PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Role of UTStarcom for the Touch Pro?

Random question...

What does UTStarcom have to do with the TP? I've seen a few posts about them doing repairs on the TP and other things...

I drive by one of their HUGE offices about once every month... They have a beautiful building. The exterior has different angles and dimensions and the textures are different for each surface. It looks like some abstract artwork.

Here's a crappy pic from google streetview. You can KINDA see what I'm talking about. BTW, that's just the side of the building =]

Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
Re: Role of UTStarcom for the Touch Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Random question...

What does UTStarcom have to do with the TP? I've seen a few posts about them doing repairs on the TP and other things...

I drive by one of their HUGE offices about once every month... They have a beautiful building. The exterior has different angles and dimensions and the textures are different for each surface. It looks like some abstract artwork.

Here's a crappy pic from google streetview. You can KINDA see what I'm talking about. BTW, that's just the side of the building =]

ive been wondering also!
it seems like they play a part with the apache too and a lot of other HTC phones.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

dividebyzero is just getting started

I think they modify it for CDMA networks. I only see them mentioned in conjunction with Verizon and others who use CDMA.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

bigchico67 knows their stuffbigchico67 knows their stuffbigchico67 knows their stuffbigchico67 knows their stuffbigchico67 knows their stuffbigchico67 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to bigchico67

That is my take on it also. I think they are the ones you do the mods so that the phones are ready for CDMA networks.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
No Mo' WinMo :(
Pocket PC: Nexus 7 / Galaxy Note 3 / Droid Ultra

MrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividebyzero View Post
I think they modify it for CDMA networks. I only see them mentioned in conjunction with Verizon and others who use CDMA.
I think what he said is correct or close to it.

But I think they sold their Handset Division a while back. I think to AIG of all companies!

Last edited by MrHawaii; 04-21-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I never did understand the relationship of HTC and UT Starcom...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 PM
No Mo' WinMo :(
Pocket PC: Nexus 7 / Galaxy Note 3 / Droid Ultra

MrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIP

Yup it was sold to AIG. This article was posted in July '08.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/01/qts...markets15.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer

UTStarcom's website hosted/hosts ROM updates for some HTC devices as well.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work

They are HTC's US distributor and support partner for their CDMA products
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I don't work for HTC or UTStarcom so my thoughts are just guesses... With that disclaimer out of the way...

Making cell phones is a very relationship intensive business. Every carrier wants a very close relationship with the handset makers so the phones are tested and modified to exactly what they want on their networks or works. HTC only maintains that relationship with their GSM carriers. Probably because GSM is the larger world market so they make their devices for GSM and employ GSM people to marry those carriers.

UTStarcom then works closely with the CDMA carriers which are primarily in North America (Canadian CDMA devices from HTC are also UTStarcom). This gives HTC the freedom of dealing only with UTStarcom keeping their costs down. It also allows the CDMA carriers to feel closer to the ODM as they work directly with UTStarcom.

With that in mind you can understand the CDMA devices as being manufactured by HTC and designed by HTC as well (since the CDMA is minor adaptations of the GSM variants), but sold and supported by UTStarcom. The closest we can get to this (with an example that we all know of) is the relationship between Microsoft and PC OEMs.

Hopefully that makes sense... Although it is all just speculation on my part.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro