PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

straylight is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro GPS

I’m really curious about this apect of this phone. After buying a Touch Pro there is one thing that has always irritated me. Am I the only one who finds HTCs implementation of GPS odd?
I have always thought that it would ‘just work’. Yet, all these utilities exist to lock on to satellites before I may use my gps. Is this abnormal? Its always seemed like a pain to me and I wondered if other smartphones act the same way.

Is this a half-***** implementation of GPS or do all smartphones have the same issues?
Will the Touch Pro 2 carry on this tradition?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

lilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to lilbitz_1018
Re: Touch Pro GPS

The GPS works fine out the box. all the ones to lock on to the satellites are just so your position is found so much quicker (i see no difference). But in the past I haven't seen any phones with programs for faster satellite location to my knowledge some may see that as helpful.

Last edited by lilbitz_1018; 05-20-2009 at 09:31 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

You can blame Verizon for your issues. They've always liked to mess with GPS and make it crappy.

As for the TP2, yes, you can. It will have the same gpsOne chipset as the phone chipset will be the same. It may have a new secondary GPS implementation due to the new world-mode radio and the fact that CSR bought SiRF, but I doubt it. They have gotten better at tweaking the gpsOne SoC.

As for how odd their implementation is, not really. The phone can do four modes for GPS. Standalone, which is weak due to the nature of the SoC design of the MSM 7x00x chipset.

The MS Based/Assisted/Hybrid modes are actually very accurate, especially the MS Hybrid mode (4), as it uses its own determination as well as MS-based, plus offloads the data for atmospheric correction and other computations to a ground-based server on the cell network. It's arguably superior to the GPS acuracy in car navigation devices, as it gets real-time assisted data from a ground station.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbitz_1018 View Post
But in the past I haven't seen any phones with programs for faster satellite location some may see that as helpful.
What are you saying here? Software that downloads satellite data bated on GeoLocation isn't in phones? That's exactly what QuickGPS does.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:05 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i think lilbitz means devices in the past. I havent seen anything like QuickGPS UNTIL around Touch, Diamond, Touch Pro releases.

As far the OP, im on Sprint, havent had any issues with GPS locking on. I dont even use QuickGPS. i just start my favorite GPS app of the day and im catching satellite signal. You can set QuickGPS to automatically update itself so you dont even have to worry about starting that program and then GPS app.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"

Last edited by nxtech3; 05-20-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straylight View Post
I’m really curious about this apect of this phone. After buying a Touch Pro there is one thing that has always irritated me. Am I the only one who finds HTCs implementation of GPS odd?
I have always thought that it would ‘just work’. Yet, all these utilities exist to lock on to satellites before I may use my gps. Is this abnormal? Its always seemed like a pain to me and I wondered if other smartphones act the same way.

Is this a half-***** implementation of GPS or do all smartphones have the same issues?
Will the Touch Pro 2 carry on this tradition?

I'm on USCC and my GPS does "just work".

Last edited by petermg; 05-20-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Professional

simon21 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtech3 View Post
i think lilbitz means devices in the past. I havent seen anything like QuickGPS UNTIL around Touch, Diamond, Touch Pro releases.
HP PDA phones from 5 years ago (6500 series?) had quickgps. the phones were made by HTC.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

gapoochi is a n00b

I'm sorry if this is a silly question...but I use google maps on my touch pro..is there something better?
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

lilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlilbitz_1018 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to lilbitz_1018
Wink Re: Touch Pro GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon21 View Post
HP PDA phones from 5 years ago (6500 series?) had quickgps. the phones were made by HTC.
Then again i said that i know of...i wasnt into PDAs at the age of 13. excuse my ignorance -___-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapoochi View Post
I'm sorry if this is a silly question...but I use google maps on my touch pro..is there something better?
Thanks!
Google maps is like a quick easy gps. doesnt offer turn by turn but does a good job and finding locations and directions quickly

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro