PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

iPatrol is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Phone as Modem - URGENT

I'm currently on hold with sprint. I need to use my phone as a Modem so I can do my police reports on the go.

I currently have unlimited data, but was advised that I needed to add sprints new pricing 15$/mo phone as modem data pack

Questions the tards on the phone could not answer:

1. How fast will this be going? Would I be better off with a data card?...
2. What software am I going to need to install on the computer to get it to work
3. Can I use this phone as a GPS unit for Microsoft Street & Trips 2009

Please and thank you.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

iPatrol is a n00b
Re: Phone as Modem - URGENT

Add:

I just got off the phone with sprint, and they advised me that my plan "Unlimited Data Shared 1500" won't allow them to add the 15$ feature to my account.

The sprint rep advised that I should try it, and see if it works with just my data plan.

Can anyone advise.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Very Important Person
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatrol View Post
1. How fast will this be going? Would I be better off with a data card?...
Depends on your area, I get anywhere from 1 to 2 mbit
Quote:
2. What software am I going to need to install on the computer to get it to work
Well, i'm not sure what software you need if you get the actual PAm plan, most people on this site just do the "tethering hack" or install a custom rom and don't need an additional PAM plan for data to work
Quote:
3. Can I use this phone as a GPS unit for Microsoft Street & Trips 2009
This question was asked not too long ago and I don't think it is possible but search for it yourself
Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

nate.spangler is halfway to VIP status based on repnate.spangler is halfway to VIP status based on repnate.spangler is halfway to VIP status based on repnate.spangler is halfway to VIP status based on repnate.spangler is halfway to VIP status based on repnate.spangler is halfway to VIP status based on repnate.spangler is halfway to VIP status based on repnate.spangler is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Add:

I just got off the phone with sprint, and they advised me that my plan "Unlimited Data Shared 1500" won't allow them to add the 15$ feature to my account.

The sprint rep advised that I should try it, and see if it works with just my data plan.

Can anyone advise.
i have the same plan, and i use juicy 7, plug it in, select internet sharing, wait about 15 seconds and bam, i have internet. used it last night as a matter of fact. forgot to pay the att bill. im on vista and it automatically installed the required drivers
Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:

Please and thank you.
Personally, I use wmwifirouter. I have unlimited data and use it sparingly. Speeds are kind of slow. If you are going to be using it a lot then I'd get a data card or something. I hear there is a 5 GB/month limit and if you exceed that, sprint will flag your account and possibly cancel it.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint hoes

Massdes07 is a n00b

get the internet sharing fix for your phone and you then have a selection choice of phone as a modem or sprint. chose sprint and you wont have to get a separate data plan. choosing sprint uses your phones internet connection and sprint thinks your surfing the web on your phone so you wont get charged. just search for internet sharing fix and follow the directions
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

iPatrol is a n00b

I'm using MightyROM5

I just noticed, there is an additional option I can choose, when I connect the phone to the computer.

"Phone as Modem" - I don't know what hacks are pre-installed on my phone, but based on the information provided, do you think I'm set to go?

I disabled my Cable Modem, and used the phone. So far, I'm getting internet!!!

Please advise before I get a 4000 phone bill lol.

Thanks.

-W
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

iPatrol is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskiyab View Post
Depends on your area, I get anywhere from 1 to 2 mbit

Well, i'm not sure what software you need if you get the actual PAm plan, most people on this site just do the "tethering hack" or install a custom rom and don't need an additional PAM plan for data to work

This question was asked not too long ago and I don't think it is possible but search for it yourself
Understood, Thanks bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.spangler View Post
i have the same plan, and i use juicy 7, plug it in, select internet sharing, wait about 15 seconds and bam, i have internet. used it last night as a matter of fact. forgot to pay the att bill. im on vista and it automatically installed the required drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
Personally, I use wmwifirouter. I have unlimited data and use it sparingly. Speeds are kind of slow. If you are going to be using it a lot then I'd get a data card or something. I hear there is a 5 GB/month limit and if you exceed that, sprint will flag your account and possibly cancel it.
I'll research to see what that is, and how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massdes07 View Post
get the internet sharing fix for your phone and you then have a selection choice of phone as a modem or sprint. chose sprint and you wont have to get a separate data plan. choosing sprint uses your phones internet connection and sprint thinks your surfing the web on your phone so you wont get charged. just search for internet sharing fix and follow the directions
10-4, thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
N00b
Carrier: US Cellular

AmDD is a n00b

Quote:
I'm using MightyROM5

I just noticed, there is an additional option I can choose, when I connect the phone to the computer.

"Phone as Modem" - I don't know what hacks are pre-installed on my phone, but based on the information provided, do you think I'm set to go?

I disabled my Cable Modem, and used the phone. So far, I'm getting internet!!!

Please advise before I get a 4000 phone bill lol.

Thanks.

-W
id like to know as well. im running MightyROM 4.16 and just for kicks i tried setting up internet sharing via bluetooth last night, i picked "phone as modem" and it worked fine. whats the difference in "data" and "phone as modem"?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

phone as modem costs waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more. You need to use the sprint connection or they'll know you're tethering. Currenty on sprint, there is no limit for data usage on the PHONE connection, only on the phone as modem data connection. Be careful about this.

Sponsored by Kools.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro