats because of Quick GPS which its supposed to do that. It does infact disconnect you when you close the program but the reason it may find you quickly after is because you're still in the area that you were when you closed the program.
Yeah, it was probably the Quick GPS. BTW I had moved 45 miles.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If you turn off your screen that also turns off the GPS chip.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro