PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: Verizon

jdmst71 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS static location off by 10yards?

When I use google maps at my house (standing still) the GPS jumps around a bit and is off by 10 yards or so from where I am actually standing vs where i am at on the screen. This is with 10 sats locked. This is my 2nd touch pro (keyboard problem on the first). Running SSK 1.8 rom and bored GPS fix. Both of my phones had this issue and I am wondering why? Phone GPS problem or software only issue? I thought this might be interesting to use as a golf gps device too but i doubt it. Although my accuracy there could be better also so maybe its close enough. John
Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: GPS static location off by 10yards?

We should have a better lock on where we are when we get a update from Sprint-HTC this is the problem with all TP and Diamonds
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo3d
Carrier: Sprint

tsbrewers is just getting started

Download freecaddie and see how it works for you. I have been using freecaddiepro and works great on my phone.

Brew
Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

I don't believe these phones have WAAS capability so 3-5 meters of error is considered acceptable for civilian gps devices.

Last edited by Compusmurf; 04-21-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

WiseguyY2K is just getting started

It all depends on the amount of satellites and the software's algorithm in producing the area in which you are in.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

No, it really does not. There are many factors that interact with the accuracy of a GPS unit, whether it be phone based or a real GPS receiver. Weather, physical location, terrain, bunches of things affect GPS accuracy. WAAS capability is at this time the province of real GPS receivers (none phone) and include such manufacturers as Garmin and DeLorme. I have a PN-40 which supports WAAS and when a WAAS satellite is caputured, it does improve location accuracy quite a bit. However, none will get you to zero every time and most of the time, 10 or so feet is good and up to 30 feet is not uncommon - regardless of the unit. Military GPS units are also in the 1-3 feet range in most situations. If you are a geocacher, then you also gotta figure on the "accuracy" of the device the original coordinates were obtained with.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro