PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Darren.Reynolds is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Digitizer Replacement Instructions Request

I recently bought a replacement digitizer (touch screen) for my HTC Touch Pro. I found these official instructions for "complete" disassembly:

http://www.mikechannon.net/PDF%20Man...20Dec%2008.pdf

The problem is, the instructions aren't quite as "complete" as they make out, because they stop short of removing the digitizer. This phone is completely different to the Touch or any other phone I can find, so I'm hoping someone here can post instructions (preferably with a gazillion photos and a video) so I can stand half a chance.

I've managed to get the phone separated into two basic pieces, and am right down to the bit where I need to take the digitizer and LCD out ... but it's stuck! Help!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

lightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stuff
Re: Digitizer Replacement Instructions Request

From what I've read, the digitizer and LCD are glued together and glued to the front face plate with some kind of adhesive.

I may be misunderstanding your question and/or misinterpreting what I've read, but it sounds like you won't be able to do what you want to do. Best of luck to you and I hope I'm wrong

EDIT: OK, I found this Russian guide here and threw it through a translator. Hope it helps bro

Last edited by lightninjay; 05-03-2009 at 11:03 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Darren.Reynolds is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninjay View Post
From what I've read, the digitizer and LCD are glued together and glued to the front face plate with some kind of adhesive.
The instructions you posted are great!

But I'm afraid you seem to be right about the glue. In trying to get the LCD off the digitizer I have succeeded in destroying the LCD. Some of the glass has crumbled, a rubber piece has fallen off and a silvery mirror now has a bend in it.

The LCD and digitizer did come out fairly easily as a combined unit once I realised you have to push them out through the front having loosened the glue with the plastic gadget they give you. If I'd come here first and found the instructions you posted I might have been able to get the LCD+digitiser out without wrecking the LCD. That said, I still wouldn't have been able to separate them.

I now have to buy a replacement LCD/Digitiser combined. I'm annoyed that they even sell the digitizer separately - they are IMPOSSIBLE to fit without breaking the LCD due to being firmly glued together.

Folks: DO NOT BUY A DIGITIZER WITHOUT AN LCD, unless you have some inside knowledge on how to soften the glue.

I've seen a few posts here talking about a rainbow-effect on the touch-screen when held at a certain angle to the light. In my limited experience (two broken screens) this is a sign that your touch screen is about to stop responding to being touched. Once it goes, buy a replacement LCD/Digitiser.

Thanks
Darren
Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Ahh.. yes. I dismantled my pro a while back and noticed the LCD and front frame are glued.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

It is possible to replace digitizer that are glued to the lcd. I have done it with no problems. You just have to be careful where you pry.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

acmegeek is a n00b

I figured out how to fix mine with duct tape!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92254

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro