PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Auto wifi enabler/disabler (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68450)

RonDutt 05-13-2009 01:42 PM

Auto wifi enabler/disabler

Is there some app that turns wifi on every X minutes, checks to see if any AP's that it's connected to before are around and either a) connects to that ap or b) if no AP's are found, disables wifi and waits until another X minutes pass. Reason I want an app like this is I work at a datacenter a few floors below ground level, near my desk I get a few bars of EVDO/3G (go Verizon!), but elsewhere in the datacenter I'm barely getting by on 1 or 2 bars of 1X, which disables Microsoft Push for emails. Emails are *highly* important for me (alerts and such come through email) and I would rather not lose that ability when I lose my data signal. The entire basement is covered from top to bottom with wifi though, same with my workshop at home (basement, but covered with wifi). Battery isn't much of an issue since I plug in anywhere I see a USB port.

dschoenike 05-13-2009 01:52 PM

Re: Auto wifi enabler/disabler

Yep, theres an app called CT Scheduler (not free) that"ll turn wifi on and off whenever you schedule it to. It does a number of other scheduled tasks as well. Ive been using it for about a month now, and love it.
dschoenike

Talon Pro 05-13-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 (Post 912871)
Heres one:

WirelessTime is a freeware program which makes it possible automatically to change the state of your wi-fi card according to the hour and of the day of the week. WirelessTime is a small tool to automaticaly switch on an off your GSM, Bluetooth, and WiFi connection, depending on time profiles. A simple GUI to define when you want the wireless modules to be switched on or off.

Yea, but i tried using that program, it it failed miserably. I wouldnt list that in my list of suggestions. I wanted the wifi to be turned on at say 315pm and off at 615am, and it wouldnt do anything but crash.

Heres what i would suggest to OP:
Manually config all of the AP's at work and home. Once this is done the first time, you will auto connect to each one when in range. I have my wifi at home and TGIFridays set up, and will connect as soon as i have the wifi turned on. If i leave it on all day, it will sniff out the nearest one and attempt to connect on its own (i found this out by simply driving and kept hearing a sound getting played over and over, it was finding wifi's in the street i live on as i drove down it). I dont run anything that didnt come with the phone as far as that is concerned.

shaggylive 05-13-2009 09:26 PM

you could write up a mortscipt to do this.

dkranes 05-13-2009 10:47 PM

So your work areas are covered in wifi....and you stated battery isn't an issue since you always plug in to a usb port. Am I missing something? Why don't you just keep wifi on all the time?

shaggylive 05-13-2009 11:05 PM

actually that's true. I'm sure the trick is remembering to turn it off.
although I'm reminded of some reg settings now... there are settings in the driver's reg entries to establish a timeout if not connected to ap. (I set for verrrry long, as I Navizon)

bruceo 05-14-2009 12:45 AM

I think the killer app is the one that uses gps location to automatically switch on wifi/data as specified

RonDutt 05-14-2009 01:16 AM

Battery isn't an issue while at work, it's remembering to turn it off :( Wifi kills the phone REALLY fast, even when just searching. I *could* set the scan time to a higher amount (10 minutes?), but it'll still be on (usage is about 310mA--without 57mA).

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like CT Scheduler is doing the job perfectly.