PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

emartinez13 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with GPS troubleshooting

Ok, I recently switched from Sprint over to alltel and the alltel touch pro can't get a gps lock at all. The Sprint one got quick locks, the alltel one sees the satellites sometimes, usually only 1 or 2 but is never able to lock onto it with a strong signal, or lock at all for that matter. I've tried it with the stock rom and now i'm on psyki v3 and same thing. I checked all the basics:

Location settings ON
GPS program port 4
Hardware port NONE
Baud 4800
let windows manage

....all that good stuff. Done. I've went thru the entire Alltel super fast lock-on thread and set up the server suggested for alltel and still nothing. I then exchanged the phone for another one at the store and told them that I thought the gps was dead on it and the second one is doing the exact same thing. This is my 3rd touch pro and i've never had a problem with the gps whatsoever, i've been using Garmin XT and google maps and they've always worked perfect, just not on this one from alltel for some reason. I don't think I could have a second defective gps chip, that is if the first one really was defective, who knows. Any ideas? I use gps alot and this is driving me crazy, starting to wish i didn't get rid of my sprint tp

oh, btw, i've downloaded the quickgps data and that didn't help, also gpsviewer can't prime the chip either, finds satellites and drops them, never locks.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

marcstano is a n00b
Re: Help with GPS troubleshooting

Had the same problem with my gps through alltel. I have the touch pro. I spoke to many for hours with customer service. Seems as though gps is locked on the touch pro. Only way to unlock it is to either use the free trial included on the touch for alltel navagation or pay the $9.99 for the monthly fee. Call customer service if you are going to order it, so u can cancell it right away and they will adjust you bill so you are not charged. Once gps is unlocked this way, you do not have to use altel navagation, your gps will work with any gps program. I use google maps, as it is free. Worked like a charm for me. Just remember u do not have to continue alltel navagation, just need to use it once, let alltel navagation locate u, and it unlocks the gps forever on your phone.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Alltel/VerizOn

KillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Help with GPS troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcstano View Post
Had the same problem with my gps through alltel. I have the touch pro. I spoke to many for hours with customer service. Seems as though gps is locked on the touch pro. Only way to unlock it is to either use the free trial included on the touch for alltel navagation or pay the $9.99 for the monthly fee. Call customer service if you are going to order it, so u can cancell it right away and they will adjust you bill so you are not charged. Once gps is unlocked this way, you do not have to use altel navagation, your gps will work with any gps program. I use google maps, as it is free. Worked like a charm for me. Just remember u do not have to continue alltel navagation, just need to use it once, let alltel navagation locate u, and it unlocks the gps forever on your phone.
I dont believe this is true as I had GPS working on my TP. It actually stopped working like 2 weeks ago...well just on google maps but it works on LIVE MAPS TRACK ME. But if this is true I might have to do that?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro