PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: RAPH100
Carrier: Sprint

jshell73 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Where's the latest official TP ROM update?

Nothing against the OP but man, give the cooked ROM's a shot. I was VERY hesitant as well but if you run your own stock ROM updates, it's the same process and you don't have to re-install all your custom cabs like custom taskbar, diamond tweak, etc
Old 05-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagual View Post
I seriously doubt the reason the ROM is delayed is because of WM 6.5. Sprint and HTC have no interest in supporting and designing for a whole new version of WM and Microsoft has already said 6.5 will only be on next-gen devices with no upgrades officially supported from current 6.1 devices.

Also, the Diamond and Pro ROMs are so similar in so many ways that I figure the ROM should be down the pipeline in hopefully the near future...I just wondered if anyone had any word on it. I do browse the custom ROM pages a bit but don't really see a need for it and don't want to relearn a whole lot of functions and bugs again.
Those functions you're worried about learning, you might as well learn them because every future winmo phone will have it, so sooner or later you'll be forced to learn. Plus as stated above microsoft recanted on saying its only for new devices the software has been opened up to all devices that meet the specs and the touch pro definitely meets the specs being as its the same as the tp2 which has already been confirmed 6.5 ready.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshell73 View Post
Nothing against the OP but man, give the cooked ROM's a shot. I was VERY hesitant as well but if you run your own stock ROM updates, it's the same process and you don't have to re-install all your custom cabs like custom taskbar, diamond tweak, etc
People will always be afraid of the unknown. I personally was scared to try roms but now i try one everyday it seems plus i've even started using the kitchen to build my own, its sooooo simple.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work

This is getting somewhat off topic if still interesting, but I think some of you really are not solid in your thinking about 6.5; you're not putting yourself in HTC and Sprint's place.

Sprint, if not HTC, do not want to deal with the support headaches of whole new ROMs with 6.5 for an old device. They will be as conservative as possible as all cell companies tend to be. Especially because 6.5 will not officially come out until later this year, at which point the TP will be ancient in cell-phone time. Sure, there will be cooked ROMs with newer 6.5 versions, but I'd pretty much bet money the official ROMs won't have it.

Thanks for the kind encouragement about using cooked ROMs, but I really want to give the official one a chance first. If it ever gets here.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
This is getting somewhat off topic if still interesting, but I think some of you really are not solid in your thinking about 6.5; you're not putting yourself in HTC and Sprint's place.

Sprint, if not HTC, do not want to deal with the support headaches of whole new ROMs with 6.5 for an old device. They will be as conservative as possible as all cell companies tend to be. Especially because 6.5 will not officially come out until later this year, at which point the TP will be ancient in cell-phone time. Sure, there will be cooked ROMs with newer 6.5 versions, but I'd pretty much bet money the official ROMs won't have it.

Thanks for the kind encouragement about using cooked ROMs, but I really want to give the official one a chance first. If it ever gets here.
thats fine for you to feel that way, but you have no evidence or reasoning behind your feeling. you're just saying i bet... Now the reasoning behind my beliefs is because when the mogul was released it was version 6.0. When windows released 6.1, sure enough sprint came up with an updated rom to 6.1. Now why would this situation be any different besides your gut feeling? And what do you mean 6.5 release later this year, they've already stated its being released on may 11th. Nowhere does it say the may 11 release is beta, so why do you believe it isn't the officiall release???
Old 05-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
thats fine for you to feel that way, but you have no evidence or reasoning behind your feeling. you're just saying i bet... Now the reasoning behind my beliefs is because when the mogul was released it was version 6.0. When windows released 6.1, sure enough sprint came up with an updated rom to 6.1. Now why would this situation be any different besides your gut feeling? And what do you mean 6.5 release later this year, they've already stated its being released on may 11th. Nowhere does it say the may 11 release is beta, so why do you believe it isn't the officiall release???
I base my reasoning on working for a technology company and knowing how they tend to think, so it's not just a "gut feeling." Software upgrades, especially to something as different as 6.5 is in some ways, are humongous headaches to support. Simple as that. And 6.1 ---> 6.5 is I think a far bigger difference than 6.0 ---> 6.1 was.

BTW, where did you get this May 11th date from? I'm not against a WM OS upgrade like that of course, it would be nice to get an official one if it's part of the package?

ETA: Nope, not releasing May 11. http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...on_may_11.html

Last edited by Nagual; 05-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
I base my reasoning on working for a technology company and knowing how they tend to think, so it's not just a "gut feeling." Software upgrades, especially to something as different as 6.5 is in some ways, are humongous headaches to support. Simple as that. And 6.1 ---> 6.5 is I think a far bigger difference than 6.0 ---> 6.1 was.

BTW, where did you get this May 11th date from? I'm not against a WM OS upgrade like that of course, it would be nice to get an official one if it's part of the package?

ETA: Nope, not releasing May 11. http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...on_may_11.html
since no release on may 11th, you defnitely might want to think about a custom rom then.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro