PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

inmnbob is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OMG This sucks

First of all...the good news. You may recall that about two months ago I said I lost my job. The good news is that I found a six month consulting gig that pays well so I am relieved for the time being. Thanks to your advice I did us the mail2web solution to keep an Exchange server going while looking for a job which helped withe email/outlook/calendar etc.

Now the bad part......the new employment place only supports Blackberry's.

It looks like I will have to get a second phone to use for email. Anyone have experience with Blackberry? I will need it only for email and outlook functions and not for voice. What model should I get?

Is there a good support site and any reason for me to get excited about it? Like cool applications that I wouldn't have on a windows system.

I love the TouchPro and WM6 and will keep my phone.

Toughts, advice?

I checked out Sprint and they weren't very helpful. Horizon seemed to offer a better deal.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer
Re: OMG This sucks

http://crackberry.com/
Old 05-09-2009, 01:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW

jsntrenkler is becoming a great contributor

If I were in your situation I would shelf my Touch Pro for the time being and pick up the sprint Blackberry Curve 8330. It's a fantastic device, while not the same as a windows mobile device it does have a few key advantages.

Speed = When you click on an icon it opens promptly, and works.

Stability = Alarms go off 100% of the time unlike windows mobile

Email = There really is no better solution .. Email rocks on a BB

Support = http://www.blackberryforums.com http://www.pinstack.com http://www.crackberry.com... All excellent communities!

Cons

Limited Ram = You can't install a program to your SD Card and your email and programs share the same space, install too many apps and run your ram low, the BB will automatically delete emails on the device side "won't delete from your IMAP"

Not as customizable = Windows Mobile is the device for customization, there is no equal.

No Touch Screen = It does take a little time to get used to, and once it's gone you may or may not miss it. I always found the BB OS to be quite intuitive.

Overall I would say that the HTC Touch pro is a superior device to the curve, however not enough to warrant you carrying two devices. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM Me.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:37 PM
N00b
Carrier: Alltel

emartinez13 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
If I were in your situation I would shelf my Touch Pro for the time being and pick up the sprint Blackberry Curve 8330. It's a fantastic device, while not the same as a windows mobile device it does have a few key advantages.

Speed = When you click on an icon it opens promptly, and works.

Stability = Alarms go off 100% of the time unlike windows mobile

Email = There really is no better solution .. Email rocks on a BB

Support = http://www.blackberryforums.com http://www.pinstack.com http://www.crackberry.com... All excellent communities!

Cons

Limited Ram = You can't install a program to your SD Card and your email and programs share the same space, install too many apps and run your ram low, the BB will automatically delete emails on the device side "won't delete from your IMAP"

Not as customizable = Windows Mobile is the device for customization, there is no equal.

No Touch Screen = It does take a little time to get used to, and once it's gone you may or may not miss it. I always found the BB OS to be quite intuitive.

Overall I would say that the HTC Touch pro is a superior device to the curve, however not enough to warrant you carrying two devices. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM Me.

I hope this helps!

I second this, I just switched to Sprint from metropcs 2 days ago and I picked up a BB Curve 8330 just to try it out since I got it so cheap with a contract and while I do miss the awesome vga screen of the TP, the blackberry will suffice. The email of BB is definitely impressive, I sent myself a test email and it arrived to my phone in 6 seconds. Also, the battery life so far on the BB seems to be WAY better than the TP, i've been tinkering with it quite a bit and the battery just lasts and lasts. Another plus is the curve is extremely light and it doesn't get hot at all unlike the TP, sometimes it gets so hot while on calls that I just let the person go just to get it away from my ear. I'm still debating on whether to keep the BB or put my TP on with Sprint. Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide.

E
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartinez13 View Post
I second this, I just switched to Sprint from metropcs 2 days ago and I picked up a BB Curve 8330 just to try it out since I got it so cheap with a contract and while I do miss the awesome vga screen of the TP, the blackberry will suffice. The email of BB is definitely impressive, I sent myself a test email and it arrived to my phone in 6 seconds. Also, the battery life so far on the BB seems to be WAY better than the TP, i've been tinkering with it quite a bit and the battery just lasts and lasts. Another plus is the curve is extremely light and it doesn't get hot at all unlike the TP, sometimes it gets so hot while on calls that I just let the person go just to get it away from my ear. I'm still debating on whether to keep the BB or put my TP on with Sprint. Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide.

E

Thanks for reminding me about battery life ... Yes the curve has far superior battery life.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Blackberries suck. The only benefit to them is the email service...which the device only plays a superficial client role in. Whoever said they are stable is naive. They run on a buggy, painfully slow to load JVM platform(who uses JVM for an OS?!?!?). Closed OS with virtually no file management. Its a baby device designed for people of like mind and ability. /endrant
Old 05-09-2009, 02:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

entwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularentwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularentwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

What type of battery life do you see out of A BB Curve?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwined82 View Post
What type of battery life do you see out of A BB Curve?

With my usage habits, I could pull it off the charger and use it a whole day and not have to charge until the following evening, I believe RIM say's it will last 3 to 4 days .. Even with light usage I think that is exaggerated. The curve IMHO is a fantastic device.

LOL ... Just checked with RIM Site .. Shows 11 Days Standby and 260 Minute Talk Time ... Wow, I know it's not that good .. Here is a link to where I found the information.

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberry...ications.shtml

Last edited by jsntrenkler; 05-09-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added Link to RIM site
Old 05-09-2009, 02:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

entwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularentwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularentwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Im considering getting a curve. I have an upgrade on my contract since I brought my own HTC touch pro to sprint so I'm thinking about it. It would be a good idea when I'm going to a music festival and I know it'll be 1-2 days at least before I can charge and I'll be on the phone constantly in that time.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwined82 View Post
Im considering getting a curve. I have an upgrade on my contract since I brought my own HTC touch pro to sprint so I'm thinking about it. It would be a good idea when I'm going to a music festival and I know it'll be 1-2 days at least before I can charge and I'll be on the phone constantly in that time.
Yes, Curve would last longer for an event like that ... Or I could sell you my stock Battery from my touch pro for $10 .. That would help too

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro