PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

berardi1111 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro battery life ? Need help deciding

I currently have a Sprint Touch Vogue which is nicely configured with a custom rom, and all the apps I need. I have a chance to get a Touch Pro for $100 bucks from a friend.

The reasons I can see it being better are:
1. the keyboard
2. the increased memory / processor
3. increased mah

My question is - does anyone have experience with the Touch battery life vs the Touch pro? I realize there is a 200 mah difference but in the real world this does not always workout, especially considering the Pro has more memory and processor speed.

I'd like to get the thing, but see a lot of complaints for the device. I am a pretty advanced WinMo user and realize the complainers post the happy people don't, but I just want to make sure the Pro is a good device and not overly buggy before I leave the good thing I have going with the Sprint Touch.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL
Re: Touch Pro battery life ? Need help deciding

If you need a keyboard, get it. I think all winmo devices have pretty bad battery life. having 500 mhz processor doesn't help.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

garyflynn is keeping up the good workgaryflynn is keeping up the good work

I charge my touch pro at work. I have a charger there, so when I'm indoors, either home or at work usually my touch pro is being charged.

I carry an extra battery for if I lose charge entirely. So far that has happened once in the month I've had the phone. But I use it as a music player so it is almost always active even when I'm not on the phone.

I personally couldn't be bothered with the virtual keyboard. So the touch pro is a better phone for me by far.

The phone is more bulky though. And if your phone can go 24 hours without charging under use, then you may be very disappointed in coming to the touch pro.

I also have this thing custom rommed, and cabbed up just like I like it.

I'm considering trying to trade it for a palm pre if after a while it seems the palm pre is very customizable the way this is.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I have SERO so I am not touching the Pre

I use my Touch for everything so yeah the battery life requires me to charge it by 4-5 PM everyday. I stream music, use it as an mp3 player, browse the internet, text message phone calls, everything. I am fine with needing to charge during the work day, I've done that with every pda phone I've ever had, including treos, Sidekicks, iphones. Batteries today suck. I just wanna be sure this thing isn't subpar compared to other winmo battery life...I don't need the keyboard but I'd prefer it. I can type quickly on with Touchpal

Does it make it through the day to at least 4-5 PM?

Thanks guys
Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

I never owned a Touch, but my experience is that after all the tweaking I can think find, my TP gets ~1/4- 1/3 LESS time on a full charge than the Mogul it replaced. I carry at least 1 extra battery with me and 2 if I think it will be a long day of heavy use. For me, the only way it makes a full work day on a charge is if I use it exclusively as a phone and use that lightly. With moderate use (sending and recieving 5-10 texts/email, 5-10 phone calls, light browsing, 1 rss update ), I'm lucky if a full charge gets me to 1 PM. I know someone will probably chime in that they can use their TP continuosly for 2 weeks on a charge, but from what I've read here my battery life experience is similar to the majority of users. The only phone I have experience with that has worse battery life than a TP is the G1. To be fair, the majority of the current touch screen smartphones aren't dramatically better.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
I never owned a Touch, but my experience is that after all the tweaking I can think find, my TP gets ~1/4- 1/3 LESS time on a full charge than the Mogul it replaced. I carry at least 1 extra battery with me and 2 if I think it will be a long day of heavy use. For me, the only way it makes a full work day on a charge is if I use it exclusively as a phone and use that lightly. With moderate use (sending and recieving 5-10 texts/email, 5-10 phone calls, light browsing, 1 rss update ), I'm lucky if a full charge gets me to 1 PM. I know someone will probably chime in that they can use their TP continuosly for 2 weeks on a charge, but from what I've read here my battery life experience is similar to the majority of users. The only phone I have experience with that has worse battery life than a TP is the G1. To be fair, the majority of the current touch screen smartphones aren't dramatically better.

Wow that is definitely dissappointing - I truly appreciate the info. That is enough to make me not want the TP.

My battery life with the Touch is like 40% better than the Mogul (I had that before the Touch). If the TP has worse battery life than the Mogul, it must be pretty bad. So it looks like I will hold onto my Sprint Touch, even though I have the option to get the TP affordably.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

The touch is known to be a stable phone.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I came from the Vogue and have definitely noticed worse battery life on both my TP and Diamond (coming from the Vogue, I like the Diamond a little more BTW). My experience is this:

Touch Pro:
Service in my building at work is terrible. When I first got the phone (Sprint), leaving the cellular radio on would lead to the battery dying by 3pm or so (while at the same time getting pretty hot). Next, I flashed a new radio (Telus 1.04) and my battery life improved greatly. I could make it to the end of the day with moderate use. However, today I have tried something new and noticed significant inprovements. All I did was shut off the auto-backlight adjustment and placed the setting at 1 below the halfway point. Here are my stats for the day:

Still in the same building with terrible srevice.
~20 minutes of phone calls
~20 emails (direct push w/ exchange server)
5 texts
20 minutes online via wifi or cellular
coming up on 7 hours since last charge
battery life at 70%

Its not the greatest, but there are ways to get decent battery life from the phone. Also, I am suprised by how much better the battery life is with a single screen brightness setting.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Yea battery life can be pretty terrible depending on the level of service where you most use your phone. When I disabled roaming on my phone, my battery life was pretty much cut in half to like 6 hours, but since reenabling it, I've lasted through the day pretty well. I do run the Telus radio and a custom ROM as well though.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
However, today I have tried something new and noticed significant inprovements. All I did was shut off the auto-backlight adjustment and placed the setting at 1 below the halfway point.
Also, I am suprised by how much better the battery life is with a single screen brightness setting.
Hmmm... It must be that the overhead needed to run the light sensor draws more power than it saves... Do you run anything like S2U2 in the background that turns the screen off completely when not used?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro