PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Do I need to turn of my GPS when not in use? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69271)

BustedNuts1 05-20-2009 08:35 PM

Do I need to turn of my GPS when not in use?

I hope these are stupid questions. I just got to thinking, I always disconnect my data connection when I know I'm not gonna use it for a couple hours. Well, what if I'm done using my GPS as well? Is there a way to turn it off? like in a Comm Manager or something? Or do I even need to? Like if no app is using the gps signal, is it automatically off?

lilbitz_1018 05-20-2009 08:53 PM

Re: Do I need to turn of my GPS when not in use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BustedNuts1 (Post 926687)
I hope these are stupid questions.

lol sorry thought that was funny.
But no you dont need to turn it off. if theres not connection active for GPS it turns off

ShadowDrake 05-20-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BustedNuts1 (Post 926687)
I hope these are stupid questions. I just got to thinking, I always disconnect my data connection when I know I'm not gonna use it for a couple hours. Well, what if I'm done using my GPS as well? Is there a way to turn it off? like in a Comm Manager or something? Or do I even need to? Like if no app is using the gps signal, is it automatically off?

There's no need to do either. An idle data connection doesn't draw a noticable amount of power over having it disconnected.

At the same time, the GPS isn't active unless a program is using it. It will hold a lock for about 30 seconds (customizable per-ROM?), after that it will go inactive. Give it a try next time you're driving, open up Google Maps and let it acquire a lock. Close it, and open it again immediately - it will still be locked.

Now close it and wait a minute. When you re-open it, it will have to acquire a lock again.

So, no drain then if the GPS isn't locked because it isn't active.

BustedNuts1 05-21-2009 09:04 PM

Thanks guys.

Just wanted to make sure. I try to keep anything from draining my battery, especially when it's not in use.

jringo718 05-22-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake (Post 926719)
There's no need to do either. An idle data connection doesn't draw a noticable amount of power over having it disconnected.

At the same time, the GPS isn't active unless a program is using it. It will hold a lock for about 30 seconds (customizable per-ROM?), after that it will go inactive. Give it a try next time you're driving, open up Google Maps and let it acquire a lock. Close it, and open it again immediately - it will still be locked.

Now close it and wait a minute. When you re-open it, it will have to acquire a lock again.

So, no drain then if the GPS isn't locked because it isn't active.

Not sure if it was MR4 or Juicy's but I remember my GPS stayed locked... Like I closed the program and did you what you described, and when I opened up google maps again, it was still connected and found me in a second, even after a good hour.

lilbitz_1018 05-22-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jringo718 (Post 928928)
Not sure if it was MR4 or Juicy's but I remember my GPS stayed locked... Like I closed the program and did you what you described, and when I opened up google maps again, it was still connected and found me in a second, even after a good hour.

more than likely thats because of Quick GPS which its supposed to do that. It does infact disconnect you when you close the program but the reason it may find you quickly after is because you're still in the area that you were when you closed the program.

jringo718 05-22-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbitz_1018 (Post 928941)
more than likely thats because of Quick GPS which its supposed to do that. It does infact disconnect you when you close the program but the reason it may find you quickly after is because you're still in the area that you were when you closed the program.

Yeah, it was probably the Quick GPS. BTW I had moved 45 miles.

Darkjedi 05-22-2009 01:38 AM

If you turn off your screen that also turns off the GPS chip.