PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

bigredman78 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Please help an Idoit

what is the diff. of a rom and a radio, should do 1 or the other or should i install the rom and then the radio, what i'm asking is waht in the world is a radio

i have the HTC Touch Pro from Sprint, with MightyRom
Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

peepeesea is keeping up the good workpeepeesea is keeping up the good work
Re: Please help an Idoit

your phone has firmware for the radio which is usually supplied by the carrier. some carriers radios are better then others (supposedly) some have better battery ect.
the ROM is the phones OS (like windows or OSx)
you update them independent of each other, doesn't really matter in what order unless the ROM you want only supports a certain radio version

'function over fashion'
Old 05-14-2009, 07:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

Here's a list of available radios
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46616

Most popular seem to be the Telus 1.04 and the Sprint 1.11f, the US Cellular is the newest that I'm aware of. Since it seems you've already unlocked and flashed a rom, flashing a radio is a walk in the park Keep in mind that unlike a rom, a radio flash is non destructive. You should back up your data just in case, but flashing shouldn't causes any loss of data. Since location seems to affect which radio works best, you may want to try out 2 or 3 of the most popular to see which works best for you. Have fun!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero, Touch Pro

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

basically the radios may help with your signal strength with voice and data. I'm using the Telus 1.04 and it seems to be a bit better with data over the stock radio i had.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

resnor is a n00b

How much difference do you get by switching to a different radio? I haven't done anything like that...haven't done any roms or radios...kinda nervous about it...lol. Done alot of other tweaking, but, I've been slowly trying to get all the programs that I have together into a folder on my computer, cause I think I'd like to flash to a different rom than stock...I'm assuming it's well worth it, judging from all the people on here that rave about it.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Ship Jumper
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, EVO 3D & GALAXY S 2
Carrier: The Now Network

BRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

It was a huge difference for me.... When I was on Sprint's stock radio my signal strength was ok but I decided to flash to a different radio to see if I would get better results... After flashing from radio to radio I found that the Telus radio made the biggest impact in terms of signal strength & I never looked back
Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

You can see improvements in signal strength, data speed, gps performance and battery life. I'm using Telus 1.04 now, but I found no difference between it and the Sprint 1.11f. With all the rom flashes(20?) and tweaks I've done to my phone, changing from the stock radio made the single biggest improvment in battery life. Now battery life just sucks really bad!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro