PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Need Reg Edit to Lock to Roaming Only ??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69076)

TTBadDog 05-19-2009 07:15 AM

Need Reg Edit to Lock to Roaming Only ???

Hello all, long time lurker and first post. I have used the forum to learn much but now have come up with a problem I have not seen addressed.

Touch Pro Sprint device.
I live on the fringe of Sprint coverage and most of the time it is in a Roam mode to Verizon tower. If I dial without area code it says "welcome to Verizon". My work requires me to have a Sprint device so switching to Verizon is not an option. All of my other Sprint phones had a setting under
Settings
Phone
Services; Roaming then I could select Allow Roaming, Home Network Only, Roaming networks only.

My HTC Touch Pro on Sprint only has [Sprint Only or Automatic]. I have set Data roam guard to Never Ask and call guard OFF.

I would like to be able to force it to Roaming networks only. My reason for this is that being on the fringe in the Automatic mode MOST of the time it will roam with a decent signal strength. Often times thought it will find a Sprint signal and switch over to the Home Network (Sprint) and when calls come in the signal is so week the call is garbled or it drops. Other times in the areas around the fringes it will toggle between Sprint and Roaming as I pass through hills and valleys but this causes me to drop calls. My other Sprint phones would do the same thing on "Allow Roaming" but when set to "Roaming networks only" all was fine.

I asked Sprint and they told me that the phone will find the strongest signal and use that one. Well... at some point the signal may be stronger on Sprint than the roam but 1/4 mile down the road it flips to roam and my call gets dropped. I suppose Sprint firmware wants to keep you on the Sprint network as much as possible and removed the ability to force it to roam on the HTC.

Does anyone know how to change the registry to allow me to set Roaming networks only?

I have done the Registry Edit to allow "Mode of Operation" to be able to select Hybrid, EVDO only or 1X only. Prior to the Reg edit this setting was not available. This only covers the data side and was reported to perhaps help battery life on the fringe coverage.

NOhara24 05-19-2009 08:10 AM

Re: Need Reg Edit to Lock to Roaming Only ???

This is a good post. I'm curious to see if there's anything that can be done here. Bump, for great justice.

TTBadDog 05-19-2009 08:16 AM

This was the post changing the Data Mode, there must be something in the Reg about roaming.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41770&page=3

brian smith 05-19-2009 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here.

TTBadDog 05-19-2009 10:20 AM

Brian, any threads about his CAB that I can read up on?
I assume you have tried it out?
Thanks,

ericm 05-19-2009 10:29 AM

I've used this .CAB - works fine. Be sure to do a soft reset after the install, then when you go to settings -phone - services - roaming, you'll have a 3rd option added

Original
"Sprint Only"
"Automatic"

New added:
"Roaming"

TTBadDog 05-19-2009 10:59 AM

Doing it now.... and the envelope please;
Thank you much!!!
I will be able to test if I don't drop calls when I go out on my next round of service calls.

Thanks again guys, I should have been able to find with a search but I suppose I did not know what to search for.

jeffH70 05-19-2009 05:39 PM

Well checked the cab and it was basically the same that covered in the pro essential thread. However, it never worked on mine, it was stuck in search mode with no network whatsoever.... Maybe it just me but I am sure if I set to automatic it will roam on Verizon but set the roam only it had neither....

resnor 05-20-2009 06:43 PM

I've been using the roaming cab for 7 or 8 months with no problems.

Buehlar 05-20-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTBadDog (Post 923399)

Does anyone know how to change the registry to allow me to set Roaming networks only?

Is this what your looking for?

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\PhoneSetting\Netwo rkService
Change ItemCount to 3 (instead of 2)
Create a new String called ItemName3 with the value of "Roam Only" (without quotes)
Create a new DWord called ItemValue3 with a value of 3

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\InitProv\PhoneSett ing
Change ItemCount to 3 (Instead of 2)
Edit string ItemName3 with the value of "Roam Only" instead of "something-b"
ItemValue3 should already be in there with value of 3

Soft Reset.