PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

resnor is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Almost smashed my phone for the first time today

You need to be near an air conditioner, or fan. If you're on bluetooth, you can position the phone near the cooler air, and it will at least keep it cool enough to allow it to keep charging. The problem is the heat shut off...when the phone gets too hot, it stops charging. If the phone would keep charging when hot, you wouldn't run out of battery when plugged in.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Timeless
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by resnor View Post
You need to be near an air conditioner, or fan. If you're on bluetooth, you can position the phone near the cooler air, and it will at least keep it cool enough to allow it to keep charging. The problem is the heat shut off...when the phone gets too hot, it stops charging. If the phone would keep charging when hot, you wouldn't run out of battery when plugged in.
Exactly. It's a known flaw, and the response I got from HTC essentially told me the same thing. Phone gets "a little warm" (love their terminology) and prevents charging to protect it from overheating. But that's not a feature, that's a symptom of a huge design flaw. The phone produces large amounts of heat and can't dissipate them, so it stops functioning? That's like when my computer freezes and sets off a high-pitched tone to notify me that it got too hot, so it froze itself to prevent a meltdown. Sure, it's a feature that it prevented a permanent problem, but it's still only happening because something's wrong (fan's broken, heatsink's improperly seated, processor's overclocked too high, the room's way too hot, etc.).

As for your suggestions, they're not wrong, but sadly at times I'm not in a position with that options. Sometimes I'm trapped in a server room that's poorly-cooled, or a guard shack, or some other location with nothing in the way of cooling, and only a USB cable or a borrowed charge to plug my phone in as the call turns out to take longer than anticipated. But now carrying those items along seems pointless since the phone will ignore them anyway.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

resnor is a n00b

Oh, no doubt, man, I feel you on the horrible design of this. It really pisses me off, too. Actually, a couple months ago, I decided to stop by my "local" (it's an hour away from me) Sprint store, to try to get an extra battery for my Pro. On the way their, I was on the phone, and the battery was almost dead, so I plugged it in to charge. Well, of course, it got really hot, and refused to charge. So, when I got the store, I told them what was happening. They INSISTED that it was just that I had a bad phone. I told them "No," this is a pretty widespread problem...it's all over the internet, on different forums dedicated to these sorts of phones. Well, they wouldn't give me an extra battery, instead, they decided to replace my phone, free of charge to me. So, when the new one came in, I drove down, and switched it out. I tried to keep the old battery, cause I knew the problem would still exist, but the girl wouldn't let me. So, here I am, still with only one battery, and constantly charging my phone while at work so that it isn't dead for me on my way home. It's ridiculous how bad the battery life is.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

that reminds me, I was really hoping that samsung started a trend with 2 batteries, but doesn't seem have happened yet.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Lurker

fireman50 is a n00b

I read in another thread yesterday that different radios have been known to have some effect on heat issues. It's probably not enough to notice but I'm going to give it a shot. From what I read, the Telus radio and the Sprint 1.0.11 are better than the stock radio. Maybe you could try that and see if you get any better results. Other than that, I may just have to strap an old dual fan PII heat sink on the back.....
Old 05-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro

jelleroll is a n00b

What we really need is a way to tell the phone not to charge and just use the wallpower to keep the call going when it gets hot. That way we can give it a chance to cool off and get it charging again. it must be able to run off the wall power only since if you don't let it get too low it will charge even while on a call without problems. maybe one of the really intelligent people here will see this and write the prefect little app/mod for us.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Timeless
Threadstarter

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelleroll View Post
What we really need is a way to tell the phone not to charge and just use the wallpower to keep the call going when it gets hot. That way we can give it a chance to cool off and get it charging again. it must be able to run off the wall power only since if you don't let it get too low it will charge even while on a call without problems. maybe one of the really intelligent people here will see this and write the prefect little app/mod for us.
Unfortunately it's not wired that way, physically, from what I can tell. The power seems to pass through the battery before reaching the phone, as if you pull the battery when it's plugged in the phone shuts off.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

uraijit is a n00b

I'm running Nuebattery on my TP with Mighty 5.0 installed (WM 6.5 and all). It works fine. In fact, it actually CHARGES the battery during intensive power consumption, as opposed to merely "keeping up".

Today I was using WMWiFiRouter, and doing some pretty data-intensive stuff (streaming video, and browsing a few sites). I didn't have the quick charge enabled, and in about 10 min, I had ripped it down from 85% to 62%, while plugged in.

I decided to reenable the quick charge, and about 20-25 min later, I was back up to 100% charge, while I was still doing the same thing I'd been doing before while it discharged.

Check it out: http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pag...ueBattery.aspx

Can't recommend the driver though. It really messed up my phone. It thought that my battery was totally drained, no matter how full it was. I might give it another try later, but it really freaked me out, because it wouldn't even let me re-flash my rom, because it thought it had below 50% charge. Uninstalling it didn't help, I had to do a hard reset in order to be able to flash the rom.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:10 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraijit View Post
Can't recommend the driver though. It really messed up my phone. It thought that my battery was totally drained, no matter how full it was. I might give it another try later, but it really freaked me out, because it wouldn't even let me re-flash my rom, because it thought it had below 50% charge. Uninstalling it didn't help, I had to do a hard reset in order to be able to flash the rom.
yea, I forgot a battery driver once when I cooked and had that. you can enter bootloader manually and it will flash.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro