PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

garyflynn is keeping up the good workgaryflynn is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there an advantage to baking a rom vs cabs?

If I want to run pocketsudoku, tcmp music player, xn picture viewer and some other programs and the rom I use does not have it, would it be worth it to bake them into my own rom or just install cabs over a pre-made rom?

Do programs that are burned into rom run faster or use less power?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Is there an advantage to baking a rom vs cabs?

As far as I know, if you "cook" the programs into your ROM...you won't have to reinstall them in the event of a hard reset.

I'm not sure about using more power (don't think that really applies)...but I have experienced that cooked in apps are a tad bit faster than installed cabs.

Apps cooked into ROMs have to be OEM files...which I still don't have the whole grasp on yet...but I've found it quite convenient since I started cooking my own ROM.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 AM
College ROM Teacher ESQ
Pocket PC: College ROM iphony Killer
Carrier: $print

piranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to piranah

yea, programs are sometimes faster. The main advantage of building your own rom is that you can select what programs you want in your rom, so your not stuck with bloated programs that take up a lot of space in your ram/ start menu. the main advantage is saying you built it, aside from the fact that you dont have to worry about hard resets, as its all right there.

Help Me Help You
Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

I'd rather use sashimi or uc to install cabs b/c I can uninstall it if updates come out. The upside of cooking it into the rom is that the install time is much faster. That's a mute point for me since I use Sashimi.

I prefer to install cabs b/c I can easily change if an update comes out.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

imo if a cab works, use it. if not make a cpf.

I like my rom oem'd with the very basics (& prefered gps tracking tool)
then I have uc/sashimi install everything else. I find it much easier to update programs by just replacing the cab. also sashimi keeps all my reg tweaks orgainized.

Last edited by shaggylive; 05-15-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

Back in the Apache/6700 days, there was a storage advantage to stuffing as much into the ROM as possible. Not anymore. AFAIK, there has never been any speed advantage of OEM's over CAB's. It's just the convenience of not having to install those programs after a hard reset. Personally, I prefer to use sashimi or just manually install the cabs. Heck, in the old days we used to install programs one at a time, reseting in between to make sure each install worked right. As for the inadvertent hard reset, I keep 3 recent backup on my sd card. If I had to hard reset, I can be back up to speed in less than 10 minutes.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
As for the inadvertent hard reset, I keep 3 recent backup on my sd card. If I had to hard reset, I can be back up to speed in less than 10 minutes.
I do the same thing. I have a 16 gig Sandisk card & I have a folder on the card with 3-4 Sprite backups at all times.

I do keep redundant copies of those backups on my LT also as I have had "glitches" in the past that wiped out the entire card with over 12 gigs of stuff on it..............

~John
Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Metro PCS

YouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to YouMayLose

I agree cabs are the way to go.. If at some point you decide you dont need the program a simple uninstall gets rid of it.. if at some point an update comes out simple as uninstalling and reinstalling the updated version.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul (PPC6800) > HTC Touch (PPC6900) > HTC Touch Pro (PPC6850)
Carrier: Sprint Sero (1200 Min Plan)

divxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardivxrippimp is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to divxrippimp Send a message via MSN to divxrippimp Send a message via Yahoo to divxrippimp Send a message via Skype™ to divxrippimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TL View Post
I'd rather use sashimi or uc to install cabs b/c I can uninstall it if updates come out. The upside of cooking it into the rom is that the install time is much faster. That's a mute point for me since I use Sashimi.

I prefer to install cabs b/c I can easily change if an update comes out.
I do the same thing because of the reasons with updating... you cant update a lot of apps if they are cooked into a rom...
Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

ManUtd07 is becoming a great contributor

If you use a program such as Sashimi, what happens when you have multiple .cab files to install and some ask for a soft reset and some don't? Will they all get loaded or will something go wrong since you didn't soft reset right away? TIA

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro