PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 02:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

garyflynn is keeping up the good workgaryflynn is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone gotten POP3 gmail working on a sprint touch pro?

I prefer pop to imap because my approach to new and deleted emails are different on the server and on my mobile. I want to delete emails from my mobile but leave them on the server, even as unread.

putting a gmail address and password into the account setup leads to wm6.1 and 6.5 automatically assigning an imap setting, I think going as far as overriding your gmail preferences if imap was disabled there.

putting a fake address, such a g@f allows you to set up a pop account, and use pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com as the servers. But I have not been able to successfully download emails. I am able to upload emails with these settings.

Does anyone have any ideas what I may be missing?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff
Re: Has anyone gotten POP3 gmail working on a sprint touch pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyflynn View Post
I prefer pop to imap because my approach to new and deleted emails are different on the server and on my mobile. I want to delete emails from my mobile but leave them on the server, even as unread.

putting a gmail address and password into the account setup leads to wm6.1 and 6.5 automatically assigning an imap setting, I think going as far as overriding your gmail preferences if imap was disabled there.

putting a fake address, such a g@f allows you to set up a pop account, and use pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com as the servers. But I have not been able to successfully download emails. I am able to upload emails with these settings.

Does anyone have any ideas what I may be missing?
Uncheck the option to automatically determine settings. I think Gmail requires SSL on port 995 for incoming(pop) and 595 outgoing(smtp). Need to select the advanced server settings to activate/set these.

Correction, outgoing SSL port is 587 and outgoing server requires authentication needs to be checked using same settings as incoming mail server (another check box)

Last edited by AceXMachine; 04-29-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

retrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Heh, you got it out quicker, Ace. Yeah Gary, um, what he said.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So is pop working for gmail for you two?

I'm running Sprint using the WWE 6.5 rom but I've tried using both 6.1 and 6.5 a whole lot of different roms and have not gotten POP to work.

I'm able to send messages. So smtp must work. Incoming messages do not seem to arrive.

When I send/receive, no matter how many messages are in my inbox, it says it is cycling through 290 headers, but when it's finished, there are no messages except the wm6.1 or 6.5 welcome account message.

The only place it seems it could possibly take a port number is in the server address bar, which gives me no different response if I use pop.gmail.com or pop.gmail.com:995

I'd greatly appreciate any more help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg advanced server settings.jpg (59.9 KB, 21 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg incoming mail server.jpg (57.4 KB, 18 views) Click for barcode!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

been running pop gmail since day one, no prob. Yeah it works man-Sprint stock-
Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

retrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIPretrodeviant is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Try typing your user name like this: recent:user@gmail.com

Leave the other settings as is.

smtp.gmail.com:587
pop.gmail.com:995
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Wow. Recent:user@gmail.com works!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

exactly, brought that setting with me from my days with the Mogul, it was generated automatically then....
Old 04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
VIP Member

Glad I could help!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro