PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond & Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS / Verizon Wireless

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Devileyezz
Cool ReadyBoost for Touch Pro.

Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice if HTC comes up with something like Microsoft ReadyBoost (or if it's being included in WM6.5/7?). For those of you who don't know, and who also hate how our devices like the TP are slow, Readyboost can be the answer.

What ReadyBoost does is, it uses the available space on an external disk towards RAM to speed up functions. In a perfect world, I'd like to create a directory called "RAM" on an SD card and all the 'space' in it gets used as RAM, even if outside the directory there is tons of free space....

...gah, I'm dreaming again. But anyway, ReadyBoost for Windows Mobile, that'd be GREAT!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: sprint

almighty is a n00b
Re: ReadyBoost for Touch Pro.

not be say your wrong but you are, the slow issues with the touch pro are not related to limited ram atleast not to my knowledge.

ready boost is simply pagefile, (usage of storage as temporary/overflow of ram) pagefile has been a part of windows since 98?(citation needed) and has almost always been know for being slow and causing issues due to the lower speed avalible to storage media. Ready boost is designed to be written/read from USB flash drives that use no physical parts and have a quicker read/write time than many harddrives. The truth of the matter, flash memory is still very slow in comparison to RAM memory, slow to the point that it is comparable to flying vs driving.

also, Im not sure why people feel the TP is so slow, it has its moments, but i think driver support would fix most of these issues, and maybe some windows bugs.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Dream, Kaiser, Herman
Carrier: rogers

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP

windows mobile has a pagepool, same stuff....
Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

LunaticSerenade is keeping up the good workLunaticSerenade is keeping up the good work

I think ReadyBoost for WM probably wouldn't help simply because SD Card Read/Write speeds are pretty awful.

Also, even with a VZW Touch Pro, its not really slow. It may lag on occasion, but over all, I'm pretty satisfied with it, particularly compared to my old i760, which was so ****ed up that it was a treat to get it to actually run right....plus 64MB RAM total lol.
Search is your best friend.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond & Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS / Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Devileyezz

But well, something like it would be good. I'm sure 2GB of RAM on a laptop isn't bad either, but people still like MORE! I like MORE!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: PPCGEEKS AND SPRINT

fearbasel04 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfearbasel04 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfearbasel04 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

tp2 is your answer and when that seems slow i am sure tp3 will be out.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Dream, Kaiser, Herman
Carrier: rogers

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP

tp2 is same internal spec as tp, it's just a screen and some cosmetic enhancments
Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearbasel04 View Post
tp2 is your answer .
answer to what??

TP2 won't be any faster than a TP1...........

~John
Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 - Energy 6.5 ROM
Carrier: Sprint

Erythros is keeping up the good workErythros is keeping up the good work

I agree with the aforementioned responses to your question, and in addition I would suggest finding a cooked ROM that fits your needs.

The stock sprint rom that came with my TP Was horribly slow...Slow transitions, delays, lock-ups, etc.
- I immediately flashed to Mighty ROM, and loved it for all of its upgrades and speed increase.
- Then I liked the Rhodium Theme and flashed JMZ's Rom (Which has since been removed), but which I still currently use since it is even faster and smoother, and of course 200% better than the Stock rom..

As a long time reader of ppc and flashing all my ppc phones since the 6700 I highly recommend reading all of the posts related to your model and maybe even testing a few ROMS for yourself.

I promise I will make a donation to all those who have made my phones better.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I think the OP misunderstands readyboost a little bit.

Readyboost lpre-loads commonly accessed files on to reserved space on USB flash drives. Only USB 2.0 drives are supported, and some flash drives that are 2.0 may still fail due to having inherently low speeds.

The reason that these small files are loaded into the flash drive is because the access times are much faster than that of a hard drive. In a hard drive, the read/write head has to physically move around the platters inside the drive to access information stored in different locations. On a flash drive, it's all solid-state, so access times are considerably faster - no moving parts to have to wait for!

Our phones don't have hard drives, their internal storage is solid state. The internal memory and RAM both have fairly high data transfer rates... especially when compared to the transfer speed of the SD card slot. So because there is little-to-no latency for small, random read/writes, something like readyboost wouldn't help at all.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro