PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Battery cover that hides camera? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68778)

kevm14 05-16-2009 11:11 AM

Battery cover that hides camera?

I was showing a friend my TP and he remarked that he might like it if it was thinner and I told him about the Diamond. But where we both work is a place that essentially forbids camera phones. Does anyone know of a battery cover for the TP or Diamond that completely covers up the camera? Something stock looking, of course. I figure that ought to be good enough. Better than having to cover the camera with your fingers while using the phone, anyway.

akastixx 05-16-2009 11:17 AM

Re: Battery cover that hides camera?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevm14 (Post 918361)
I was showing a friend my TP and he remarked that he might like it if it was thinner and I told him about the Diamond. But where we both work is a place that essentially forbids camera phones. Does anyone know of a battery cover for the TP or Diamond that completely covers up the camera? Something stock looking, of course. I figure that ought to be good enough. Better than having to cover the camera with your fingers while using the phone, anyway.

your friend can just spraypaint the back cover.

kevm14 05-16-2009 11:20 AM

That seems like it would still be a dead giveaway. The clear plastic, even if you sanded it, would still look like a camera was supposed to be there.

lajuane 05-16-2009 11:32 AM

I would also be interested in this. My job has the same policy. No camera phones! I'd love to just find a battery cover that covers the camera.

d94 05-16-2009 11:40 AM

yepp, been thikin aout his for a while no bothwith my iamond and TP i tried a few things at work, but it'd deff need to be sanded, the empty spot filled in and then painted to do a oem kinda job

t0mmyr 05-16-2009 12:09 PM

why not look for a leather case or pouch maybe they make something for iphone but will keep the phone usable while in the case. guess they slideout keyboard wouldnt work but if he got a diamond then that wouldnt matter.

do u work at a prison or something

lajuane 05-16-2009 01:08 PM

Naw, work for the govt. and around work that requires a security clearance so it's understandable for the rule, it just sucks for my phone.

Laos101 05-16-2009 01:56 PM

No back cover would do that since it is removing an important function for the device. tghe only way is to cover it doing some sort of DIY job

haus 05-16-2009 03:48 PM

One idea that comes to mind would be to carefully tape over the silver part of the back cover, then sand / rough up the shiny part, spray it black with plastic paint, then cover it a couple of times with a glossy clear coat, and see how that looks. It'll be a wear item so if it were me I'd use clear automotive wheel paint for the last steps. You could try it on a piece of plexiglass from the hardware store first to get a sense of how it might turn out.

But the other question is...does simply "covering" the camera really satisfy the security requirements? Technically you could take the back cover off and snap photos. So it may not be worth it, esp. if you get caught with a phone model that is known / presumed to have a camera.

kevm14 05-18-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 918780)
But the other question is...does simply "covering" the camera really satisfy the security requirements? Technically you could take the back cover off and snap photos. So it may not be worth it, esp. if you get caught with a phone model that is known / presumed to have a camera.

No, it does not satisfy security requirements. But they are known to be enforced in a lax manner. The case doesn't help because while talking on the phone I feel like I need to cover the camera with my fingers to avoid attention. As long as I don't go around bragging about the camera in my phone, if I had a cover that completely hid the camera, I think I'd be all set.