PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   So many Kitchens, how do we know which one to use? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68502)

BustedNuts1 05-13-2009 09:33 PM

So many Kitchens, how do we know which one to use?

I hope I don't get flamed for making this thread, and I feel it might boil down to personal preference, but how'd you choose your kitchen? I guess I'm sorta asking what IS your personal preference? and why?

I mean there's so many out there, I just don't know what would be the best for me. I'm really only interested in making a pretty basic rom, plus a couple tweaks. I've only had experience with JD's kitchen, and honestly it suits my needs.

However, I'm sorta interested in the differences between em all. If you've tried any of the numerous kitchens, mind posting your experience? Hopefully this'll be a benefit to others if they decide to make their own personal roms.

Thank you in advance.

djsonar 05-13-2009 09:48 PM

Re: So many Kitchens, how do we know which one to use?

Lol, am trying them all, currently Silence:headbang:

ElAguila 05-13-2009 11:45 PM

If you use the buildos kitchen then use Herman for cdma and Rafael for gsm phones.

volDeus 05-14-2009 04:00 AM

I may be misunderstand the way the kitchens work but .. aren't all the custom kitchens basically just someone else's set of favorite OEMs?

I just use BuildOS, it has a pretty good selection of downloadable OEMs and I make my own OEMs for anything else I need ...

It takes a while to get all the tools together and get the hang of making OEMs but I think it's rewarding and a bit fun ... Also I think it's great to be able to inject all of your own settings/themes/skins into your OEMs :headbang:

If you are interested, I can give you a list of the tools I'm using and a rundown of the basic process ... (at least as far as I understand it) ...

BustedNuts1 05-14-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volDeus (Post 914269)
If you are interested, I can give you a list of the tools I'm using and a rundown of the basic process ... (at least as far as I understand it) ...

Tutorials are always welcome on this site, but I may be too chicken to actually try it myself. However, other's may benefit from your work. Also, there's a couple tutorials out there, but I haven't looked into to much myself yet

Quote:

aren't all the custom kitchens basically just someone else's set of favorite OEMs?
No, I don't think so, but that's the purpose of this thread. I'm trying to find out the differences between em. Yes each kitchen maker includes his favorite OEMs, but I was thinking it was more than that. I believe they include actual tweaks and stuff as well. I'm not necessarily talking about build numbers, but the actual extras (battery, sms tweaks, etc) that the kitchen maker already includes.

I was hoping that this thread could serve as a place to discuss the differences between the kitchens.

volDeus 05-14-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BustedNuts1 (Post 915146)
Tutorials are always welcome on this site, but I may be too chicken to actually try it myself. However, other's may benefit from your work. Also, there's a couple tutorials out there, but I haven't looked into to much myself yet

There are, I have at least one saved to my HD for referance, I wouldn't bother trying to write another unless I felt there was a significant amount of new information to bring together that wasn't already covered ... I was just offering to give you a short list and some links I've compiled of software and tutorials that are already available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BustedNuts1 (Post 915146)
I believe they include actual tweaks and stuff as well. I'm not necessarily talking about build numbers, but the actual extras (battery, sms tweaks, etc) that the kitchen maker already includes.

Granted ... From what I've done myself and from what I understand, most of those things are fairly easy to do on your own during cooking ... An excellent discussion topic nonetheless. I'm sorry I don't have more experience with the custom kitchens or I would try to offer something more in line with your op :)

BustedNuts1 05-14-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volDeus (Post 915191)
There are, I have at least one saved to my HD for referance, I wouldn't bother trying to write another unless I felt there was a significant amount of new information to bring together that wasn't already covered ... I was just offering to give you a short list and some links I've compiled of software and tutorials that are already available.

If I ever muster up the courage to get more involved in my kitchen, I'll send you a pm. Until then, I'll just use the kitchen oems to select what I want and cab other stuff later, lol. I'm such a noob at all this.

Thank you for your offer, and I thanked you for your posts.

Quote:

Granted ... From what I've done myself and from what I understand, most of those things are fairly easy to do on your own during cooking ... An excellent discussion topic nonetheless. I'm sorry I don't have more experience with the custom kitchens or I would try to offer something more in line with your op
Yeah, I was really hoping some people would reply to this thread and tell their experiences with the various kitchens. I mean every other day we see a "What's the best rom thread?" Why can't we have a best kitchen thread? I wish this would catch on, but since mightymike hasn't released a kitchen, I don't think people know what to say.

krnfrk6663 05-15-2009 05:43 PM

I have a stupid question... but where do you find the kitchen? Lol

joe8617 05-15-2009 05:55 PM

Along the same lines, (and i also hope to not get flamed) but is there a "beginners' guide" to all of these kitchens, roms, and radio concepts? It is really interesting to me but I am just starting out with all this stuff and am honestly not even really sure what all the terms mean yet.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

volDeus 05-16-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe8617 (Post 917489)
Along the same lines, (and i also hope to not get flamed) but is there a "beginners' guide" to all of these kitchens, roms, and radio concepts?

I think that may be what the OP is trying to accomplish here ... Once the information is gathered it could be re-compiled into a very useful thread ..