PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

WildAce786 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Push E-mail questions

Hey all,

As I was browsing the forums, I happened to come across THIS thread and immediately felt like . I have been using M2W for quite a while now and was quite pleased with it's Push E-mail capabilities; alas, this is no longer an option. As such, I am looking into other options that would allow me similiar (if not same) capabilities as M2W.

Therefore, I have a few questions that I hope members with experience in the field can assist me with:

SEVEN:
1) Is SEVEN beta a free service?
2) Does SEVEN push as well as (or better than) M2W?
3) Does it create a new e-mail address (i.e. username@seven.com or something) or does it push an existing address (i.e. comcast, hotmail, gmail...)?
4) How is the battery drain on the TP when using SEVEN vs. using M2W?
5) What server address, if any, do I need to put into my TP to get SEVEN to push e-mail (i.e. mobile.exchange.mail2web.com for M2W)?

HOTMAIL:
1) Does Hotmail push e-mail by itself, or does it need to be paired up with something else?
2) If it does push, what is the server address I need to put into my TP (i.e. mobile.exchange.mail2web.com for M2W)?

OTHER:
1) Are either of these services "Outlook" services that sync with ActiveSync (once again, like M2W)? I ask this only because I know it works with my TP "flawlessly".
2) If not, then what else do you folks recommend?

Lastly, I wasn't sure if this belonged in the TP forum, but seeing as the thread I referenced above was here, I hope it can be related.

Thank you all for your time.

Help me learn.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

82tarheel is just getting started
Re: Push E-mail questions

not sure what M2W is but I use gmail which does not push so I forward to a hotmail account and this seems to be working perfectly for me I get my emails instantly without changing an email address I have had for years
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAce786 View Post
SEVEN:
1) Is SEVEN beta a free service?
2) Does SEVEN push as well as (or better than) M2W?
3) Does it create a new e-mail address (i.e. username@seven.com or something) or does it push an existing address (i.e. comcast, hotmail, gmail...)?
4) How is the battery drain on the TP when using SEVEN vs. using M2W?
5) What server address, if any, do I need to put into my TP to get SEVEN to push e-mail (i.e. mobile.exchange.mail2web.com for M2W)?
1. Yes, seven is free.
2. Don't know, haven't used M2W.
3. No new address. I used seven with gmail, and kept my @gmail.com address.
4. Don't know, haven't used M2W. Don't use seven anymore, but when I did, it wasn't a battery killer.
5. When you sign up for seven, you get a cab file you run. It creates an email account (looks like any other pop / imap account, but is push). So, if I recall correctly, you don't have to enter any server info, the cab does it for you.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

@82tarheel: M2W = Mail2Web .

So does this mean that Hotmail pushes to the Touch Pro (meaning that I can forward Comcast E-mail messages to a newly created Hotmail account and have it Push to my TP)? If so, how do I set up Hotmail so that it can push to the Touch Pro (i.e. what is Hotmail's server address)?

@regression:

Do you have an estimate of how long your TP would last with and without using SEVEN?
Also, what do you use now instead?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
@82tarheel: M2W = Mail2Web .

So does this mean that Hotmail pushes to the Touch Pro (meaning that I can forward Comcast E-mail messages to a newly created Hotmail account and have it Push to my TP)? If so, how do I set up Hotmail so that it can push to the Touch Pro (i.e. what is Hotmail's server address)?
When I played with Hotmail push, I went to Start --> Programs --> Windows Live. In that app, there is a wizard to setup your @live.com email address (I created a new one) and told it to download messages as they are received (ie push), and it setup all the address info itself.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
When I played with Hotmail push, I went to Start --> Programs --> Windows Live. In that app, there is a wizard to setup your @live.com email address (I created a new one) and told it to download messages as they are received (ie push), and it setup all the address info itself.
So I would have to go to Windows Live, set up my @live.com address and then have Comcast e-mail forwarded to the username@live.com address?

Would all this be done directly from the TP?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
So I would have to go to Windows Live, set up my @live.com address and then have Comcast e-mail forwarded to the username@live.com address?

Would all this be done directly from the TP?
If I recall what I did (and keep in mind I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday ), I went to mail.live.com on my PC and setup a new account. Then I went to the TP to the Windows Live and signed in with my new @live.com username / password. Then told Windows Live to get messages as they are received. Then went to gmail and forwarded all mail to my new @live.com address.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
If I recall what I did (and keep in mind I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday ),
Yep, 6 shots of whisky a day will do that to ya.

Quote:
I went to mail.live.com on my PC and setup a new account. Then I went to the TP to the Windows Live and signed in with my new @live.com username / password. Then told Windows Live to get messages as they are received. Then went to gmail and forwarded all mail to my new @live.com address.
Very nice runthrough.
Now just to confirm, Windows Live is also free, correct?

Also, I would like to know:
1) Do you have an estimate of how long your TP would last with and without using SEVEN?
2) What do YOU use now to push e-mails?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Yep, 6 shots of whisky a day will do that to ya.

Very nice runthrough.
Now just to confirm, Windows Live is also free, correct?

Also, I would like to know:
1) Do you have an estimate of how long your TP would last with and without using SEVEN?
2) What do YOU use now to push e-mails?

Yes, windows Live is free.

1. Don't really remember.

2. I don't use push anymore. I just setup my gmail as IMAP and have it send / receive every 5 minutes. I carry an extra battery with me and usually have the phone charging when I'm sitting at work.

I did have some problems with seven either crashing or causing my TF3D to crash, which is why I took it off. That was a while ago, so that may be fixed.

Also, with seven, when you install it, it sends a text message to an international number to confirm it is being installed to a valid phone number. So you will get a 20 cent charge on your Sprint bill. This should be a one time charge, just when you set it up, but I have heard other people say sometimes seven would encounter a problem have to "re-set it self up, thus having another 20 cent charge), although I never experienced this.

The reason I don't use Windows Live push anymore is when I reply, I want to reply with my gmail.com address, not my live.com address. One work around would be to use Windows Live to receive emails. When you see an email you want to reply to, switch to another account you setup as IMAP and do a manual send / receive, then reply to the message in that account.... Kind of cumbersome, but the only way I know to reply with your gmail.com address (or whatever address) using the Windows Live method.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

82tarheel is just getting started

Quote:
Yes, windows Live is free.

1. Don't really remember.

2. I don't use push anymore. I just setup my gmail as IMAP and have it send / receive every 5 minutes. I carry an extra battery with me and usually have the phone charging when I'm sitting at work.

I did have some problems with seven either crashing or causing my TF3D to crash, which is why I took it off. That was a while ago, so that may be fixed.

Also, with seven, when you install it, it sends a text message to an international number to confirm it is being installed to a valid phone number. So you will get a 20 cent charge on your Sprint bill. This should be a one time charge, just when you set it up, but I have heard other people say sometimes seven would encounter a problem have to "re-set it self up, thus having another 20 cent charge), although I never experienced this.

The reason I don't use Windows Live push anymore is when I reply, I want to reply with my gmail.com address, not my live.com address. One work around would be to use Windows Live to receive emails. When you see an email you want to reply to, switch to another account you setup as IMAP and do a manual send / receive, then reply to the message in that account.... Kind of cumbersome, but the only way I know to reply with your gmail.com address (or whatever address) using the Windows Live method.
Yes that is one problem when replying but when using the send/receive method I have found to be a big battery drain
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro