PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tried EVERY rom, nothing fixes keyboard lag

Moved to Main TP Forum
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Just a NooB
Pocket PC: ZoOm ZoOm EVO Time

Sporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketab View Post
Is this reffering to 6.5, bec mightmike's latest on 6.1 does not have the keyboard lag

false
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Russellhi is just getting started

google juicy 4.7

I've flashed most roms out. the only other rom I've been able to say with for more then a week is juicy 5. 5 has a slight lag but 4.7 has has been the best ALL around
Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

iconeo is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Its not actually the KB lagging. Its the display I beleive.
I'm running a custom 6.5 rom on the 21501 build and I used to have lag. I found a solution while trying to troubleshoot my GBA emulator.

I too, at first, believed that is was the display that was lagging the input of text. However, delving further into it I have found that it is how winmo interprets key codes coming from hardware keyboard.

Winmo hardware keyboards typically come with a modified msim*.dll which tends to be labeled something like msim*.dll where * is some identifier with digits. The reg code that points to the file is:

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\(the default value)]

Changing this to point to msim*.dll without any digits in it (which should still be on your phone even though it isn't being used) will change the hardware key codes back to normal.

!!! THIS WILL BREAK T9 or any advanced correction features !!!
This is most likely why turning off t9 lends to faster text input, but not as fast as this fix.

Props to dilta over at xda for the utility!

note: this hasn't been tested on foreign roms, use with caution.
Attached Files
File Type: cab KforTouchPro_v1.0.0.3.CAB (85.0 KB, 34 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by iconeo; 05-19-2009 at 12:41 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:48 AM
College ROM Teacher ESQ
Pocket PC: College ROM iphony Killer
Carrier: $print

piranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to piranah

i send 3-400 texts a day, and yea, disabling t9 and all the extras (auto correct, word suggestion) helps speed up the keyboard. Im using a custom rom from Calkus 21232 kitchen...and i dont have much of a keyboard lag..im really fast at texting so a .5 second delay is expected...especially when you dont know exactly what to say to the little woman...

Help Me Help You
Old 05-19-2009, 04:52 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconeo View Post
I'm running a custom 6.5 rom on the 21501 build and I used to have lag. I found a solution while trying to troubleshoot my GBA emulator.

I too, at first, believed that is was the display that was lagging the input of text. However, delving further into it I have found that it is how winmo interprets key codes coming from hardware keyboard.

Winmo hardware keyboards typically come with a modified msim*.dll which tends to be labeled something like msim*.dll where * is some identifier with digits. The reg code that points to the file is:

Changing this to point to msim*.dll without any digits in it (which should still be on your phone even though it isn't being used) will change the hardware key codes back to normal.

This is most likely why turning off t9 lends to faster text input, but not as fast as this fix.

Finally, I found a way to disable text suggestion since i can't find it in the Calkulin rom I'm using. I posted in the upgrades section but noboyd could help. This cab got rid of it after i soft reset. Wow, lag IS IS IS IMPROVED! Just did some texting. Nuts. This is huge. Don't know why ppl haven't made a big deal out of this before.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
I think you answered your own question....

Slider phones with Keyboard by HTC running Windows mobile have terrible keyboard lag. Period. Thats all there is to say....

Some custom ROM's claim to improve it but I have not seen that yet. Even my own kitchen does.....

Thats why I have a Diamond now. A keyboard on a WinMo slider will surely lead to this fustration.

If you need a keyboard the Diamond is not for you. Look at the Treo Pro. Wife just got it a few weeks ago. No issues with KB lag because screen does not rotate.

Its not actually the KB lagging. Its the display I beleive.

BTW: the phone is simply amazing. It doesnt stink. Windows Mobile Stinks... Badly. Thats why there are custom ROM's.

Either way.... Good luck!
I've been seeing some massive lag when sending text messages. I will type 5-6 words and I have to wait like 10 seconds for it to catch up with me. But when I'm sending email, there is virtually no lag whatsoever. Not sure what the deal is here?!?

I keep my sms inbox cleared out and I am using threaded messaging. I have word completion and correction off. I just don't understand why it lags sooooooooo bad in text but not in email?!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
I've been seeing some massive lag when sending text messages. I will type 5-6 words and I have to wait like 10 seconds for it to catch up with me. But when I'm sending email, there is virtually no lag whatsoever. Not sure what the deal is here?!?

I keep my sms inbox cleared out and I am using threaded messaging. I have word completion and correction off. I just don't understand why it lags sooooooooo bad in text but not in email?!
Did you try the cab I posted above? You have to run it you know. Its a program so you can toggle it on and off, it will be located in your games folder.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TL View Post
Finally, I found a way to disable text suggestion since i can't find it in the Calkulin rom I'm using. I posted in the upgrades section but noboyd could help. This cab got rid of it after i soft reset. Wow, lag IS IS IS IMPROVED! Just did some texting. Nuts. This is huge. Don't know why ppl haven't made a big deal out of this before.
Probably because in adding functionality it also break functionality which is never a popular thing. Plus, I got lucky discovering this while looking into something else. We were only trying to fix key mapping for games not speed up the keyboard...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

nswenson is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnswenson is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnswenson is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconeo View Post

Do not install this KforTouchPro.cab file unless you like doing hard resets frequently. The tool allows you to switch T9 on and off, but unfortunately causes the phone to hang at boot screen after the next soft reset when you forget to toggle T9 back on. There's no work-around other than to hard reset, or always remember to re-enable T9.

A better solution is to use the disablet9.zip patch to disable T9. This will not cause the boot issue. The only side affect is the SYM key does not work, which most people never use. You can alway uninstall the cab to get the default keyboard functionality back.

Nathan

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro