PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy cannot connect remote desktop

Ok. this is really bugging the hell out of me. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect my TP to my XP machine. Im currently using MR5 the v4/25. The pc im trying to connect to is xp pro and can be accessed from my xp home pc from a different room with no problem. so im pretty i got all my setting right. Im usually pretty tech savvy so its bugging me that i cant figure out something that every where i read says its so simple. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Re: cannot connect remote desktop

How are you connected to the Internet on your TP? Wifi or EVDO?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

from what ive read im suppose to connect to my local intranet to establish a connect then use similar settings to connect through the internet. so im currently trying to connect through wifi
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

xenoncode is a n00b

There is alot that can conflict, If you are connecting through your wifi ( most common ) make sure you allow the device to connect to the pc with conflicts with windows firewall or a third party firewall, This is the most common reason to have this issue as the device will have a IP address and it may not be trusted on the PC to allow remote connection. Try disabling or adding a exception in the firewall and see if that changes the issue.

If you are connecting with the Data Network then there can be some other conflicts - First you would need to use the IP for your ISP, and use the proper port, Make sure your router is configured properly to allow remote desktop connection and the port is open for the IP for the computer you wish to connect to.

I hope this helps out, need anything feel free to post or PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

what information am i suppose to input when using rdm? im pretty sure ive got my router set up right. ive heard mixed responses like using computer name followed by a backslash then profile name or by using ip addresses. so i wanna make sure i putting in the right information then ill go from there to see what other rd blocks i encounter.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

bump?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

When using Wifi on your LAN, you don't need to change anything on your router - it should "just work" since you've indicated that you're already using it from another LAN client machine. If you're using EVDO, as xenoncode indicated you have to get your network's public IP address, allow RDP traffic from outside the LAN subnet in your XP Pro windows firewall, open the relevant port (I forgot the standard port number because I always change mine) in your router, and direct incoming traffic on that port to your XP machine.

It's a great thing to learn how to do, but I highly recommend a few alterations as a bare minimum: change the default port using regedit (I've always had to reboot the XP PC to make it take), and set login limits for failed passwords with a reasonable timeout, so you'll know someone "found you" if you come home and your XP system is locked out because some script kiddie was hammering at your router trying to gain access to your PC.

Really, if this is NOT a MightyRom5 issue (and I suspect it's not just due to Occam's razor), it belongs in a more general forum than here. Not to say there aren't brilliant people here who can help you get it working, but the focus here is on the touch pro. That said, Remote Desktop looks ***AWESOME*** on the touch Pro. It's like having a really little full XP machine in your hands.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

thanks guys. I dont know what i did but suddenly started working. Looks great. the only problem im having now is when i try to play a video remotely i get audio but no video... but guess thats an issue for another post.. lol.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro