PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

seti007 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using TP GPS without Sprint service possible?

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the TP as a stand alone GPS without service from sprint. I installed Garmin and IGO8 on this phone but cant seem to get any GPS activity? IGO siits there waiting for a GPS signal and Garmin just says no GPS device found. Does that mean that when the service is disconnected, the GPS chip is deactivated as well? Is there any way activate the GPS chip without activating with sprint?
Thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO (Diamond Pro)
Carrier: Sprint

lion75y is just getting started
Re: Using TP GPS without Sprint service possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seti007 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the TP as a stand alone GPS without service from sprint. I installed Garmin and IGO8 on this phone but cant seem to get any GPS activity? IGO siits there waiting for a GPS signal and Garmin just says no GPS device found. Does that mean that when the service is disconnected, the GPS chip is deactivated as well? Is there any way activate the GPS chip without activating with sprint?
Thanks
I dont know what u really mean but i never use the Telenav from sprint that comes with the phone or pay anything for GPS.. i normally use GoogleMaps, or Windows Live they provide softwares for ur phone and they are for free of course they are not going to be like an actual GPS that tells u turn right or left but more simple but at least gives u an idea to know what route to take.. just google it on your phone and put google maps for mobile or something like that and it should pop up that software install it and then open it i belive it is under menu or something like that there is an option that says use or track with GPS and it just takes a min to tell ur location and directions
Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Thanks
Yes, you can use your phone as a stand alone gps device. Make sure your gps is on by going to start-settings-phone, then click on the services tab and click on the get settings button and make sure it's on. google maps and windows live is not stand alone....they require a data connection to download maps.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment

tphone is becoming a great contributor

I have used the GPS while the phone was in 'airplane' mode. On an airplane, and on a cruise ship off the coast of Baja. So I know for a fact it works. You will get a faster lock if you have recently run quickgps, otherwise you will have to wait while the ephemeris data is downloaded from the satellite, which could take a while.
All this is assuming you have a stand-alone (not network based) gps program and you've set up your device properly.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

PuckSR is a n00b

You might want to check that the software you have indicated the correct port.
GPS is on COM4
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Thanks
I am 100% sure that Garmin works with no service (used it in airplane mode on an airplane )

Not sure about IGO though. I know that TomTom doesn't like to work in airplane mode although it does not require cell service.

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

seti007 is a n00b

Thanks for the answers guys. Tyhe programs I am using are in fact standalone that do not require any data connection what so ever. I know tha googleearth wont work because of a lack of network connection. I guess I need to give it more tiem to get a fix. I will try out tomorrow and see if that works.
Thanks again to everyone that responded.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro