PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Where's the latest official TP ROM update? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=67709)

Nagual 05-06-2009 06:27 PM

Where's the latest official TP ROM update?

The latest offical Diamond ROM was posted over a month ago but so far there's nothing for the Pro.

As someone who doesn't want to mess with cooked ROMs (no offense to those who are more adventurous) this is getting kind of annoying. There are several issues a new ROM might fix and the phone has been out for more than 6 months.

Is there any word about when an updated one might be released? There's a hard reset in my future so it may as well be one where I get some bug fixes and minor improvements.

amw1972 05-06-2009 06:34 PM

Re: Where's the latest official TP ROM update?

I say...rid yourself of frustration...and take a plunge. Flash a custom ROM...to get the MOST out of your device.

There are plenty "basic" 6.1 ROM's out there that are stable. Some even retain the look and feel of the stock Sprint ROM.

Can't beat the better battery life...major improvement on the heat issue...and general responsiveness of the phone.

You can also improve on battery life, heat, and signal strength...

:headbang:

BikerSk8rKid 05-06-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 899797)
The latest offical Diamond ROM was posted over a month ago but so far there's nothing for the Pro.

As someone who doesn't want to mess with cooked ROMs (no offense to those who are more adventurous) this is getting kind of annoying. There are several issues a new ROM might fix and the phone has been out for more than 6 months.

Is there any word about when an updated one might be released? There's a hard reset in my future so it may as well be one where I get some bug fixes and minor improvements.

It's okay I am the same way, don't feel like doing the Custom Rom's yet.
I just got the new Sprint Rom from Jmz or something. He said it fixed a lot of problems, because I am going through some huge ones. :/ I just haven't done it yet, kind of procastanating on it. But yeah I talked to a tech awhile ago when I first got my phone and he told me to go to some websites, but I forget what they were. :(
All you do is download the file, run it and it flashes. Direct link is below. Hopefully that helps and fixes the problem. Let me know how it works out, because by then I'll probably still haven't flashed it over. LoL
http://rapidshare.com/files/17615341...3_Ship.exe.zip

Edit: What will having the phone get hot do? I've only noticed it once while it was charging.
I do want to find something to get my Signal Stronger. Any help would be nice.

Rusty Duck 05-06-2009 09:29 PM

Go custom!!!! There are so many choices!!!!

p-slim 05-06-2009 09:42 PM

if you don't go custom then you're unfortunately on you're own. No one knows when sprint will release one, one day it will just be there, just like the diamond. They are probably waiting for 6.5 because most tp owners are running the 6.5 custom roms. I myself built my 6.5 rom using ppc kitchen.

Talon Pro 05-06-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 900126)
if you don't go custom then you're unfortunately on you're own. No one knows when sprint will release one, one day it will just be there, just like the diamond. They are probably waiting for 6.5 because most tp owners are running the 6.5 custom roms. I myself built my 6.5 rom using ppc kitchen.

Yea, you can wait till the cows come home for 'Sprint' to release an 'HTC ROM'... duh!

Nagual 05-07-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 900126)

I seriously doubt the reason the ROM is delayed is because of WM 6.5. Sprint and HTC have no interest in supporting and designing for a whole new version of WM and Microsoft has already said 6.5 will only be on next-gen devices with no upgrades officially supported from current 6.1 devices.

Also, the Diamond and Pro ROMs are so similar in so many ways that I figure the ROM should be down the pipeline in hopefully the near future...I just wondered if anyone had any word on it. I do browse the custom ROM pages a bit but don't really see a need for it and don't want to relearn a whole lot of functions and bugs again.

Nagual 05-07-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerSk8rKid (Post 899937)
It's okay I am the same way, don't feel like doing the Custom Rom's yet.
I just got the new Sprint Rom from Jmz or something. He said it fixed a lot of problems, because I am going through some huge ones. :/ I just haven't done it yet, kind of procastanating on it. But yeah I talked to a tech awhile ago when I first got my phone and he told me to go to some websites, but I forget what they were. :(
All you do is download the file, run it and it flashes. Direct link is below. Hopefully that helps and fixes the problem. Let me know how it works out, because by then I'll probably still haven't flashed it over. LoL
http://rapidshare.com/files/17615341...3_Ship.exe.zip

Edit: What will having the phone get hot do? I've only noticed it once while it was charging.
I do want to find something to get my Signal Stronger. Any help would be nice.

Thanks but going by the filename, it looks to me like that's largely the same shipped ROM that's already on the phone (or in my case might actually be older).

If you have a link to JMZ's post explaining what this file is, that would be even more helpful.

But I'd have to assume anything leaked at this point is not a final official ROM, although the next radio version out there is the same one as on the Diamond official update, if a person wants to only flash that part (me, I'm waiting for the whole package).

frazell 05-07-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagual (Post 901175)
I seriously doubt the reason the ROM is delayed is because of WM 6.5. Sprint and HTC have no interest in supporting and designing for a whole new version of WM and Microsoft has already said 6.5 will only be on next-gen devices with no upgrades officially supported from current 6.1 devices.

Microsoft has already recanted that restriction. WinMo 6.5 is open to any device that OEMs and MOs want to upgrade as long as it has at least a 400Mhz chip and 128MB of RAM (for new PocketIE).

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/31/m...weaked-polici/

basilray 05-07-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazell (Post 901337)
Microsoft has already recanted that restriction. WinMo 6.5 is open to any device that OEMs and MOs want to upgrade as long as it has at least a 400Mhz chip and 128MB of RAM (for new PocketIE).

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/31/m...weaked-polici/

Wow.

I read that article myself, and totally missed the upgrade note at the end of the article. Score!

I love Engadget.